Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RAM 1500 vs Ford F150 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=247680)

Battery 03-05-2015 10:44 AM

RAM 1500 vs Ford F150

Im torn. I love the engine in the RAM and I am in love with the rambox addition (not worried about lost box space), however I am absolutely in love with the body style and interior on an F150. What would you choose and why?

Drewski Canuck 03-05-2015 10:49 AM

Some people are "Posseurs" and need to look the look. Some are not.

This is a truck, in Alberta, and will presumably be used hard and put away wet.

Beauty is only tin deep.

Look at what it will be used for, how long you want to keep it, and what it MIGHT be used for. That is the wild card, as we always end up doing extreme things with our vehicles at some point in the future, like towing a big boat or trailer.

These days, vehicles are pretty reliable, and cost competitive. Get all the truck you can and play one dealer off the other.

Drewski

Big pete 03-05-2015 10:49 AM

I would take the f150 because I am in love with the Eco boost motor, it's great on fuel and still has tons of giddy up n go

jayboots 03-05-2015 10:53 AM

Drive both and pick the one that you like. Im bias to Ford, as you said I feel the interior is the nicest as is the comfort.. If looking at F150 go 5.0. the "eco"boost has been found to have the same mileage or worse the the 5.0's in Alberta, and if you put any kind of level lift or different tires then what comes on from the dealership. the 5.0 wont be as effected in the mileage department. Plus less things to worry about.... like turbo's breaking.....

Don't have much knowledge on Dodge so I'm not going to say anything on it

Battery 03-05-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 2756356)
Some people are "Posseurs" and need to look the look. Some are not.

This is a truck, in Alberta, and will presumably be used hard and put away wet.

Beauty is only tin deep.

Look at what it will be used for, how long you want to keep it, and what it MIGHT be used for. That is the wild card, as we always end up doing extreme things with our vehicles at some point in the future, like towing a big boat or trailer.

These days, vehicles are pretty reliable, and cost competitive. Get all the truck you can and play one dealer off the other.

Drewski

It will be pulling a 19' boat around in the summer time and mostly used for getting in to town from Airdrie daily and camping/fishing/hunting. I wont be using it for work or anything like that. More of a family truck.

stob 03-05-2015 11:17 AM

My neighbors are ford guys and one just sold off his fleet of 150's at auction because of a design flaw in the cam phasers i think he said. Ford knows of it and it is current in the pre eco boost trucks yet they won't honour fixing their design flaw(s) ... I drive a RAm and it does it all on and off roads read hemi here. Some young ranchers i know are buying ford only because they are the cheapest $$$.... .02

abhunter8 03-05-2015 11:17 AM

I am a ford man but have drove 2 Dodge 1500's for the past 10 years. The Ford in my opinion may be a little better built truck but I have not had any issues with the Dodges. The fords on our fleet at work have had nothing but problems. This is what it boils down to for me... If you want to spend $10,000 more buy the Ford... if not buy the Dodge!

BobNewton 03-05-2015 11:26 AM

Drive em both and pick the one you liked the best.

I drove the Dodge about 4 blocks. Back to the dealer and walked away.

It drove like a big bad ram. Some like that. I didn't. I bought the Ford. Drives like a luxury car and is just as capable.

My opinion.

Drewski Canuck 03-05-2015 11:27 AM

If you are keeping it for a long time, get the FIAT / Mercedes 3.0 Diesel. It is a good engine and will last and last. ALOT of Jeep Grand Cherokee owners with the 3.0 diesel have over 500 k on theirs.

I expect that a chip after warranty will give the 3.0 diesel in these trucks a lot more performance.

Drewski

Mistagin 03-05-2015 11:55 AM

I can hardly wait to get a look at and drive the proposed rumoured new Nissan Frontier. I know, it's not a full size, but if ya don't need a full size it might be worth the wait. It's rumoured that Nissan is thinking about putting a Cummins diesel in them.

Meanwhile, I really like my 2012 F-150. It's only got the 3.7 V-6, thus rated to tow 7,000 lbs, but it gets good mileage. I just did an ice road trip from Fort McMurray to Fort Smith, NWT and averaged 12.7 litres per 100 km. Next week I'm doing a run down to Red Deer and will be monitoring fuel consumption then too ( I always do). The best mileage I've gotten with it is just under 9.7 litres per 100 km - highway speeds in the summer, that was towing my small 14.5 foot fishing boat and loaded with camping gear :). Can't get that engine in them anymore though.

Stinky Buffalo 03-05-2015 12:41 PM

I'd be torn between the two... Both are great trucks!

But chances are the F150 would win out. The main reason is that we like having the bench seat in the front.

The F150 and the Tundra are the only ones with a shoulder belt in that position, plus, they are the only ones that have a proper center position in the rear (Dodge and the new GM's notch out the seat in the rear bench for some reason).

The Dodge's dash also protrudes more in the center. Even with a small person in that position, their knees would be bumping the dash buttons.

Not a big fan of the EcoBoost, I'm one of the ones that had a bad experience. Loved how it pulled, though! We have quite a few in our company's fleet and according to our equipment manager, they are running well and economically. For fuel economy, the 5.0 is pretty close. That being said, someone with mechanical experience posted on this forum recently that the 5.0 also has issues with heads etc. and recommended the 6.2l instead.

Stob, the cam phaser issue is with the 5.4l engine - I think they only vehicle they put that in anymore is the Expedition, if at all. Just did mine on my '05 last Summer at 300K km.

Battery 03-05-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistagin (Post 2756425)
I can hardly wait to get a look at and drive the proposed rumoured new Nissan Frontier. I know, it's not a full size, but if ya don't need a full size it might be worth the wait. It's rumoured that Nissan is thinking about putting a Cummins diesel in them.

Meanwhile, I really like my 2012 F-150. It's only got the 3.7 V-6, thus rated to tow 7,000 lbs, but it gets good mileage. I just did an ice road trip from Fort McMurray to Fort Smith, NWT and averaged 12.7 litres per 100 km. Next week I'm doing a run down to Red Deer and will be monitoring fuel consumption then too ( I always do). The best mileage I've gotten with it is just under 9.7 litres per 100 km - highway speeds in the summer, that was towing my small 14.5 foot fishing boat and loaded with camping gear :). Can't get that engine in them anymore though.

100km for $10 in gas, I could get behind that pricing!

Positrac 03-05-2015 12:55 PM

It really comes down to whether you want your new truck made out of recycled beer cans or recycled Spaghetti Os cans.

Xbolt7mm 03-05-2015 01:04 PM

It's like a gun everyone likes a different fit. To me, a trucks a truck, you can get a lemon in anything. I went on price alone and the dodge dealer was much hungrier than the ford or chev dealer for similar price models.

elkdump 03-05-2015 01:29 PM

Owned my own auto repair business for 20 years, without Dodge trucks I would have starved to death, my kids would have been without shoes,, lmao

Without General Motors/Chev trucks I wouldn't have had the money to hunt and fish on weekends , lol

Ford F Series trucks did not make the shop a constant reliable income compared to the other Big 2,,

So buy a DODGE,

SUPPORT A COUPLE OF MECHANICS AND SEND THIER KIDS TO COLLEDGE !:sHa_sarcasticlol:

dumoulin 03-05-2015 01:30 PM

Once you get own a Ram with Ramboxes and an airtime, you'll never go back...

Battery 03-05-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumoulin (Post 2756508)
Once you get own a Ram with Ramboxes and an airtime, you'll never go back...

That Rambox is amazing. I was really not considering a RAM until I seen one with that add on haha I would love to have a permanent fishing rod holder!

elkdump 03-05-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 2756461)
I'd be torn between the two... Both are great trucks!

But chances are the F150 would win out. The main reason is that we like having the bench seat in the front.

The F150 and the Tundra are the only ones with a shoulder belt in that position, plus, they are the only ones that have a proper center position in the rear (Dodge and the new GM's notch out the seat in the rear bench for some reason).

The Dodge's dash also protrudes more in the center. Even with a small person in that position, their knees would be bumping the dash buttons.

Not a big fan of the EcoBoost, I'm one of the ones that had a bad experience. Loved how it pulled, though! We have quite a few in our company's fleet and according to our equipment manager, they are running well and economically. For fuel economy, the 5.0 is pretty close. That being said, someone with mechanical experience posted on this forum recently that the 5.0 also has issues with heads etc. and recommended the 6.2l instead.

Stob, the cam phaser issue is with the 5.4l engine - I think they only vehicle they put that in anymore is the Expedition, if at all. Just did mine on my '05 last Summer at 300K km.

I also had a 2012 F150 Eco-Boast piece of s$it, gas guzzling piece of crap, death trap on the highway,
A $30,000 kick in the balls to own that lemon for about a Year,,,,

Bought a2014 F150 5.0 ltr V8, runs like a new vehicle SHOULD and gets damm near twice the gas Milage the the Eco-boast could do,,

450Marlin 03-05-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkdump (Post 2756504)
Owned my own auto repair business for 20 years, without Dodge trucks I would have starved to death, my kids would have been without shoes,, lmao

Without General Motors/Chev trucks I wouldn't have had the money to hunt and fish on weekends , lol

Ford F Series trucks did not make the shop a constant reliable income compared to the other Big 2,,

So buy a DODGE,

SUPPORT A COUPLE OF MECHANICS AND SEND THIER KIDS TO COLLEDGE !:sHa_sarcasticlol:

My mechanic buddy says the same thing, basically Dodge are his bread and butter.

Xbolt7mm 03-05-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450Marlin (Post 2756517)
My mechanic buddy says the same thing, basically Dodge are his bread and butter.

If they last twice as long then there's twice as many which would in turn mean more in the shop,,,,jus sayin

Xbolt7mm 03-05-2015 02:46 PM

My dodge would pull my ford to lethbridge an back cheaper than if the ford drove on its own. They are both dependable trucks. The ford with 31,000 km on it averages 13 mpg highway, the dodge get a consistent 19, it's got 18,000 km on it.both are half tons,apples to apples

elkdump 03-05-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm (Post 2756578)
If they last twice as long then there's twice as many which would in turn mean more in the shop,,,,jus sayin

OH NO, I had regular customers for 20 years, over, and over and over, steering,brakes,suspension ,trans, trans case, I love Dodge owners, lol

Same old,same old

The best thing DODGE put out of the factory were the 12 valve cummins and the 318/360 v8 Gas engine lines, and those were abandoned long ago because they were basically indestructible ,,

And even back then the Dodge steering,suspension,running gear and body was of poor design engineering defects and sub standard body metal, etc,etc

Okotokian 03-05-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkdump (Post 2756515)
I also had a 2012 F150 Eco-Boast piece of s$it, gas guzzling piece of crap, death trap on the highway,
A $30,000 kick in the balls to own that lemon for about a Year,,,,

Bought a2014 F150 5.0 ltr V8, runs like a new vehicle SHOULD and gets damm near twice the gas Milage the the Eco-boast could do,,

Odd. If I bought a lemon of a vehicle that cost me an arm and a leg, I wouldn't go back to the same manufacturer. I'm just getting rid of a Honda that needs it's third new engine at 165,000 K, with the manufacturer telling me "that's too bad". I'm sure not buying another

elkdump 03-05-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 2756602)
Odd. If I bought a lemon of a vehicle that cost me an arm and a leg, I wouldn't go back to the same manufacturer. I'm just getting rid of a Honda that needs it's third new engine at 165,000 K, with the manufacturer telling me "that's too bad". I'm sure not buying another

The EcoBoast pee six is a lemon, the F150 is the best truck on the market dollar for dollar as long as it does not have an EcoBoast excuse for a motor

dumoulin 03-05-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battery (Post 2756512)
That Rambox is amazing. I was really not considering a RAM until I seen one with that add on haha I would love to have a permanent fishing rod holder!

Fits guns and also turn into an instant bar too!

Okotokian 03-05-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumoulin (Post 2756635)
Fits guns and also turn into an instant bar too!

Though you're screwed if your a guy who likes a canopy on the back, right? good idea but wouldn't work for me.

Battery 03-05-2015 04:25 PM

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b...8174970b-800wi
this is what dreams are made of boys

Jon 2011 03-05-2015 08:09 PM

I've had my ecoboost since May 2013 and love it. The engine has tons of power, have 30000 km with no issues

Bolete 03-05-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm (Post 2756578)

The only problem with that logic is that they don't last twice as long.

reelhooker 03-05-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battery (Post 2756644)
http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b...8174970b-800wi
this is what dreams are made of boys

Like hell my guns with glass would go in there:thinking-006: