Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moose or Mule (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365426)

bassel 06-19-2019 09:59 AM

Moose or Mule

Hey guys this year I’m going to be getting my mule buck and bull moose should I just get the moose this year and then next year get the mule and my brother already has a mule this year. Let me know I wanna be able to change it before the deadline of the draws.
Thanks

Rackmastr 06-19-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassel (Post 3990862)
Hey guys this year I’m going to be getting my mule buck and bull moose should I just get the moose this year and then next year get the mule and my brother already has a mule this year. Let me know I wanna be able to change it before the deadline of the draws.
Thanks

I hope this is a joke or just trying to boost post count. Only you would be the one to actually answer that question lol

bassel 06-19-2019 10:06 AM

I’m just wondering i don’t no if I should get both this year or save one for the year after

KyleSS 06-19-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassel (Post 3990867)
I’m just wondering i don’t no if I should get both this year or save one for the year after

My experience is that when you pull two coveted tags such as an antlered mule deer or antlered moose, you end up only putting partial effort into each tag.

If it were me, I would only pull one draw tag at a time so I could put all my available effort into that single tag.

Further to that, it leaves you another tag for next year to look forward to.

Tfng 06-19-2019 10:10 AM

Pick one and concentrate on that is my opinion.

Deer Hunter 06-19-2019 10:12 AM

Take them both in the same wmu. You're not getting any younger, and the priority line up isn't getting any shorter.

bassel 06-19-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSS (Post 3990869)
My experience is that when you pull two coveted tags such as an antlered mule deer or antlered moose, you end up only putting partial effort into each tag.

If it were me, I would only pull one draw tag at a time so I could put all my available effort into that single tag.

Ya that is what i am probably going to do
Thx

calgarychef 06-19-2019 10:34 AM

One draw a year for me, that way I’m always building points for a “special” hunt.
Then I put in full effort on that one tag and enjoy my experience.

Hunter4ever12 06-19-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSS (Post 3990869)

This! Keep it simple.

SageValleyOutdoors 06-19-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter (Post 3990873)
Take them both in the same wmu. You're not getting any younger, and the priority line up isn't getting any shorter.

I agree with this - IF you hunt the same zone for both species. you’re gonna be hunting the hell out of the area for one, and chances are good you’ll be seeing the other.
Two years ago, my cousin applied for moose and mule deer in the same zone and while we were out concentrating on getting his moose in late September, he arrowed a 190” mule deer. He couldn’t have done that if he hadn’t applied for both.

Having said that, if you’re hunting two different zones for each animal, i would definitely concentrate on one this year, and pull the other tag next year.

Dean2 06-19-2019 11:41 AM

Are big Mulies available in the same zone you want to hunt moose. I know they aren't where we hunt. If yes, draw two, if no pretty simple, save one for next year unless you can afford to spend a month on each tag in one year..

mulecrazy 06-19-2019 11:54 AM

depends on what kind of priority we are talking about. if you have a 12 on moose and a 6 on mule deer I would be doing one per year. However, if this a zone where you can get a moose tag every 2-3 years then its not a big deal to get them both.

Dubious 06-19-2019 11:57 AM

Always just pull one “main” hunt each year. I know guys that like to pull every pri they have the same season and the often get left with tag soup. If you know your zones and your priority’s you can get a rotation going and have a special hunt every season.

UngulateMeatEater 06-19-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors (Post 3990917)
I agree with this - IF you hunt the same zone for both species. you’re gonna be hunting the hell out of the area for one, and chances are good you’ll be seeing the other.

Two years ago, my cousin applied for moose and mule deer in the same zone and while we were out concentrating on getting his moose in late September, he arrowed a 190” mule deer. He couldn’t have done that if he hadn’t applied for both.

Having said that, if you’re hunting two different zones for each animal, i would definitely concentrate on one this year, and pull the other tag next year.

I second this response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaver hunter 06-19-2019 12:07 PM

Are you bow hunting as well? That changes things. I should get my bull draw this year and I have a full week off during the rut and good permission in a spot with big bulls. So I should have a good chance during that week. Then I have all of my days off in October to sit for whitetail. November will be focused on mule deer with the rifle. Best case scenario is if I kill a whitetail in September as I did last year, then that opens up ALOT of time. If you’re like some guys I know and only get two weekends in November from the wife, definitely DON’T do it. It all depends how much time you have.