Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   30-06 into a 25-06 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=359508)

SWODM3 02-16-2019 01:58 PM

30-06 into a 25-06

I have been throwing the idea around and have a Remington 700 chambered in 30-06. I was wondering if a guy wanted to change it over to be a 25 would you simply change the barrel? Would there be more work to it or is it that straight forward? Also what barrels would you be looking at for a hunting rifle?

260 Rem 02-16-2019 02:09 PM

Changing from 30-06 to 25-06 requires a different barrel with a chamber cut to the 25-06 cartridge. If trying to do the replacement with a “take-off” barrel from another Rem 700, it would still need to be checked for proper headspace which may dictate that a reamer be run into the chamber. I suspect that would cost near the same as a fresh chamber job.
Probably best advice is to buy a new barrel and have it chambered by a “Smith”. The cost of most aftermarket barrels is similar so price wise one brand may not much advantage over another. Bottom line to have a new barrel, chambered, installed, surface finished will be close to $1K. Probably could buy a new Rem 700 in 25-06 for less?

360hunt 02-16-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWODM3 (Post 3932098)
I have been throwing the idea around and have a Remington 700 chambered in 30-06. I was wondering if a guy wanted to change it over to be a 25 would you simply change the barrel? Would there be more work to it or is it that straight forward? Also what barrels would you be looking at for a hunting rifle?

The man you should talk to is Dennis Sorenson. He is known for specializing in Remington 700's. I have had gun smithing done buy him and couldn't be happier.
He business name is Guntech. His reputation will speak for it self.

silver lab 02-16-2019 03:36 PM

You really have three options,
Option one: Pick up a take off barrel and have it switched. I have done many and have only found one that didn’t head space properly (a old Remington 600 with a brand new production Remington 700 barrel). Just a quick barrel swap cost around a hundred bucks. One thing you need to keep in mind is the writing on the new barrel may not be in the proper position, easy fix but will cost a little more.
Option number two: Get a aftermarket barrel put on. The last time I talked to Ron Smith ( about a month ago) he quoted me $650 installed, that was chambered, installed, what ever length and contour I wanted. That was for a CFR Winchester. Could be cheaper for a Remington 700? If you want a bead blast finish that would be extra or you could do it your self.
Option three: sell that one and buy a 25-06.
PS: there is a stainless Remington 700 barrel on CGN for $75.00 right now. I was going to buy it just to have it as I don’t even own a Remington that it would fit at the moment. Lol

SWODM3 02-16-2019 05:01 PM

Thanks for the input! I have been keeping my options open so far. If its going to cost as much as a new gun then I might as well own both! Ill talk to some smith's and see what they come up with.

260 Rem 02-16-2019 05:41 PM

I neglected to mention that I would not consider installing an aftermarket barrel without having the action trued.

6.5 shooter 02-16-2019 05:47 PM

In some cases installing an after market barrel may/will affect the resale value of the rifle and not necessarily for the better.

fps plus 02-16-2019 09:21 PM

Installing a 25-06 barrel on to an existing 30-06 is no problem

A couple of issues that will arise :
1 / the writing on the the barrel will more than likely not be in the correct position . Some people care about this others don’t.

2 / the bigger issue is the headspacing will more than likely be wrong . It maybe be as setting the barrel back a few thousandths or may need to run a chamber reamer in to deepen the chamber

partsman 02-16-2019 09:46 PM

years ago i bought a take off barrel in 270 winchester from Reliable, ended up keeping my 700 as a 25/06 and buying a browning BBR in 270, and just hung onto the barrel, just seemed better to buy a gun in the caliber I wanted,
Always look for an excuse to buy a rifle, next one maybe in 7/08.

dogslayer403 02-17-2019 02:26 AM

Another option is order a remage nut from mystic precision have the 25-06 barrel shoulder turned off and threaded through you could pay for the used barrel and machining cheaper than just buying a reamer if you ended up needing one
I did a few barrels up that way and made a switch barrel 700 good excuse to use up the take offs i jave laying around lol
They shot suprisingly well

tim3500 02-17-2019 12:26 PM

Take it to Dennis ( Guntec ) I just had the 2506 -3006 barrel swap done to a left hand 700 action done was done in 2 weeks Dennis is fantastic , Supplied him with a LH 700 Action, Used 2506 take off barrel , Had a 3006 barrel already .Trued the action & bolt face on a standard and magnum bolt, Trigger job on a older walker trigger , Supplied a recoil lug and bedded into a Bellcarlson stock . Indexed both barrels cleaned the crowns up on both barrels and stamped both barrels price was a no brainer also .