Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Using the new tag system (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=34554)

Rob Miskosky 06-01-2009 03:03 PM

Using the new tag system

Thought I would shed some light on the "online" licence purchasing and tagging system now in effect.

First off, if you are going to purchase a licence online you will need a valid credit card, an email address, access to a computer with an internet connection, and a printer to print your licences. All of your online purchases will be made at www.albertarelm.com So make sure you register and have an account set up.

If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s), you must use an online paper tag. This is a paper tag identical to the one you currently get when you purchase your licence at a licence issuer (it should be noted that you can still purchase a licence and receive a tag at a licence issuer if you wish - you do not have to purchase online if you don't want to).

Below is what the online tag looks like.

You can pick up an online tag(s) at any Fish and Wildlife District office or Licence Issuers free of charge, or at any of the following locations:

In Edmonton:
Alberta Professional Outfitters Society
3802 - 49 Ave #100, Stony Plain, AB
780-414-0249

Alberta Hunter Education
#88, 4003-98 Street Edmonton, AB
780-466-6682

Alberta Fish and Game Association
6924-104 Street Edmonton, AB
780-437-2342

Information Centre Main Floor
9920-108 Street Edmonton, AB
780-422-2079

Sports Scene Publications
10450 - 174 Street Edmonton, AB
780-413-0331

In Sherwood Park:
Alberta Conservation Association
101-9 Chippewa Road Sherwood Park, AB
780-410-1999

In Calgary:
Alberta Hunter Education
911 Sylvester Cr. SW Calgary, AB
403-252-8474

You will need the online tag before you can purchase a licence at www.albertarelm.com.

The online paper tag(s) contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You are required to enter it when making your purchase at www.albertarelm.com.

Print your licence once your purchase is complete. You do not need to wait for a licence to be mailed to you or go to another location to pick it up. If you lose your online licence, you can reprint the licence online at no cost.

Now all you have to do to activate your tag is fill in the blanks on the tag - Species, your WIN and your Name. Your licence (printed from www.albertarelm.com) will reflect the tag number you entered when you purchased your licence(s). This is why you need your online tag before making a licence purchase. Make sure the information you enter on your tag reflects the licence you purchased e.g; white-tailed deer, moose, elk etc.

If you are successful in harvesting an animal you purchased a licence for, then just apply your tag to the animal the same way you did in the past - with a wire. If you don't have a wire you can use just about anything as long as the tag is secured to the animal as stated in the hunting regulations under "Tagging".

If you have extra online tags do not throw them away, they can be used next year.

All yellow tags are no longer valid - only the "new" green tags can be used.

Hope this helps.

chuck0039 06-01-2009 03:16 PM

That's great. I was wondering how they would deal with purchasing hunting licence online, after I purchased my fishing licence online. Hopefully one day they can get rid of all the paper we have to carry ( other than the tags maybe) and the F&W guys can carry those little wireless debit type machines and just swipe you win card to see all the licence we have purchased.

Maybe in the future

Thanks for the Info Rob.

lake side 06-05-2009 06:43 PM

great idea, had those issued to me last year. if they can only figure out a better system than those "some time stick tags":tongue2: tagging a bull moose in 3' of wet snow and wind is no fun with those things. always carry a roll of some kind of tape. my F+W buddy told me, might save a bogus charge.

flygirrl 06-06-2009 06:34 PM

Tags

I agree, I get frustrated with all the tags we have to carry and just wish it was attached to your win card and as you suggested they carry a debit like system and swipe your card to see your license. Same as fishing licenses, you should be able to purchase your fishing license for the five years your win card is good for, of course if they go up from year to year they lose a bit but It would be better than buying every year, and same here if they could swipe your card to see if you have a fishing license. real pain, if Im in the boat I have to carry my license, same if Im out fly fishing a river or if Im in the pontoon boat. I dont carry my purse:lol: so my license goes around and around. I learned the hard way as I was up the Blackstone ready to go fish and realised I left my license in the boat, I had to drive to Nordegg for a reprint, I now purchase reprints and keep 1 in my tackle box, 1 in my waders and one in the boat. Alas what a pain.....:o

James M 06-06-2009 07:32 PM

You seem like you're the type that should purchase online, then print it 10 times. :lol: Save you money on reprints.

nube 06-22-2009 09:08 AM

I think I may be a little confused on this and this may be a dumb question but what is stopping a guy to print off ten tags and write in whatever he wants and shoot 10 whitetails or whatever he wants. It seems that unless a fish cop actually checks the numbers out then a guy can do whatever he wants. Am I wrong here? I can't see a fish cop running all the numbers on his computer to see if the guy actually has the tag he says he has. I just wonder if this is the best system or not. What do you guys think. Maybe it is all good and I just need to edumacate myself a little more on how this all works

sheephunter 06-23-2009 05:34 PM

Tag number needs to match the number on your licence. Each tag has a unique number that must be entered to purchase your licence. If the tag number on your licence doesn't match the tag on the deer, you go to jail. All the fish cop needs to do is check your licence and tag against each other. You need to carry both so he doesn't need to run anything. The system is pretty fool proof but I'm sure some fools will try. I think the system is awesome. It's basically the same as before but now you can buy your licence from home in the comfort of your underwear.

nube 06-23-2009 10:14 PM

good to know. I am sure theree will be a few caught this year trying to outsmart the system.

sheephunter 06-23-2009 10:23 PM

There always are!

James M 06-24-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 339899)
All the fish cop needs to do is check your licence and tag against each other. You need to carry both so he doesn't need to run anything.

Seems more of a pain than before.....I've never been asked for the white paper licence before.

Supermag 07-31-2009 08:35 AM

The only problem I have with it is, they only sent 2 tags. If I have to drive to the F&W office to get more, then go home to buy them, print the licence, make sure I write the right stuff on each tag...etc, then why wouldn't I just drive to Wholesale Sports, buy some supplies and leave with all my tags and licences?

sheephunter 07-31-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_m (Post 340218)
Seems more of a pain than before.....I've never been asked for the white paper licence before.

You still needed to carry it though...no different than now. I've been asked for it every time I've been checked.

Quote:

wouldn't I just drive to Wholesale Sports, buy some supplies and leave with all my tags and licences?
No reason at all but for those of us that don't live close to a licence issuer, this is great. Stop by F&W, grab and handful of tags and wires and then buy licences from the comfort of home any time we need them. The systems offers something for everyone.

Supermag 07-31-2009 08:50 AM

OK, I get ya. For me, I am closer to a handful of licence issuers than I am a F&W office.

sparky660 08-12-2009 09:05 PM

Maybe I'm being to critical but why in the hell wouldn't they send the wires to go with the tags???

Rob Miskosky 08-12-2009 09:59 PM

The wire is really an unnecessarily supplied piece of equipment. You can use just about any type of durable material, including wire you may have kicking around your garage. Even string or a shoelace could be used - just protect it when transporting out your game.

chuck0039 08-13-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky (Post 367703)
The wire is really an unnecessarily supplied piece of equipment. You can use just about any type of durable material, including wire you may have kicking around your garage. Even string or a shoelace could be used - just protect it when transporting out your game.

Or if you are like me and have a good collection of wires in a drawer from tags that went to soup that you can use lol

bowshot 08-15-2009 03:45 PM

Works simple, even I got through without messing anything up.
Purchase 1 license, write the species on the tag, pay for it, print off your copy of the license and carry on. Your info is carried forward for the next license payment.
I printed a license on opposite sides of the paper, my tag wallet will be thinner than last year.
Good system.

Terry

shortkut 08-17-2009 08:57 AM

Wow! I think this system is going to cause a pile of problems!

-JR- 09-07-2009 07:16 AM

The way I understand you just wirer on the tag to the animal.
So what stops a poucher from tagging his deer ,taking it home ,then removing it and going out two weeks later or even hrs later and reusing it !

Stinky Coyote 09-07-2009 10:22 AM

they can do it with the old tags just the same as the new tags

this is purely a choice thing and convenience thing....

hopefully it catches on and they can streamline it to save a trip to the fish & wildlife offices for more tags...

i got four tags between me and the wifes draw stuff, then they fish & wildlife office let me have 8 more....good thing i don't need more as i filled them all up

so hopefully in the future they will send you at least as many as you used the previous year plus one maybe?

anyhow, the system rocks if you have access to a printer

i've had a few frustrating waits at the tag counter....i would much rather pick up tags in and out at fish and wildlife office and do it from home

durion 09-07-2009 08:10 PM

If I hold a special licence for Antlerless WT and Antlered Moose, can I still get general tags for my area.

DannyB 09-24-2009 10:48 PM

I'm still confused.
At the relm site, I need tags before I can get a license.
Isn't that backwards?
How do I get tags?

hunt_and_fish 09-25-2009 12:02 AM

^^^
You can pick up an online tag(s) at any Fish and Wildlife District office free of charge

RumRugby 12-21-2009 10:57 PM

It's pretty easy to use, this is the second year I've used it and it seems to work out well, specially with entering in draws and what not, don't have to waste any time on the phone.
The only problem I run into is that they only sent two orange tags in the mail so I ended up going to Canadian Tire to get my tags, which wasn't too bad, it was on the way out of town. I like the fact that you can reprint the licences, I swear I have a copy of my wildlife certificate EVERYWHERE!
I don't think they'll ever get rid of having to tag your game, what would stop someone from shooting two or more animals on one licence if there were no tags?
Another thing I like is that the albertarelm site shows you your past draw priorities. Very cool!

Okotokian 12-22-2009 06:57 AM

I found the new system and tags easy to use. Did have to write SRD for extra tags but they arrived in plenty of time. Nice and convenient.

One thing I imagine now is that every poacher must get a mitt-full of blank tags and just fill them out with phoney info and then tag the game they bag. If the numbers are checked they would turn up phoney, but to the average hunter who may run across them, or the F&W officer who doesn't check, they will look like they are law-abiding and legit hunters. The F&W officer who checked on me after I'd tagged my white-tail this year didn't check the numbers on the tag against any record in the system.

Roughneck Country 03-03-2010 08:34 PM

Seems to me that since I am at wholesale sports or Canadian Tire several times pre-season, it would just be easier to buy them there. License, tags, wire, done. Plus like several people commented they never send enough tags for a guy that hunts a lot of species. If you have to go to F & W anyway why not just buy the tags there. Seems like a few people might be able to use the new system but Im stickin to buying them the old fashion way!

pseelk 07-01-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck Country (Post 526313)
Seems to me that since I am at wholesale sports or Canadian Tire several times pre-season, it would just be easier to buy them there. License, tags, wire, done. Plus like several people commented they never send enough tags for a guy that hunts a lot of species. If you have to go to F & W anyway why not just buy the tags there. Seems like a few people might be able to use the new system but Im stickin to buying them the old fashion way!

Only problem with that is if you lose them you have to pay again for reprints instead og just printing off new ones at home.::sign0176:

Gary K 08-01-2010 04:43 PM

so after you apply for your draws, when do you usually receive your paper tags?
also i applied online i can still go to a license issuer and give em my win card and buy my special licences?

sorry first time in the draws
thanks guys

KegRiver 10-03-2010 11:02 PM

Okay, so that answers the thread i just started, why the system wouldn't work for me.
Not very well thought out I would say. There is NO mention of how to get tags for online licenses on either the AlbertaRELM website or in the regs. pamphlet.

Now I know, and I wonder, why? I have to go to town to get tags, I have never lost a license in over 30 years of hunting, so what advantage or convenience does buying half the paper online offer me?

I know from past experience that the local Fish & Wildlife office is only open a couple of days a week and most days one has to wait for a considerable amount of time for the warden to finish whatever he is doing before he gets to dealing with you. Then I have to go home, fire up the computer, go online order and pay for my license/licenses and print same.

Or I can go to the local Macleods, Home Hardware, Service Station, or any of a number of other stores and in a few minutes get my tags and licenses.
So why would I want to buy half of what I need, online?

Rockymtnx 10-04-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegRiver (Post 698140)
Not very well thought out I would say. There is NO mention of how to get tags for online licenses on either the AlbertaRELM website or in the regs. pamphlet.

Did you actually take a look for this info? I quick search and I found it in two places
Page 9 of the 2010 Draw booklet and Page 14 of the 2010 Hunting Regulations is all about the buying licenses and tags at Alberta RELM.

“If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s) you must use an
online paper tag available at your local Fish and Wildlife office free of
charge. The online paper tags contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You
are required to enter it when making your purchase.”

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegRiver (Post 698140)
So why would I want to buy half of what I need, online?

If you pick up a bunch of blank tags on your first visit then you don't have to go back. No reason you can't do one stop shopping online and get it all there.