Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   are there any "open carry" laws? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=288977)

johng 05-16-2016 05:39 PM

are there any "open carry" laws?

Hi, I'm a newcomer to archery and just purchased my first compound bow. I searched for information and couldn't find anything on this topic. Are there any sort of open carry laws on bows? I'm not going to be walking around downtown with bow in hand. But I want to have my bow on a sling/across my back when I ride my motorcycle to the range or crown land. Is this allowed?

backyard 05-16-2016 05:46 PM

don't think there is anything out there to stop you but I have never looked into it either

Scotty454 05-16-2016 08:46 PM

Bows are not covered under the firearms act, and no license is required to own one. Thus, the firearms act transport laws do not apply.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...ex-eng.htm#a4a

Carry away.

arrow dog 05-16-2016 09:18 PM

Talked to Jim at Jimbows Calgary and he was telling us about one area down there that you have to have your bow cased to get from A to B. Not sure what area but might be worth checking into. He said game warden was waiting on the road for bowhunters to come out of the bush. :)

albertabighorn 05-16-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrow dog (Post 3231337)
Talked to Jim at Jimbows Calgary and he was telling us about one area down there that you have to have your bow cased to get from A to B. Not sure what area but might be worth checking into. He said game warden was waiting on the road for bowhunters to come out of the bush. :)

Give me a break...:angry3::angry3:

L.O.S.T.Arrow 05-17-2016 08:26 AM

:D An Axe handle is not a "weapon" either...but if a fella walked into a local tavern with one...it will be seen and most likely be considered as a weapon...

I know of no official open carry laws ...however as above axe handle...one has to use common sense...your carry on motorcycle is I am sure common sense...

Would be better in a case and some are designed for that method of carry...

Neil

L.O.S.T.Arrow 05-17-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

:D I would be interested to know the full story on this??????????

Neil

Mike_W 05-17-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

I believe to cross through certain protected sanctuaries and parks weapons must be cased.

L.O.S.T.Arrow 05-17-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 3231568)
I believe to cross through certain protected sanctuaries and parks weapons must be cased.

:D That should be a no brainer like NOT walking into a bar with your favorite axe handle ...lol

makes sense now!!

Thanks for info Mike!

Neil

Hammerhead 05-17-2016 08:56 AM

If I were carrying a bow on a motorcycle I would probably want it in a case either way to protect it from flying rocks and other road crap. And let's be honest, why take the chance of being pulled over for it. I'm sure that someone at some point is going to see it as some sort of threat... So unless your name is Darryl and there's zombies walking the earth... Wrap it up!

HoytCRX32 05-17-2016 08:57 AM

I would hurt myself badly trying to draw my bow in my truck
:budo: