Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mare's Leg modification. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=250048)

gitrdun 03-29-2015 04:10 PM

Mare's Leg modification.

A friend asked me to carve him a standard length stock for his Mare's Leg. He intends to swap out the stocks depending on his needs at the time. That to me seems a bit odd and time consuming. What if I were to build or mod the existing short stock to incorporate an adjustable rear piece that uses internal rods to go from short to standard shouldering length by pulling out the rear portion? Just an idea which would require some design work and experimentation. I don't have one of those guns nor do they fit my purposes but seemingly there are a lot of folks that wish for a longer stock. Would this be a feasible project worth persuing?

Fredo 03-29-2015 04:49 PM

Some people already do that. They drill the buttplate and add an extension. It looks just plain horrible:)

I'm trying to find a way to adapt a shortened AR 15 buffer tube to this rifle. My intention is to keep the rifle as compact as it is, with the added value of an expandable stock.

The exotic wood used by Cheapo, sorry Chiappa, is terribly soft and very fragile. Difficult to work with, if not impossible.

The way the stock is connected to the action gives quite a challenge to work on.

Anyway, the purpose of this gun is to be shot from the hip or pistol-style...

I'll be interested if you can update us with your progress.

colroggal 03-29-2015 05:04 PM

I made an extension for mine (rossi) out of a scrap piece of 8 quarter oak I had kicking around. It uses a dowel in the center and the original butt plate screws fitted through 3/8's holes cut in the oak. Works just fine. Not the prettiest piece but it turns a gimmick gun into a functional piece. Only problem is I cut the lop too short for my Orangutan arms.

Colin

gitrdun 03-29-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo (Post 2782959)
Some people already do that. They drill the buttplate and add an extension. It looks just plain horrible:)

I'm trying to find a way to adapt a shortened AR 15 buffer tube to this rifle. My intention is to keep the rifle as compact as it is, with the added value of an expandable stock.

The exotic wood used by Cheapo, sorry Chiappa, is terribly soft and very fragile. Difficult to work with, if not impossible.

The way the stock is connected to the action gives quite a challenge to work on.

Anyway, the purpose of this gun is to be shot from the hip or pistol-style...

I'll be interested if you can update us with your progress.

I want to make it nice to look at, easy to use, well fitting. Thus why I ask for input such as yours.

colroggal 03-29-2015 05:32 PM

Gitrdun, is the Chiappa a m92 clone or something else? I ask because I know boyd's sells full length stocks that require only basic fitting for a 92. They supposedly work on a ranch hand. Just a thought, get one of them, cut it to fit the mare's leg configuration and have the extension (now stained to match with matching wood grain) set up to thread on like two halves of a pool que. Only problem would be matching the stain to the forend.

I just thought of this - might have go ahead and order on of those full length stocks 'cause what I got is honestly butt-ugly.:)

Colin

Erickson6111 11-15-2017 02:52 PM

So, did anyone figure this out yet? Id love to have a removable a extension or side folder on my ranch hand.

SamSteele 11-15-2017 02:56 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...151ec1cbb6.jpg

I called Henry and they sent me a full buttstock for $60 US, including shipping. One bolt to change it out.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer2 11-15-2017 03:52 PM

easier

Unless you like the work and have the time to buy one.

Bowser 11-19-2017 07:44 PM

[IMG]cid:b743a0c2-9f42-40f9-b596-fc647fb72763@namprd13.prod.outlook.com[/IMG]

Here is mine in 44 Mag. Restocked it with Winchester walnut and steel butt plate. Very fun to shoot.

Bowser 11-19-2017 08:00 PM

Mares Leg Mod.

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 139832

Here is mine in 44 Mag. Restocked it in Winchester walnut and steel butt plate. Tons of fun to shoot.

Bluedog 11-20-2017 10:10 AM

The son-in law and I both bought Boyd's Rossi 92 full length stocks and new rear sights. Both guns are now very reliable and accurate.
Bluedog

Pioneer2 11-20-2017 10:19 AM

sights

These guns should never have left the factory with unregulated sights. Useless without the full stock IMO

dewalt18 11-20-2017 07:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, how long overall doe the ranch hands end up being after a full stock? I'd be interested to know also what kind of accuracy people get from them (after changing out the horrible sights). I'm thinking a full stocked 44mag or 45LC would make a fun little truck gun