Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Elk and black bear in 355 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=298648)

Lifelineoutdoors 09-12-2016 12:11 PM

Elk and black bear in 355

Hey everyone new to the forum!! Headed out for elk on an underprescribed tag to wmu 355 between grand cache and grand prarie, any idea a decent place to start as its a 7 hour drive for me and will be going in blind!! Not looking for anyone's honey hole just looking for a decent place to tag a cow elk, in addition what is the black bear pop like there? All I see is that it's full of grizz, appreciate the feedback and thanks in advance!!

wildwoods 09-12-2016 12:19 PM

Hi welcome.
So you're looking for peoples second rate spots? I would say head up there and get some boots on the ground. You may get some help but probably not. Sucks that the drive is enormous for you but you wont find much help here. Good luck though

Slicktricker 09-12-2016 01:02 PM

I've noticed a lot of ppl start an account then ask for advice on the wmu that they drew in. Wouldn't you scout and then put in for the draw?

st99 09-12-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3327472)
I've noticed a lot of ppl start an account then ask for advice on the wmu that they drew in. Wouldn't you scout and then put in for the draw?

even worst, draw and drive several hours for a unit that locals ignore for good reasons......

Slicktricker 09-12-2016 01:17 PM

almost seems like a waste

MAC 09-12-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3327472)

Quote:

Originally Posted by st99 (Post 3327478)
even worst, draw and drive several hours for a unit that locals ignore for good reasons......

He did not draw the tag. He picked up an under subscribed tag and is making a go if it. No one who wanted the draw lost out and he is making an effort to hunt it. If his other draw applications did not come up this year and he is making an effort to learn and explore some new areas, good on him.

MAC

husky7mm 09-12-2016 03:56 PM

They should shut that unit down for antlerless elk. The wolves take all the calves every year and the few herds that reside there are struggling.
Should be good for bear hunting though.

albertadeer 09-12-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 3327605)
They should shut that unit down for antlerless elk. The wolves take all the calves every year and the few herds that reside there are struggling.
Should be good for bear hunting though.

I don't know how they have cow tags in that zone!!!

What a joke.

To the OP.... Stay home, save a cow elk....

st99 09-12-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertadeer (Post 3327607)
I don't know how they have cow tags in that zone!!!

What a joke.

To the OP.... Stay home, save a cow elk....

our bio want to kill the 10 elk left in there to starve the wolves in hopes of saving the 2 caribou left

birdee 09-12-2016 07:18 PM

tough crowd :thinking-006:
i hunted there last year felt like a month for a couple of days.
not a lot of sign and seen 2 white tail and a lot of oil and gas trucks.
wolves were howling and no elk calls or tracks but maybe i was in the wrong area.

husky7mm 09-12-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st99 (Post 3327628)
our bio want to kill the 10 elk left in there to starve the wolves in hopes of saving the 2 caribou left

This is very likely the reason and its sad. Kill off a species that can thrive to hopfully prolong the demise of one that has been in decline for many dacades. Same bios think the whitetail are an invasive species, prehaps they have expanded their range but that is normal for many species, it always changes over time. We should manage for what we have instead of what we had.

-JR- 09-12-2016 09:24 PM

That whole area is good .Good luck .Post some pictures when you get back.

Z7Extreme 09-13-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 3327834)
This is very likely the reason and its sad. Kill off a species that can thrive to hopfully prolong the demise of one that has been in decline for many dacades. Same bios think the whitetail are an invasive species, prehaps they have expanded their range but that is normal for many species, it always changes over time. We should manage for what we have instead of what we had.

Exactly this!!

newhunterjp 09-13-2016 10:03 AM

Here you will find ppl that th first thing they will do is bitch and complaint instead of helping you with any leads...then you will also find guys that really like to help you....its a matter of finding someone that genuinely liles to help....if i inew the area id definitely would give you ablny leads but I don't...good luck

bucksman 09-13-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhunterjp (Post 3328271)
Here you will find ppl that th first thing they will do is bitch and complaint instead of helping you with any leads...then you will also find guys that really like to help you....its a matter of finding someone that genuinely liles to help....if i inew the area id definitely would give you ablny leads but I don't...good luck

I disagree, his 1 post and join date of sept 2016 are probably why no one wants to help

BigRackLover 09-13-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelineoutdoors (Post 3327424)
Hey everyone new to the forum!! Headed out for elk on an underprescribed tag to wmu 355 between grand cache and grand prarie, any idea a decent place to start as its a 7 hour drive for me and will be going in blind!! Not looking for anyone's honey hole just looking for a decent place to tag a cow elk, in addition what is the black bear pop like there? All I see is that it's full of grizz, appreciate the feedback and thanks in advance!!

Never been there but a quick look at Google maps shows a ton or roads and cuts. Guess I'd follow those until I see some fresh tracks then follow them from there.

Carry bear spray handy. I would imagine a lot of grizzlies in those areas.

st99 09-13-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucksman (Post 3328299)
I disagree, his 1 post and join date of sept 2016 are probably why no one wants to help

Yes and no, it is because there's not much help he can get. The area has been devastated by logging and over harvest (orchestrated by our bio).

Here's a little story:

Last july I pulled out my last trail cam set in 355. It was set overlooking a natural lick, with 4 "used to be" major trails. There's a few nice meadows with tons of feed nearby and steep hills for escape and/of bedding, lots of old rubs. The lick is 5 km from the nearest road, and 1.5 km from the nearest quad access. My camera was there 12 months a year, and in the last 3 yrs combined I got: 0 elk pic, about 12 deer pics and 30 moose pics.

As hunter, we should also be conservationist, not exterminator, just cause it's legal.

Lifelineoutdoors 09-21-2016 12:11 PM

Thanks to the people who had helpful input.. Yes I just started on the forum so it was my first post.. I never put in for this draw I went in to a place that sold
Licenses and when it opened up at 8 for the under prescribed I had about 25 seconds for all the tags to be gone so I never had much of a choice, what are the chances seeing a black bear In that area?

husky7mm 09-21-2016 12:24 PM

Good chance for a bear, shoot 2. Find recent disturbed ground where new grass and clover are growing. ie new logging and pipelines. There are still berrys in the shade.

fogducker 09-21-2016 12:40 PM

There is a whack of oil patch work going on south of grande prairie so try to stay south of that. I have seen small heards all through the area but most of them have been about 80 ish Km south of the city. Just north of grand cash past the mine seems to be not bad if you looking for a cow. Most of if not all of the roads are oil roads and some are blocked to hunters. Finding a couple of good cut lines is going to be your best bet. Look for any recent sign of elk and spend some time there don't just walk past them. There has been a lot of rain this year so telling if they are fresh tracks should not be hard. They will be full of water or washed out if they are old.

Good luck hope this helps.