Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   crown land shooting illegal?! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=364144)

Mateo 05-20-2019 10:01 PM

crown land shooting illegal?!

monday i drove into waiporous to a side spot where I like to shoot. Brought a couple friends who are both new to shooting. tested some handloads and got my rifle ready for bear. Anyway, we were approached by a weekend camper who said he had been shooting the day before and the police showed up and told them that they cant shoot on crown land. that they have to cease shooting. when asked how old this law was the cops answered " 2 years". I know cops would rather no one shoots guns,.....ever. but this seems extreme. i've never heard of such a law. i'm calling BS. I've seen questionable actions by the police out there. I'm glad they come out. there is so genuine craziness that they out a stop to at times. but they also bother anyone who is shooting.

mattthegorby 05-21-2019 12:42 AM

I was out there shooting yesterday... may have been the specific area you were in that was the issue? I really love 412 and go there all the time. Most weekends shots are ringing out all day long.

KGB 05-21-2019 09:36 AM

Absolutely not! Crown land is good to go for shooting. Just make sure it’s safe.
I went shooting a few years ago with a newbie friends on a crown land. There were some houses a mile or so away. We were shooting in an opposite directions from the houses. Regardless, one of the residents decided to show up and bully us to stop shooting because he didn’t want to hear the noise all day long. We told him that we are only here for an hour or so. He insisted that we have to leave. I told him to bugger of.
When I got home, my house phone rang. I answered and there was an RCMP officer on a line asking if it was me shooting - my car was parked on a road so he got the plate number. I said yes, is there a problem? He said absolutely not, he just had a complaint from one of the locals. He said that he actually drove to our location but decided not to bother us since we were not breaking any rules. He actually even thanked me for picking up all the brass and not leaving any garbage behind.
So as long as you are 200 meters away from the road, on a crown land and shooting in a safe direction - you are good to go.

crazy_davey 05-21-2019 10:11 AM

It’s only a matter of time before target shooting on crown land is made illegal...

Nyksta 05-21-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_davey (Post 3979080)
It’s only a matter of time before target shooting on crown land is made illegal...

Is this forecast based on fact, or is it doom and gloom opinion?

crazy_davey 05-21-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3979082)
Is this forecast based on fact, or is it doom and gloom opinion?

Wait and see. It’s only a matter of time, too many idiots out there and that’s a fact.

Dick284 05-21-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_davey (Post 3979080)

If the dough heads, and thread halves, keep leaving messes, and using tannerite in idiotic ways, I can’t help but foresee this as a reality, too.

Regardless, it isn’t illegal as of today, unless it’s one of the areas all the signs went up down south.

So, with a new Minister responsible, who from down south has been up in his ear asking about more places to shoot down there?

elkslayer132 05-21-2019 10:31 AM

Never heard of this 200 metre from the road rule. Where did you come up with this. My spot on crown land is about 30 yards from the road and i can shoot from 50 to 800+ yards away from road. Fish cops drive by all time and do not say anything.

Scott N 05-21-2019 10:36 AM

Shooting on crown land isn't as cut and dry as it used to be. A lot of the area that people used to shoot on west of Calgary is not closed, these changes took place around 2016 I think, so I wouldn't doubt of there are more restrictions in place now.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...e-Map-2016.pdf

The "free" shooting range that is part of the APRA was closed because of the staggering amount of stupidity / safe shooting practices that were occurring, and some of the other closures took place at roughly the same time.

Dick284 05-21-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkslayer132 (Post 3979089)
Never heard of this 200 metre from the road rule. Where did you come up with this. My spot on crown land is about 30 yards from the road and i can shoot from 50 to 800+ yards away from road. Fish cops drive by all time and do not say anything.

It’s 200 yds from a occupied building, and as long as you are off the legal right of way of a road(1 chain or 1/2 chain)(?)
(And the above is seriously paraphrased)

Where these mystery rules come from is people’s minds, and not the written laws.

lastlatvian 05-21-2019 10:41 AM

Some 4x4 zones like MClean Creek have designated areas further then 200 meters from the main roads. This is because idiots were shooting from parking slash staging areas lots ect. I am not sure about Waiparous but I bet it has something along those lines.

DiabeticKripple 05-21-2019 10:42 AM

They need to open up Homestead range again

lastlatvian 05-21-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 3979096)

I agree but they won't with funding -- too many idiots, the last time someone with a pistol didn't want to shoot at the range so they shot over the barrier hill and clipped another shooter in the hand. It would have to have a Marshall IMO -- and people would need a refresher course for range shooting.

Grizzly Adams 05-21-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Sadly, the Idiots killed that permanently.

Grizz

Dick284 05-21-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Oh you mean the local appliance disposal site:snapoutofit:

If there ever was a case of the half wit, thread halves giving the shooting and gun owning community, a serious black eye, that place was the epitome to show just how irresponsible gun owners and shooters can be.

KGB 05-21-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkslayer132 (Post 3979089)

I haven’t heard of it either until the rcmp guy mentioned it. :)

Don_Parsons 05-22-2019 07:05 AM

Dang Namit,,, I guess I read the rules wrong after all these years,,, here I thought I was only allowed to shoot my rifles with in 200 meters of the hwy...

Oh Boy,,, I knew all along that the guide lines would be hard to """Red.""" Ha.

I'll blame my Jeathrow Bowdean higher learning skills on this one your Honor.

👍

DiabeticKripple 05-22-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 3979120)
Oh you mean the local appliance disposal site:snapoutofit:

If there ever was a case of the half wit, thread halves giving the shooting and gun owning community, a serious black eye, that place was the epitome to show just how irresponsible gun owners and shooters can be.

At least all the garbage was contained to one area that was periodically cleaned up. Now it’s spread all over and not getting cleaned up

elkhunter11 05-22-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 3979404)
At least all the garbage was contained to one area that was periodically cleaned up. Now it’s spread all over and not getting cleaned up

So implement a $2500 for littering, and a $1000 reward for turning people in, and watch things change. For $1000 people will gladly watch out for these idiots and turn them in. A guy could make some good money on a weekend.:)

Don_Parsons 05-22-2019 08:10 AM

The Homestead range is open, if you want to join in with us, buy a member ship. It's just that simple.

Or you can sign up with the other 2 groups out of the 4.

Plus the member ship comes with a few rewards that benefit our shooting sports.

Kind of like a win win. Ha

Our group is packing 3 shooting range member ships this year. Good times fore sure.

👍

antlercarver 05-22-2019 10:06 AM

Shooting

What kind of a hunting season will there be -No shooting on crown land, farmers not giving permission

last minute 05-22-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antlercarver (Post 3979480)
What kind of a hunting season will there be -No shooting on crown land, farmers not giving permission

:thinking-006:If I had to guess there would be more grab and runs .

zouzou123 05-22-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

That's when poaching will be excusable

colroggal 05-22-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Hunting and target shooting are two different things

Colin

58thecat 05-23-2019 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_davey (Post 3979085)
Wait and see. It’s only a matter of time, too many idiots out there and that’s a fact.

Fact!

Crown land enjoy shooting safely but get stupid and you will need to pack up and oh yeah clean up after yourself too but that another thread.....

calgarychef 05-23-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3979405)
So implement a $2500 for littering, and a $1000 reward for turning people in, and watch things change. For $1000 people will gladly watch out for these idiots and turn them in. A guy could make some good money on a weekend.:)

I totally agree with that idea

Nyksta 05-23-2019 09:15 AM

The report a poacher program already covers this

Big Sky 05-23-2019 09:29 AM

Buddy and I have a bet over which of McLean or Waiparous gets turned into a protected area first. Too many users who can't stay on trails. Too many unsafe shooters.

Hopefully they name it after some jacka55 who has been ticketed multiple times. That way we will all know who to thank.

Fully agree that the closure of Homestead has been a detriment.

elkhunter11 05-23-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3979809)
The report a poacher program already covers this

The size of the reward is a huge factor in whether someone will bother turning in violators. For $100 or $200, many people won't bother, especially if they have to testify in court. A person would lose more than that in wages, if he has to miss work to testify. However, for $1000, people would be much more motivated.

Dubious 05-23-2019 02:23 PM

Where does this 200m from a road rule keep coming from. People keep talking about it like it’s law but its more like an urban myth. There’s a 365m in a listed wildlife corridor and those are marked and posted provincial parks and national parks you guys know the rules there and then there’s this in the hunting regs under general regulations:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

8: discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.
discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion.