Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Maui ? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=391935)

Soab 12-13-2020 04:33 PM

Maui ?

After cancelling Phoenix,Cabo(rooster fish), New Zealand and Australia this year we managed to find a way to get to Maui for Christmas. I’ll bring my rod and try some clousers etc. Off the beaches. We’re staying in waillea, anybody have any ideas where to fish or try ? It’ll just be nice to be on the beach fishing !!!! Take my mind off a bunch of this bs. Thanks

ecsuplander 12-13-2020 04:59 PM

I fished Maui last year. I did not have any luck. I tried to locate some flats to try but no luck. I fished north of Kihei along the mud flats area. I found it challenging to fish with the waves crashing in. The waves quickly bring your fly in to shore, drag your loose line everywhere, and doing this while maintaining your balance is tough. I researched fly fishing there before i went and there is a guide in Maui who seems to be able to find bonefish but I am too cheap to pay for this. Good luck and let us know if you have any luck. I plan to go back and try again.

Positrac 12-13-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soab (Post 4286813)
After cancelling Phoenix,Cabo(rooster fish), New Zealand and Australia this year we managed to find a way to get to Maui for Christmas. I’ll bring my rod and try some clousers etc. Off the beaches. We’re staying in waillea, anybody have any ideas where to fish or try ? It’ll just be nice to be on the beach fishing !!!! Take my mind off a bunch of this bs. Thanks

Wow. We are not allowed to visit family that don’t live in the same house as us for Christmas but you’ve found a way to get to Maui.

No wonder Alberta just had the most deadly day on record since Covid started.

35 whelen 12-13-2020 06:46 PM

Yes it's definitely the wrong decision, my son and his girlfriend for some reason are flying to the island next week to stay with family after how many times of me telling them how wrong that is, but the me generation just has to go drives me crazy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Soab 12-13-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positrac (Post 4286858)
Wow. We are not allowed to visit family that don’t live in the same house as us for Christmas but you’ve found a way to get to Maui.

Ya. You can “ find a way “ to a lot of places right now as long as you test negative before and after then quarantine when you’re back. As I said before it’s b.s ! I can go work on a job site full of people so I can pay my taxes, but I also can not go see family or have them over Christmas either.

Jigsalot 12-13-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positrac (Post 4286858)

You can still fly to the US anytime you want. Can’t drive there unless you have family. 14 quarantine when you get back unless you fly out of Calgary I believe. It’s a bad idea to fly anywhere right now even in Canada. You get sick in the states good luck with that.

thumper 12-14-2020 12:32 AM

The poor guy's asking for fishing tips, and all he gets is finger wagging!

Smoky buck 12-14-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 4287114)

Someone probably already called the Covid rat line to see if he is being evil too lol

Welcome to 2020/2021

ecsuplander 12-14-2020 07:36 AM

Ha Ha that derailed fast.

robson3954 12-14-2020 08:45 AM

Traveling during this time aside... as mentioned, there’s apparently some flats that host some bones, but I don’t know where they are. I bet you’d have the most luck casting off of rocks on the south side of the island through to Hana. .

SNAPFisher 12-14-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soab (Post 4286943)
Ya. You can “ find a way “ to a lot of places right now as long as you test negative before and after then quarantine when you’re back. As I said before it’s b.s ! I can go work on a job site full of people so I can pay my taxes, but I also can not go see family or have them over Christmas either.

Understood. I just flew down to Arizona on the 6th and drove back - got back late Saturday - worst drive ever due to roads in Idaho and Montana. It was all checked out as okay ahead of leaving with Alberta Health and the border crossing. Didn't want to do it but we sold our house down in AZ and had to drive the our vehicle back and got our personal effects out of there.

I wouldn't choose to do it for recreational purposes. If you do go to Maui, I do wish you the best of success in fishing and hope you do great. And, I hope you stay completely healthy.

WildCats 12-14-2020 12:08 PM

John John Tabon owns/operates "Local Knowledge" fishing tours out of Kihei, Maui. He was quite reasonably priced and he will put you on Bonefish without question, half day or full day tours. The Hawaii Bones are donkeys, easily some of the biggest you'll find. Most of the good reefs are all off shore and a boat or kayak is required to get there, although they are only a short distance off the beach. There is places that are good on the beaches at low tide, just need to explore. The offshore reefs were unreal at low tide, ankle deep water and schools of big bones cruising.

A sand shrimp imitation is key, 9/10 weight and minimum 12 lb leader. They'll pop anything less in 2 seconds flat. As with any corral environment, keep your road as high as possible and do your best to keep them on a short leash. There is some big jacks on those reefs to.

Good Luck!
WC

Soab 12-14-2020 05:26 PM

Thanks for the info wildcats. I’ve reached out to Jon Jon hopefully I get a chance to go for some bones. Haven’t caught one yet

Grizzly Adams 12-14-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

https://globalnews.ca/video/7475859/...new-covid-test

Grizz

Grizzly Adams 12-14-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Lot's of options if you fly.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7475859/...new-covid-test

Grizz

Sask Bearman 12-14-2020 07:18 PM

Have a great trip! Wish I was going this year. Even if the fish don't bite the food will be good, sun warm and the beer cold.

Soab 12-14-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sask Bearman (Post 4287631)
Have a great trip! Wish I was going this year. Even if the fish don't bite the food will be good, sun warm and the beer cold.

Bingo!!! Thanks bearman! Going to enjoy the hell outta this trip

vinny 12-15-2020 07:09 AM

Enjoy some warm weather and an escape from the craziness! Can't wait to travel again. I may be a tad bit jealous!

Jigsalot 12-15-2020 09:12 AM

Have a great time. I was planning to be there last Xmas but that don’t work out. Should be a blast and some fish pics if you can.

crazy_davey 12-15-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4287143)
Someone probably already called the Covid rat line to see if he is being evil too lol

Welcome to 2020/2021

Exactly!

Ignore the old ninny’s and enjoy your trip! Sounds like an awesome time.

WildCats 12-15-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCats (Post 4287378)
John John Tabon owns/operates "Local Knowledge" fishing tours out of Kihei, Maui. He was quite reasonably priced and he will put you on Bonefish without question, half day or full day tours. The Hawaii Bones are donkeys, easily some of the biggest you'll find. Most of the good reefs are all off shore and a boat or kayak is required to get there, although they are only a short distance off the beach. There is places that are good on the beaches at low tide, just need to explore. The offshore reefs were unreal at low tide, ankle deep water and schools of big bones cruising.

A sand shrimp imitation is key, 9/10 weight and minimum 12 lb leader. They'll pop anything less in 2 seconds flat. As with any corral environment, keep your road as high as possible and do your best to keep them on a short leash. There is some big jacks on those reefs to.

Good Luck!
WC

You bet. Also does kayak tours for Wahoo, Mahi and bottom fish. Chance to catch tuna and billfish at certain times of the year as well. Have a good trip!

WC

Red Bullets 12-19-2020 01:00 AM

Look into hunting on Maui too. A fellow I know went bow hunting there and ended up getting a wild boar, goat and an axis deer. Might not be expensive to do a DIY hunt.

Some info.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/o...waii#gs.nx8954