Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should Don Cherry have been fired - Yes or No (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372197)

FishOutOfWater 11-12-2019 12:02 PM

Should Don Cherry have been fired - Yes or No

Leave a reason/comment if you want, but I mostly want to see the poll results...

I vote :126fs3187425:

gman1978 11-12-2019 12:09 PM

I am sick of the leftist elites and I vote no. It’s ok for a leftist elite to make a any type of mistake and offer an apology, everyone is suppose to accept the apology an move on. A right winger states a fact and they get thrown to the coals.

obsessed1 11-12-2019 12:16 PM

Free speech only exists if your a leftist, LGBTQ, or snowflake. A right leaning individual cannot say anything they believe in. I am far more insulted by comments from the mouth of our pm than this comment by Cherry.

Twisted Canuck 11-12-2019 12:22 PM

If the PM can wear blackface ( a universally accepted symbol of racism) on multiple occasions, and break the law multiple times as well, and get off Scot free....I just don't see the whole pitchforks and torches parade for a crusty old sports guy ranting. At least he was standing up for vets, more than our PM has done. Hell, in Quebec, they have legislated discrimination with Bill C-21! Just the Tolerant Left sacrificing another victim on their Altar of Political correctness, while letting the real hypocrite continue to 'lead' the country.

CaberTosser 11-12-2019 12:27 PM

Anyone who gave Trudeau a pass for his idiotic antics (both before and during his first term as PM) is not intellectually qualified to pass judgement on Don Cherry.

Skoaltender 11-12-2019 12:29 PM

Don said he was given a choice if he wanted to stay or not. He’s not a coward and will not sellout like Ron.

IAMhunt 11-12-2019 12:34 PM

NO , fired for speaking the truth ? NO

Crock44 11-12-2019 12:36 PM

NO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sledhead71 11-12-2019 12:37 PM

I voted no, but I don't pay his wages either.

Smoky buck 11-12-2019 12:42 PM

It’s getting ridiculous and basically no one can speak without being censored or you risk the faceless PC people attacking your character and job

Bigwoodsman 11-12-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4055101)
Free speech only exists if your a leftist, LGBTQ, or snowflake. A right leaning individual cannot say anything they believe in. I am far more insulted by comments from the mouth of our pm than this comment by Cherry.

^^^^^^THIS!!!!!

I voted NO! Remembering the fallen and those that fought for our freedoms is the least we can do.

Those groups above would be snuffed with out a though or prayer if our soldiers never fought for our freedoms and liberties.

BW

Muller 11-12-2019 12:47 PM

My son is an Army Cadet, he took his turn standing guard over night in -23c weather .
I am the proud father of a Metis son... oh, and a poppy wearing immigrant.

Those who took offence need to put their big girl panties on and get out more.

Howard Hutchinson 11-12-2019 12:57 PM

I said no too. I admit it was coming close for Don to bow out yet not on these terms, for this reason or on this day.

LSLAKER 11-12-2019 01:00 PM

Not for his recent comments, however it is time that the clown be removed.

bubba 96 11-12-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muller (Post 4055121)
My son is an Army Cadet, he took his turn standing guard over night in -23c weather .
I am the proud father of a Metis son... oh, and a poppy wearing immigrant.

Those who took offence need to put their big girl panties on and get out more.

Touché Awsome young fellow, I too was a cenotaph guard in air cadets...
I vote no.

IAMhunt 11-12-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman (Post 4055119)
^^^^^^THIS!!!!!

I voted NO! Remembering the fallen and those that fought for our freedoms is the least we can do.

Those groups above would be snuffed with out a though or prayer if our soldiers never fought for our freedoms and liberties.

BW

The reason Canada is a safe-country , willing to provide refuge for these ungrateful slimes, is because others have given the ultimate sacrifice ,

to not respect that selfless gift, deserves a quick ride back where they ran from , no return options, bye bye :mad0100:

Scott N 11-12-2019 01:12 PM

I wonder if Sportnet is second guessing themselves now, after a few people have cancelled their service? I'd guess that most of the people that complained about this to the network also don't actually watch hockey, sports, or Sportsnet generally.

josey 11-12-2019 01:23 PM

I am an immigrant. I didn't feel attacked. I also think he is a colour commentator, nothing else. I am also no snowflake, I can accept other people's opinions without feeling hurt.

IronNoggin 11-12-2019 01:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYP5U23S_Ck

DiabeticKripple 11-12-2019 01:32 PM

If Turdeau can stay Prime Minister after his blackface stuff, then Don Cherry should still have a job.

But whats funny is the same "people" that voted for Trudeau, wanted Cherry fired.

Immigrant 11-12-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAMhunt (Post 4055132)
The reason Canada is a safe-country , willing to provide refuge for these ungrateful slimes, is because others have given the ultimate sacrifice ,

to not respect that selfless gift, deserves a quick ride back where they ran from , no return options, bye bye :mad0100:

You see, this is what Don’s comments cause. People make comments like this: “Ungrateful slimes”.
Should we put the old stock Canadians that did not wear poppies on the same boat or plane?
Come on folks. We are better than this.

elkhunter11 11-12-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immigrant (Post 4055153)
You see, this is what Don’s comments cause. People make comments like this: “Ungrateful slimes”.
Should we put the old stock Canadians that did not wear poppies on the same boat or plane?

We should be better than holding a color commentator to a higher standard than we hold our PM to.

416 Ultramag 11-12-2019 02:24 PM

Such an accurate statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 4055108)
Anyone who gave Trudeau a pass for his idiotic antics (both before and during his first term as PM) is not intellectually qualified to pass judgement on Don Cherry.

Immigrant 11-12-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4055162)
We should be better than holding a color commentator to a higher standard than we hold our PM to. Do you remember:

That 2nd quote about a nation founded by European settlers is not from anything I posted....

Northern Farm Kid 11-12-2019 02:45 PM

All of the comments up to this point are from those who voted "no". I am curious to hear from the people who voted "yes". Everyone be nice!

I sent this text to a friend on Friday so you know which way I lean.

"I am all for immigrants coming to Canada but they have to embrace Canada and and what it is built on and those who fought for this great country.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

We are so quick to forget all the sacrifices people have made for this great country even more so if we don't have a personal connection.

colt45 11-12-2019 02:49 PM

No

CBintheNorth 11-12-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4055103)
If the PM can wear blackface ( a universally accepted symbol of racism) on multiple occasions, and break the law multiple times as well, and get off Scot free....I just don't see the whole pitchforks and torches parade for a crusty old sports guy ranting. At least he was standing up for vets, more than our PM has done. Hell, in Quebec, they have legislated discrimination with Bill C-21! Just the Tolerant Left sacrificing another victim on their Altar of Political correctness, while letting the real hypocrite continue to 'lead' the country.

Exactly.

elk eater 11-12-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immigrant (Post 4055153)

Not a nice comment indeed and certainly not called for but don’t pin those words on Cherry. 100% positive even Cherry would not approve. See, you spread the propaganda yourself by saying Cherry is responsible for this comment. No he is not. No ones innocent IMO. But we can be forgiving and try to understand each other’s point of view to make it work without loping off heads. Like it or not we are all on this rock together so we better figure it out. Although I fear that may never happen.

Malarkey2 11-12-2019 03:22 PM

Yes and hockey should be banned as well. It's a racist sport that's dominated by white men. It is wrong for us to say insensitive things that might offend our replacements.

masalma 11-12-2019 04:01 PM

I am sure he will get a job with rebel media now 😂

Voted yes, some people say he got fired because he stated facts. What some don't understand is that most immigrants come from places that have no peace, no democracy, no safety. Which are things most people who are born here take for granted, so there is more appreciation for it when it comes to immigrants or at least i would like to think so from my own experience.

Don is a sports spokesperson, he doesn't own sports net and his employer decides on what values they want to present, not Don. Can't use company time for your own agenda basically. And that is enough reason to fire someone.

And the brand new immigrants/refugees are mostly clueless to all the holidays we have here, sometimes it is hard to keep up, so our job is to educate them not shame them and call them out.

I got a poppy, it kept falling off after the 5th time I pinned it on the visor of my truck, better than laying on the ground and stepped on. Growing up I was taught that if you are giving to help someone do it that your other hand won't even see it, do not do it for recognition and to show people that you are a giver and a good person. And that always stayed with me, the only time I let someone see it is for my kids to learn about contributing and helping their community and those less fortunate.

That's my two cents. Haven't contributed anything for a while, work/life been too busy, hope everyone is doing well.

Oh yeah for those who don't know I immigrated here 30 years ago with my family.