Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mock Whitetail Scrapes (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=388908)

58thecat 10-13-2020 01:55 PM

Mock Whitetail Scrapes

3 Attachment(s)
So if your new or old to whitetail hunting and never attempted this well give it a try as it has been producing for me for 30 years now...what I do is get out and poke around various areas if I come across rubs I will find a limb off a tree near a travelled route and bend it to about 3'-4' off the ground....move all the leaves etc directly below it exposing the earth below then I give it a squirt of Tinks69 doe urine....set game cam up and once a week refresh the ground and check cams....got 5 new bucks poking around that I have not got pics of to date ...well now I do:)
Give it a try as this really works....might up your odds this season and more seasons to come....good luck!

Attachment 167970

Attachment 167971

Attachment 167972

Big Lou 10-13-2020 02:12 PM

Love the mock scrape action. Excellent way to inventory bucks lurking that may otherwise stay in the shadows until later. I make a licking branch, scrape earth and take a wizz these days. The synthetics work just fine but so does emptying your bladder.

58thecat 10-13-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 4247390)
Love the mock scrape action. Excellent way to inventory bucks lurking that may otherwise stay in the shadows until later. I make a licking branch, scrape earth and take a wizz these days. The synthetics work just fine but so does emptying your bladder.

ya butt I got addicted to the Tinks...dab behind each ear, a swig and then spit....wife says you stink...yup its whitetail season.

Stinky Buffalo 10-13-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4247407)
ya butt I got addicted to the Tinks...dab behind each ear, a swig and then spit....wife says you stink...yup its whitetail season.

Too funny!

Big Lou 10-13-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4247407)

Haha! Touché.

buckman 10-13-2020 05:37 PM

I have done it by just peeing in it myself.

58thecat 10-14-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4247522)

Ya but I don't smell like a doe......:sHa_sarcasticlol:

All kidding aside I have shown this to many before and especially not picky people who hunt with bow....gets the bucks right into your range especially if the mock scrape is set up in a transition zone as they just can't help themselves to mosy on by and check it out.....thwaaaaack!:sHa_shakeshout:

calgarychef 10-14-2020 07:43 AM

I’ve used Tinks and I’ve used “chef ****”both will get a scrape going.

bigbuck 10-14-2020 08:02 AM

Anyone know where a guy can get the Tinks Power Scrape Spray? So much nicer to use and works well. Everywhere is sold out or it may be discontinued.

Stinky Buffalo 10-14-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4247522)

Same! Although not sure if they respond well to the heady overtones of beets and sauerkraut....

58thecat 10-14-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuck (Post 4247826)
Anyone know where a guy can get the Tinks Power Scrape Spray? So much nicer to use and works well. Everywhere is sold out or it may be discontinued.

bought two of these at crappy tire.....maybe check out your local store.

35 whelen 10-14-2020 09:04 AM

Been doing this for years ,except i use my own scent.:)

Rackmastr 10-14-2020 10:15 AM

I've never made my own mock scrapes, but am curious about how they'd work in big bush country on a week long hunt if sitting in an area with decent traffic. Have been doing a bunch of reading on mock scrapes so likely will give it a whirl this year!

35 whelen 10-14-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rackmastr (Post 4247918)
I've never made my own mock scrapes, but am curious about how they'd work in big bush country on a week long hunt if sitting in an area with decent traffic. Have been doing a bunch of reading on mock scrapes so likely will give it a whirl this year!

MOST Definitely give it a try set a few up first day there and wait.

Rackmastr 10-14-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4247933)
MOST Definitely give it a try set a few up first day there and wait.

Will do! Always have sat cutlines/blocks/ridges/etc but havent thought of doing that. I've hunted natural ones but never thought of setting one up myself. Will be trying it this year for sure and setting some cameras up!

Skoaltender 10-15-2020 06:47 PM

Key is to drink a bottle of code blue estrus doe urine, let it absorb into your system for 45-55 minutes and urinate underneath a 4 foot high overhanging branch while kicking up leaves.

Moosetalker 10-15-2020 10:14 PM

I save the Tarsal glands off the prev years buck in zip locks {doubled as it will penetrate plastic in freezer} and drip water or fake buck scent into scrape fake or real.

58thecat 10-16-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rackmastr (Post 4247918)

Like I mentioned find an area with new fresh rubs....give them a licking stick and clear the ground right into the rich earth...add a little tinks and a game cam to watch the scrape.....I have shot many deer with archery tackle, muzzleloader too and of course the rifle doing this....aaaaaand when the rut ramps up you will get transient bucks come in and check it out too especially if you have doe's frequenting the scrape....I also found out that if the area heats up the Bucks will continue to make thier own scrapes in the area too which adds to,the excitement of sitting in the dark as the sun rises listening to the chasing and grunting all around you.....after a sit like that you will sleep like a baby....:)

Red Bullets 10-16-2020 06:48 PM

If you plan to hunt around major ground scrapes during rut always watch the downwind side of the scrape. Any buck tending the scrape is likely to hang out or bed downwind of the scrape.

58thecat 10-17-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4249481)
If you plan to hunt around major ground scrapes during rut always watch the downwind side of the scrape. Any buck tending the scrape is likely to hang out or bed downwind of the scrape.

yes not all will go directly to the scrapes but pass by downwind and only do their thing under darkness....I like the timber with the ability to see the field line too...but when a hot doe is on and the big fella wants her and the dink bucks are all worked up man the woods can sure turn into a fast paced circus real quick....all because you started with a few mock scrapes weeks earlier:sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat 10-18-2020 02:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so made another "mock" scrape the other day....now this fella claimed it...hope his grandpa puts him in his place and claims the scrape....:)

Attachment 168055

Attachment 168056

Attachment 168057

either way having fun toying with'em….

58thecat 10-19-2020 11:28 AM

Magic Juice

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuck (Post 4247826)

Magic Juice....I put that $h!t on everything....:)

Attachment 168068

got a few more bucks coming in....just freshened it this morning....:sHa_shakeshout:

Smoky buck 10-19-2020 01:29 PM

Ok just built a mock scrap with tinks this morning so let’s see how it goes. It’s about 50yards down the trail from 2 a buck made so it should not be hard for home to find lol

58thecat 10-19-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4251145)
Ok just built a mock scrap with tinks this morning so let’s see how it goes. It’s about 50yards down the trail from 2 a buck made so it should not be hard for home to find lol

awesome....did you set up a game cam too?

Smoky buck 10-19-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4251179)
awesome....did you set up a game cam too?

Yup one on the mock scrape and one on the real deal. This was a very active scrape line last year so should not be hard to see if it gets results

I will also test one on my next set off in one of my locations that is on a intersection of two major corridors. This area has no rubs or scrapes at this time but sees lots of traffic

Plan is to get a good idea if it’s a trick that is better used under certain conditions

Red Bullets 10-20-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4251183)
Yup one on the mock scrape and one on the real deal. This was a very active scrape line last year so should not be hard to see if it gets results

I will also test one on my next set off in one of my locations that is on a intersection of two major corridors. This area has no rubs or scrapes at this time but sees lots of traffic

Plan is to get a good idea if it’s a trick that is better used under certain conditions

One thing to consider is if the land is being hunted by anyone else too. If other hunters are finding active looking scrapes they may also focus on the area too.

Smoky buck 10-20-2020 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4251504)
One thing to consider is if the land is being hunted by anyone else too. If other hunters are finding active looking scrapes they may also focus on the area too.

I already take the risk when putting up cams, stands, and blinds

Hunt public bush county and there is other hunters around but the number of hunters that get out of the truck is very low. So far knock on wood we have had no issues with other hunters. Avoiding others is one of the first things taken into consideration when I start looking for a location

There does seem to be some extra traffic in the one zone that is open this year so that my change. It is public land so everyone is entitled to the area so if one of my locations I can only just shift to another area.

Worst case I do lots of scouting and have back up plans

58thecat 10-20-2020 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4251504)

Yup but that is to be a chance you take.....many people and I do say many don't spend the time to watch for sign be it new or old....but you are right that is why I set up on multiple areas...always have a plan B.....this thread was soley put out there for new and old hunters if not already to try something new that simply works......good luck to all.

Smoky buck 10-20-2020 06:38 AM

Well you sparked my interest enough to give it a go. Now it’s a matter of playing with it and seeing where this trick might fit into the bag of tricks I use already

Only way to advance is try new things

58thecat 10-22-2020 02:39 PM

a skiff of snow over the last few days....hmmmm….gonna check on things...nothing fresh then go to my last "mock" scrape...what the heck is that stench....ohhhhh yeah baby:sHa_shakeshout:....snow all pushed away....and pizz spots appearing....yabadabadooooooo:sHa_shakeshout: