Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cell phone charging while hunting? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=366715)

Pathfinder76 07-16-2019 07:11 PM

Cell phone charging while hunting?

I need some kind of device or combination of devices to charge my cell phone for 10 days. I will be away from cell service so I will be using the phone for the camera and preloaded iHunter map data. I assume it can live on airplane mode. I’m looking for suggestions and am leaning towards some type of single use charger. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

buckbrushoutdoors 07-16-2019 07:14 PM

I bought a battery charger from radio shack or what ever its called now. I use it to charge my phone and inreach when im gone sheep hunting. works good I can charge 3 times which is plenty. I believe it was about 40$

pikeslayer22 07-16-2019 07:19 PM

Look up Black web got mine from crappy tire but amazon carries them also can get up 4 complete charges compact and light

bobtodrick 07-16-2019 07:19 PM

Wouldn’t travel without one of these...not only will it boost your car if your battery is dead but it would easily keep your devices going for 10 days
https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Start...3PEM3VY&sr=8-3

RancheroMan 07-16-2019 07:20 PM

What you are looking for is a "power bank". It is essentially a large battery you pre charge then charge you phone from it. Something in the 24000mAh range should get you 4-5 charges. Some come with solar panels built in.

I also have a jump-start pack from Canadian Tire that has a USB port on it. On a full charge, I'm sure it would keep a phone topped up for 10 day.

marky_mark 07-16-2019 07:25 PM

Goal zero panel and a portable USB charger bank

1bowhunter12 07-16-2019 07:31 PM

I got one from a box of bud light lol .. works good actually ..

sns2 07-16-2019 07:36 PM

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/368589...nks-for-2019/5

dmcbride 07-16-2019 07:52 PM

Small solar panel and one of those batteries specifically designed for charging cellphones. Charge the battery during the day while hunting and cell phone at night.

coxy95 07-16-2019 08:13 PM

I have a High Sierra falcon power bank and it works really well. It has a solar panel and a flashlight on it. We charged the inreach twice and both cell phones last year while sheep hunting and it Maintained 75% charge the whole trip.

edNigma 07-16-2019 08:31 PM

Look up Anker power banks on Amazon. They have some of the best power banks available. I have this one and it will charge my phone 5-6 times. I put my phone on low power mode and only take it out of low power mode once in a while to check ihunter. Doing that I have been able to get 14 days with still some juice left in the power bank.

Anker also has a solar panel I have heard good things about but I have never used it.

philintheblank 07-16-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edNigma (Post 4002397)
Look up Anker power banks on Amazon. They have some of the best power banks available. I have this one and it will charge my phone 5-6 times. I put my phone on low power mode and only take it out of low power mode once in a while to check ihunter. Doing that I have been able to get 14 days with still some juice left in the power bank.

Anker also has a solar panel I have heard good things about but I have never used it.

X2 for anker. I have the 24000 mAh. It worked good for the scouting trip we went on a few weeks ago

Pathfinder76 07-16-2019 09:43 PM

Thanks everyone. This has been most helpful!

bdub 07-16-2019 10:49 PM

I've been using the (same) solar monkey since around when they first came out. Light, pretty tough. No complaints. Power bank would be nice for shorter trips.

Prairiewolf 07-17-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edNigma (Post 4002397)

x2 for these, they're no fuss and you can get models which charge quite a few times. Amazon Prime Days have past but you could have got some good deals too (still worth it at regular price).

WhiteTailAB 07-17-2019 07:05 AM

Something from this site

https://www.jackery.com/

R3illy 07-17-2019 08:39 AM

anker recharge packs are the best way to go for sure.

nimrod 07-17-2019 09:30 AM

Im testing this

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ear/49-24-2371

has a USB port

I already have the the milwaukee battery tools around, just to see how many charges it will give me for the red lithium 2,0 battery, but i do have bigger batteries around, the Lithium red 2.0 battery weights 15 ounce and my battery pack weights with is the xdragon 20100 milliamp is 14.4 ounces witch gives me 4 charges

CaberTosser 07-17-2019 09:42 AM

I have the Milwaukee power bank battery adaptors for both their 12v and 18v batteries and they’re great, they also provide a pretty fast charge rate. Some of those portable solar set ups might be lighter and would obviously offer indefinite recharges as opposed to the finite # from a battery but they won’t recharge your phone anywhere near as fast.

bdub 07-17-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 4002539)
I have the Milwaukee power bank battery adaptors for both their 12v and 18v batteries and they’re great, they also provide a pretty fast charge rate. Some of those portable solar set ups might be lighter and would obviously offer indefinite recharges as opposed to the finite # from a battery but they won’t recharge your phone anywhere near as fast.

You bet. Depends what Chuck is using it for. Solar is light, slow to charge your device and takes most of the day to recharge the internal battery in the solar panel. I start a trip with the phone and the solar panel fully charged. Once I recharge my phone for the first time, the solar panel stays in camp charging during the day or tied onto my pack charging if we are moving somewhere else. Weight on the solar monkey without all the extra crap, case etc. is just under 10 oz including charging cable for the phone.

Don_Parsons 07-17-2019 06:50 PM

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/foldab...7-solar-panel/

marky_mark 07-17-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdub (Post 4002586)
You bet. Depends what Chuck is using it for. Solar is light, slow to charge your device and takes most of the day to recharge the internal battery in the solar panel. I start a trip with the phone and the solar panel fully charged. Once I recharge my phone for the first time, the solar panel stays in camp charging during the day or tied onto my pack charging if we are moving somewhere else. Weight on the solar monkey without all the extra crap, case etc. is just under 10 oz including charging cable for the phone.

Those little solar panels built in to the batteries don’t work very well if it’s isnt blue skies

nimrod 07-17-2019 07:55 PM

I also have a solar panel, but on one hunt, we did not see the sun for 5 days, so now how would you charge your phone or any other unit

bdub 07-17-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4002731)
Those little solar panels built in to the batteries don’t work very well if it’s isnt blue skies

Nope, not the greatest.

bdub 07-17-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4002733)
I also have a solar panel, but on one hunt, we did not see the sun for 5 days, so now how would you charge your phone or any other unit

Pray for sun I guess.

marky_mark 07-17-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4002733)

I have a couple of the batteries with the built in panels and i have a goal zero one also
The goal zero charges things exponentially faster
And it seems to work "ok" even in the clouds
The goal zero works great at charging the battery and you can use the battery for multiple devices

RZR 07-17-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 4002417)
Thanks everyone. This has been most helpful!

Google is your friend!

freeride 07-17-2019 10:44 PM

I also have the goal zero solar pannel, it worked great last year for a week out in the bush. Kept the inreach charged up and cell phones as well for 2 people.

I would charge the phones up and then work on the rechargable batteries. That way everything would be good to go at camp if needed later on.

Its amazing how much charging could get done while glassing the mountains.

Pathfinder76 07-18-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RZR (Post 4002785)
Google is your friend!

I suppose that could be the answer to everything asked here. Where do you think google information comes from?

RZR 07-18-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 4002824)
I suppose that could be the answer to everything asked here. Where do you think google information comes from?

Not here!