Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirits and Beer Choices (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347576)

Off in the Bushes 07-08-2018 10:59 AM

Spirits and Beer Choices

When you guys and gals are looking for an beverage what influences your choice as there has to be a paradox of choice with so many options, or are you simply brand loyal? Cost? What make you reach for the bottle or 6 pack on the shelf?

1886 07-08-2018 11:57 AM

The flavour of it. If it don’t taste good why drink it.

JReed 07-08-2018 12:09 PM

Used to be out of the curiosity of trying new beers and spirits when all these craft breweries and distilleries started popping up. That was when a craft beer 6 pack was around $12

Now that it’s $15/$16 a 6-pack for average craft beers, I’ve gone back to drinking cheaper beers like AGD or Bow Valley lager, which are half the price and almost just as good.

With the price jumps/liqour tax increase every few months, i’ll sacrifice a little taste to save a lot of money. This province is getting crazy already.

Go any other place in the world like the states, mexico, and other third world countries and the beer is cheaper than the water. Except in Canada, why is that?

drhu22 07-08-2018 12:25 PM

Good value
Price doesnt always reflect quality, eg: 3 Winds Grenache (red wine) for $10 is one example

CaberTosser 07-08-2018 01:12 PM

We drink very little so cost is not so much a factor as a dozen beer last me a year at home personally, if we have company of course more will be in order though. After trying it motivated by numerous good reviews by AO members my beer of choice for the last 3 or so years has been Innis & Gunn.

stuckincity 07-08-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed (Post 3808935)
Go any other place in the world like the states, mexico, and other third world countries and the beer is cheaper than the water. Except in Canada, why is that?

Because we have a too-large "social safety net" :sick: for life's losers like addicts, lazy welfare cases, and various other bums that feel too "privileged" to work for a living.

Who do ya THINK has to support them............?

Mulehahn 07-08-2018 04:38 PM

My tastes are very seasonal. In the Spring I people are tired of being cooped up so there is usually a bunch of parties to attend. A nice 6-pack of Lager is light and convenient. In the Summer I will switch to Gin and tonics muddled with of whatever fruit is in season. In the Autumn I switch to Scotches. They are nice to sit and sip around camp and are easy to pack. Winter is Usually about the bourbons and ryes with sodas. You are indoors more, have easy access to mixes, ice.

As for what of each I choose, I was experimental in my youth and learned what I like. Now that I am bit older I stick to it.

Ricochet Ranch 07-08-2018 06:37 PM

I don't drink enough to worry about cost so I just get whatever I like. Grizzly Paw and Rickards are my go to brands though when I need a quick in and out of the store or when I feel cheap.

4K3OGH 07-09-2018 09:20 AM

Lucky Lagers!! $54 for a 48 pack at Costco! cant go wrong! I heard a rumour that they will help you get "lucky" too! :sHa_shakeshout:

bat119 07-09-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4K3OGH (Post 3809252)
Lucky Lagers!! $54 for a 48 pack at Costco! cant go wrong! I heard a rumour that they will help you get "lucky" too! :sHa_shakeshout:

Cheap deal, problem is I can't get it passed the back of my throat makes me gag :)

Mr Flyguy 07-09-2018 09:48 AM

Most of the cheap beers taste like horse pee so I go for flavour regardless of the cost. Most recent testing is Goat Locker Pale Session Ale, pretty damn good!

Dewey Cox 07-09-2018 11:38 AM

I like hoppy beers, but often guests don’t.
I stock old mill or agd and everyone’s happy.

Here’s a fun game: have a corona and an old mill back to back and decide which is better. It shocked me.

huntinstuff 07-09-2018 12:02 PM

Im a cooler type. Lol

Beer makes me feel like a 400 whale

I did get an education a few weeks ago

Friend was challenged to pour a single drop from a full wine bottle into a glass in the sink

A decided to poke her in the ribs with my fingers just as she poured.

She dropped the bottle

$288 to replace her vino.

She doesnt drink cheap. Lol

Au revoir, Gopher 07-09-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 3809325)
$288 to replace her vino.

She doesnt drink cheap. Lol

Yikes. I feel guilty when I spend $40 on a bottle of wine.

ARG

sgill808 07-09-2018 01:06 PM

I like Coors Banquet, not a bad price at Costco either.

I also like the occasional Jager Bomb :)

Sledhead71 07-09-2018 01:10 PM

I'm a Grey Goose and Corona consumer...

jcrayford 07-09-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed (Post 3808935)
Used to be out of the curiosity of trying new beers and spirits when all these craft breweries and distilleries started popping up. That was when a craft beer 6 pack was around $12

Now that it’s $15/$16 a 6-pack for average craft beers, I’ve gone back to drinking cheaper beers like AGD or Bow Valley lager, which are half the price and almost just as good.

With the price jumps/liqour tax increase every few months, i’ll sacrifice a little taste to save a lot of money. This province is getting crazy already.

^Now there's some clear drinking.... I mean thinking....

I have my favorite Rum (Captain Morgan Private Stock) that I will search for the best price. Costco's Kirkland rum is a near 2nd (based on price alone). I've been trying different flavored Ryes (Crown Vanilla, Honey, Northern Rye) but the basic Crown Royal Rye is still a sure-to-be standby. Have never had a taste for Vodka or Gin, and would rather clean paint brushes with Scotch than drink it. My son brings home a nice Tequila now and then - but it's too expensive for the Margaritaville maker.

As for beer, I like the Innes & Gunn Rum finished, but it's pricey. Most of the "craft" beer are way too pricey for my meager wallet, so I'll by the value priced beer - you only taste the first 1 or 2 anyway????

J.

3blade 07-09-2018 06:51 PM

Depends on the day. There are times I go into Sherbrooke and pick out random stuff that sounds good. Polish red currant beer, Belgian kreik, german Radler, whatever catches my eye.

Keep a stock of Tooheys Extra Dry (Australian lager) in the fridge, because it’s awesome in the heat. As is twisted tea.

Definitely like innis and Gunn paired with venison. Or more innis and Gunn.

The girlfriend is into wine and I’m developing my preferences, never any shortage of bottles to try at her place.

The hard stuff, I mostly cook with. Will try any mixed drink that sounds good if I happen to be out at a restaurant. Once in a very long while I find something worth recreating, then it’s off to Costco or superstore for the ingredients.

The last beer I had was $13 a bottle. Only one though. You can drink a lot of horse filtered budwiser for that, but I’ll guarantee you won’t enjoy it as much.

Life is to short to drink crappy beer or bang ugly women :happy0180:

Twisted Canuck 07-09-2018 06:54 PM

Good whisky. Good beer. It's not cheap. But it's good.

Good whisky seems to start at $80 a bottle. Good beer....is good. And not cheap.

drhu22 07-09-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

A tip... a splash of Clamato, AJ, or 7up makes crappy beer taste like nectar of the gods

Twisted Canuck 07-09-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhu22 (Post 3809577)
A tip... a splash of Clamato, AJ, or 7up makes crappy beer taste like nectar of the gods

The Porcelain God 'HUEY' perhaps....

drhu22 07-09-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3809582)
The Porcelain God 'HUEY' perhaps....

St Ralph
Edit: that was not a political comment

grouse_hunter 07-09-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhu22 (Post 3809577)

That vile act ranks highly on the list of worst crimes against man-kind!

I like quality first and foremost; usually it is commensurate with the price.

I've decided to get away from beer due to its estrogenic properties, so its Scotch and only Scotch from now on.

Right now I'm enjoying Talisker Distillers Edition and it tastes like the sea!

Twisted Canuck 07-09-2018 09:14 PM

Talisker Distiller's is indeed Nectar! You are a man of refined tastes!

Smokinyotes 07-09-2018 09:34 PM

My all time favourite is ice cold beer my second choice is free beer. Seriously if it is hot and I have a couple ice cold Luckys that’s all I need.

Spidey 07-09-2018 09:57 PM

Tried lots of different beers but if I were to stick with one brand it would be these guys:

http://millstreetbrewery.com/core-brands/

Excellent offerings across the board. Their lager is my favorite summertime beer. Stout and IPA are excellent as well.

Close seconds (staying Canadian and close to home) would be Grizzly Paw and Wild Rose.

Off in the Bushes 07-11-2018 08:57 AM

Does locally made or sourced products change you choice. Do you prefer Craft beer and spirits over commercially produced ones? If it was a local craft beer or spirit would you be more apt to support it?

Dewey Cox 07-11-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes (Post 3810272)
Does locally made or sourced products change you choice. Do you prefer Craft beer and spirits over commercially produced ones? If it was a local craft beer or spirit would you be more apt to support it?

I pick Alberta made over the alternative, with all other things being equal.
But often a sale price will be the deciding factor.

Positrac 07-11-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Just finished mowing the lawn followed by a nice ice-cold Lucky on the deck. It doesn’t get any better and cheap to boot...

Talking moose 07-11-2018 12:14 PM

A really well done dandelion wine is tuff to beat.