Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spot and stalk black bear hunt? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=376785)

summit151 02-15-2020 09:37 AM

Spot and stalk black bear hunt?

I would like to try a spot and stalk black bear hunt this spring. I was thinking of trying wmu 318. I drove through it a bit last year and it looked like good country with lots of logging clearings that would make the spot and stalk hunting better. But the hunter harvest reports show that very few bears are shot out that area? I am wondering which other areas would be worth driving to if it has a better bear population. I am located in central Alberta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzly Adams 02-15-2020 09:40 AM

We have this discussion every year, about this time. :lol: Sure, there are bears around, but they are few and far between and the success rates reflect it. The further North you go, the better.

Grizz

SouthWestRanger 02-15-2020 10:07 AM

I’m going to second the notion that it gets better the further north you go, where in central Alberta are you and how far are you willing to drive, might help people recommend a more productive area

calgarychef 02-15-2020 10:32 AM

With the crops left in the field this year it might make for good conditions with hungry bears and oats and wheat on the ground.

Big Grey Wolf 02-15-2020 10:59 AM

bear

In general very high black bear population in Northeastern (Cold lake) area of Alberta. Grizz eating the black bears in foothills.

Dean2 02-15-2020 11:10 AM

https://www.alberta.ca/black-bears-overview.aspx#toc-0

This is the Alberta Gov bear density survey information. It is old data but the overall trends are probably still close. The density for Swan Hills is well under represented. May not be totally accurate but hope it helps.

Grizzly Adams 02-15-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4111431)
In general very high black bear population in Northeastern (Cold lake) area of Alberta. Grizz eating the black bears in foothills.

Athabasca area was apparently really bad last fall, bee keepers were taking a big hit.

Grizz

buckman 02-15-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summit151 (Post 4111386)
I would like to try a spot and stalk black bear hunt this spring. I was thinking of trying wmu 318. I drove through it a bit last year and it looked like good country with lots of logging clearings that would make the spot and stalk hunting better. But the hunter harvest reports show that very few bears are shot out that area? I am wondering which other areas would be worth driving to if it has a better bear population. I am located in central Alberta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter harvest reports don't mean that much,many animals are never reported.

The river valleys west of you are likely spots in May/early June.

If you can find a good South facing clear area close to timber any bears in the area should show up, especially if dandelions are out.Try later in the afternoon when they seem to be more active.

Hunter4ever12 02-16-2020 11:30 AM

I’m with everyone else for up north. I live in the Hat and drive 9 hours NW every year to my spot. Always have great success.

calgarychef 02-16-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 (Post 4112008)
I’m with everyone else for up north. I live in the Hat and drive 9 hours NW every year to my spot. Always have great success.

Do you go in the spring or the fall?

Hunter4ever12 02-16-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4112130)
Do you go in the spring or the fall?

I always do spring hunt,keep telling myself I should go for a fall hunt every year but then bird season and scouting for November gets in the way. Some day though,I’d like to taste a fall bear out and compare the difference between a spring one.

calgarychef 02-16-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 (Post 4112337)
I always do spring hunt,keep telling myself I should go for a fall hunt every year but then bird season and scouting for November gets in the way. Some day though,I’d like to taste a fall bear out and compare the difference between a spring one.

We got one a couple years ago with longbows and it was in the fall, they’re pretty yummy then.