Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snaring Moose (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=394344)

Reeves1 01-27-2021 03:44 PM

Snaring Moose

Was curious what you folks use to snare them ?
I have one hanging out at my place & was thinking about what size cable to use.

I have some 1/8" ish cable....thinking it's too thin.

Next size up I have is 5/8" with loops made in each end. Too big ?

Also, what size tree should the anchor be ?

Freezer is mostly berries, so an easy meat source would be a boon for me.... although, I've gained weight since being off work. (might be the Rum & Mix ?)

Stinky Buffalo 01-27-2021 04:03 PM

This has the all makings of an epic thread!

:party0051:

roper1 01-27-2021 04:50 PM

Classic Bad Boy 3/8 x 31' snare....3 strand
Anchor to cowboy on horse
Remote switch to activate video camera when snare is sprung.
Send video to Bessie for elk use when they're on posted land
Receive Bessie's Oilers wager earnings in payment

Parker Hale 01-27-2021 05:07 PM

I'm not a trapper, so I have a question. Is that even legal? I wouldn't think a moose would be considered a fur bearing animal and therefore not legal to trap. Like I said, I am not a trapper but am very curious about this one.

Talking moose 01-27-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4319757)
I'm not a trapper, so I have a question. Is that even legal? I wouldn't think a moose would be considered a fur bearing animal and therefore not legal to trap. Like I said, I am not a trapper but am very curious about this one.

You are correct. I think the op is pulling our leg....

Reeves1 01-27-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 4319791)

Me :innocent:

Parker Hale 01-27-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 4319791)

That thought occurred to me about half an hour after posting. Made me stop and think though. I would pay to see roper1 try his idea.

Trochu 01-27-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4319757)

https://media.tenor.com/images/01ea8...2f4c/tenor.gif
I've never seen a moose not bearing fur!

Twisted Canuck 01-27-2021 08:23 PM

It is totally cool to snare moose, the very stealth of it precludes any worry about facing an inconvenient and annoyed Fish Cop. Personally, I think that a good 1/4" cable is adequate, coupled with a dead fall and a winch. So, the moose gets snared, while eating the bait you have put out (that's a given, right?), then as it struggles the winch is triggered and will drag the moose to the deadfall. A nice 3 meter deep pit is perfect for this. There are variations you can use, such as a log that is triggered to drop into the pit after the moose is dragged in, really you are only limited by your imagination. But to repeat, stealth is key, you really want to keep it on the down low. Backing up a cube van to the pit is ideal, and if you can have signage on the sides referring to tofu or quinoa, that is a perfect cover.

Bessie can give you more details, he is my mentor.

Trochu 01-27-2021 08:33 PM

Did he actually use his RAV4 for the deadfall? So, when he said, "I hit a moose" he wasn't technically lying?

Twisted Canuck 01-27-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4319944)
Did he actually use his RAV4 for the deadfall? So, when he said, "I hit a moose" he wasn't technically lying?

And so the curtain lifts. The simplicity of it is brilliant, really not expected from an Oilers fan, but Bessie is a top percentile guy.

Other then the problem with the airbags, but anyone could miss that.

roper1 01-27-2021 08:45 PM

We hear it was a Rav4, but maybe it was actually a Pinto ?

Marty S 01-27-2021 11:49 PM

Is somebody trying to get beat up?

Don't mess with these trappers! Besides me of course...

Could we please have your name and address... approximate time you return home from work or sitting on the bench in the park, do you work? Are you a covid pay person???? You like trudeau and all? Freeland your fantasy woman???

KegRiver 01-28-2021 03:04 AM

A Moose Noose you say. Could make your day you say.

I'd use 3/4" rope you know, cause a Noose on a Moose loose in the Spruce could goose your caboose you know.

Gotta hold em tight with all you might, especially at night, oh the fight would be a fright. At night. But you just might, get it right.

A Moose I'm told, is very bold and hard to hold. So tie to a tree if one is free.
As for me, I'd like to see, if you be, laughing at me. From up in that tree.

Saskfly16 01-28-2021 06:48 AM

Thanks Keg River that made my morning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twisted Canuck 01-28-2021 06:59 AM

Keg River Suess, has rhymed the moose.

58thecat 01-28-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 4319721)
This has the all makings of an epic thread!

:party0051:

I use the ol' able off a tow truck....large loop dangling 8' off the bait pile tied to my neighbours Honda Ridgeline wannabe truck.....

58thecat 01-28-2021 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegRiver (Post 4320082)

I'd use 3/4" rope you know, cause a Noose on a Moose loose in the Spruce could goose your caboose you know.

Gotta hold em tight with all you might, especially at night, oh the fight would be a fright. At night. But you just might, get it right.

A Moose I'm told, is very bold and hard to hold. So tie to a tree if one is free.

Well done sir:sHa_shakeshout:

Stinky Buffalo 01-28-2021 07:41 AM

Snaring Moose

That was amazing, Keg! Well done, Sir.

Honourable mention to TC. [emoji1]

sourdough doug 01-28-2021 09:20 AM

Will have to blame this thread on Covid. Maybe I have some too and it has affected my sense of humor .. Even myself, with my advanced age, have better things to do. Time to load the truck again and get back on the line..

WinFwt 01-28-2021 01:35 PM

That was excellent Keg. This whole thread has brightened my morning.
Cheers everyone. :sHa_shakeshout:

mikey1 01-28-2021 04:00 PM

moose snaring

Back many years ago when there was no such thing as breakaways on snares ,I did catch a young 2 yr old bull moose by the back leg in a coyote snare!...went back home fetching a lengh of half inch nylon rope.I then cut a 10 foot sapling with a fork in it and attached the 5 foot noose on it....I slowly walked up to the moose while it backed up as far as it could go when all of the sudden it charged!,I flew myself backward into the snowbank at same time throwing the sapling and noose over the mooses head!...it was a good thing snare held as his big nose was a foot from me and he was mad!..so to make a long story short cinched him up against a tree and proceeded to pull my cable cutters out and remove the snare!..now I wish I had footage of that!

cornuteo 01-28-2021 06:06 PM

Cables

1 Attachment(s)
Try this...

Savage Bacon 01-28-2021 07:20 PM

Trapping moose. Learned this as a child.

Cable tied back and forth between two trees.

Abe89 01-28-2021 11:07 PM

Step 1, lay massive steel jaw with teeth foothold trap for buffalo.
1b: once buffalo is trapped and injured, win buffalos trust and become his friend by caring for buffalo and feeding him carrots

Step 2 ride buffalo up to calf moose. Buffalo is there for deterrent and protection from mother.
2b rope calf and tie to stake in ground
2c hurriedly erect a live cage trap built out of 18” pine, 14 ft tall, 4 feet buried in ground. Each wall should be 8ft long. Should take 30min. Buffalo continues to keep mom at bay
2e calf is moved into cage, hop on buffalo ride away. You should now have just caught a cow moose and a calf to train for later.

Step 3 climb tree branch suspended iver cage, drop noose around cow moose. It’s imperative you remember to attach other end of rope to buffalo to avoid being pulled out of tree into cage and trampled.
3b stake cow out in open field during rutt
3c while bull moose is busy doing moose things, ride buffalo up and lasso bull. Recommend lots of practice on a friend wearing beer helmet to simulate antlers...getting lasso over s 50” spread is not easy but perfectly doable. Moose will be busy, you’ll probably have a few tries.
3d ride buffalo for your life being chased by angry bull moose. You did after all just pull him out from doing what he does best. But congratulations, you Now have your moose. Take a moment to pause and enjoy.
3e not for the faint of heart, ride moose. The antlers make a perfect recliner, just beware of riding in spring as moose may lose antler with you in it, you will lose moose, requiring the entire process again.

Reeves1 01-29-2021 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegRiver (Post 4320082)

:sHa_shakeshout:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abe89 (Post 4320755)
Step 1, lay massive steel jaw with teeth foothold trap for buffalo.
1b: once buffalo is trapped and injured, win buffalos trust and become his friend by caring for buffalo and feeding him carrots

Step 2 ride buffalo up to calf moose. Buffalo is there for deterrent and protection from mother.
2b rope calf and tie to stake in ground
2c hurriedly erect a live cage trap built out of 18” pine, 14 ft tall, 4 feet buried in ground. Each wall should be 8ft long. Should take 30min. Buffalo continues to keep mom at bay
2e calf is moved into cage, hop on buffalo ride away. You should now have just caught a cow moose and a calf to train for later.

Step 3 climb tree branch suspended iver cage, drop noose around cow moose. It’s imperative you remember to attach other end of rope to buffalo to avoid being pulled out of tree into cage and trampled.
3b stake cow out in open field during rutt
3c while bull moose is busy doing moose things, ride buffalo up and lasso bull. Recommend lots of practice on a friend wearing beer helmet to simulate antlers...getting lasso over s 50” spread is not easy but perfectly doable. Moose will be busy, you’ll probably have a few tries.
3d ride buffalo for your life being chased by angry bull moose. You did after all just pull him out from doing what he does best. But congratulations, you Now have your moose. Take a moment to pause and enjoy.
3e not for the faint of heart, ride moose. The antlers make a perfect recliner, just beware of riding in spring as moose may lose antler with you in it, you will lose moose, requiring the entire process again.

Sounds like a lot of work..... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

bluetick 01-29-2021 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First You need to get a set of poles high enough so they cant touch the ground and heavy gauged wire like power cable.
Then a trigger to activate the vehicle to pull it away from the ground !

58thecat 01-29-2021 08:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I need more snares....yard full of meat....

Attachment 170582

Attachment 170583

Who Da Fisherman 01-29-2021 09:38 AM

Here ya

1 Attachment(s)
They have been hiding out at my lake lot
WDF

58thecat 01-29-2021 10:04 AM

ya the momma moose don't like when I walk between her and the babies....puts her ears back and walks towards me....grumpy old gal!!!!!

told her that when her boy toy comes callin' in the fall I will slip a arrow through him....that I am good at but as for snaring not so:)