Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hunting season prep (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=385467)

obsessed1 07-31-2020 07:18 PM

Hunting season prep

So what are your hunting season prep shooting drills?

Staple a pie plate to a tree, step back a few paces, shoot at it and call it good to go? Jk lol

My hunting/ shooting practice is done all year long so I'm not rushed right before season trying to get " on paper"

I practice hunting position shooting every time I am out and dry fire at least a few times a week off hand in my yard aimed at a 6" target set out at 80 yds. I practice this as more snap shooting than taking time to aim. Calling shots correctly takes some skill but I have noticed my off hand getting better in live fire practice.

What are you guys doing to prep?

buckman 08-01-2020 10:02 AM

I very,very rarely shoot offhand at game, but do practice the shot.

I shoot mostly off my bi-pod, bench, sitting and prone.

Also leaning on a tree or over a jacket/pack works well for me.

Sashi 08-01-2020 10:36 AM

After shooting different loads all summer, I pick the cartridges I am going to use for hunting. I then shoot a couple groups of these to insure I am sighted in, 3" hi at 100 yds. Put the rifle away for hunting season.

Dick284 08-01-2020 11:03 AM

Shooting year round, in as many of the varied positions a guy might get into while in the field, means prep is continual.

Pathfinder76 08-01-2020 11:24 AM

:-)

https://youtu.be/8zKoC-HMLEY

35 whelen 08-01-2020 12:31 PM

I don't shoot year-round but I do cite my gun in every year and practice offhand shots, my last three animals were taken off hand, sometimes it makes a difference of a kill and not a kill if you can get off a shot before setting up a tripod or looking for a tree to set up on, most people couldn't shoot a pie plate at a hundred yards offhand.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

teledogs 08-01-2020 12:41 PM

Shoot! Shoot paper, shoot coyotes, shoot gophers, shoot steel, shoot! Try different bullets, powder, and brass and shoot some more. Did I mention shooting! I like shooting:)

Prairiekid 08-01-2020 02:11 PM

Personally I am shooting my bow 3-4 times a week and I find that does transfer over to the rifle when the time comes.

I like to go out shooting rifles with my wife in tow, I know it makes her a lot more confident when she has more time behind a trigger. She is quite a good shot but I like to spend time where she has the opportunity to try a few different shooting positions. For practice I usually find a target ie can or golf ball and hang it off something that has a safe backdrop, maybe a low tree or some deadfall. Then we basically take shots from different positions/distances. If you make your shot the other person has to make it otherwise you get a point, if you miss then they get to choose the position/distance. This is just out in the bush where the backdrop is good and I don't have to worry about a firing line.

Bushleague 08-01-2020 05:56 PM

Shoot 3 shots at 100 to make sure she's sighted in and call it good... well, with my Lee Enfields thats about all I do, and to be honest it seems to be more than is needed. With those industrial grade irons and 2 piece stocks they just dont seem to ever move, even if you use them as a canoe paddle or drive tent pegs with them. The scoped rifles get some range time.

For the nut behind the bolt, I do a ton of dry firing. My yard is about 100 yards long and I have a small square of orange duct tape stuck to a tree at the back. I throw the gun up to my shoulder, flip the safety off, and try to "shoot" the duct tape in less than 3 seconds. Then I cycle the bolt and put the safety back on to complete the sequence. I try and shoot that tape about a dozen times every evening coming into the hunting season, less frequently throughout the year but I do it regularly.

Most of my shot opportunities are short, close, and sudden, having my muscle memory built up so that the shot happens instinctively has more impact on my success than a summer of trying to shoot golf ball size groups at 200+ yards off a rest. The longer I hunt, the more time I allot to scouting rather than the range.

Jerry D 08-02-2020 01:36 PM

I shoot the .22 the most,

If I am able I start far away, and move closer to the target finding new positions along the way. A stump, a branch
a crotch or fallen log, a rock etc.

Also shoot for groups for paper punching only. Once sighted in purchase a 3/8" ar500 gong in a suitable size like 10" or a variety depending on skill and have at it or any other "reactive" target.