Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taxidermist in Edmonton (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=138039)

Jimmyjjj 06-21-2012 12:47 PM

Taxidermist in Edmonton

I got my first bear this spring. It is currently frozen with paws and head attached to the hide. I froze it so that the paws and head are on the outside of the pile of fur.

Does anyone know a taxidermist in Edmonton that is a reasonable price? It isn't a very big bear (5' nose to tail). I just want it skinned out properly and tanned (no rug). I would also like the skull cleaned with those insects I can never remember the name of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnB 06-21-2012 01:05 PM

Western fur in Edmonton can everything you want but clean up the skull; that you could do yourself. Google or Youtube will show you have to clean up the skull. You can check the search function on AO as this has been covered a few times.

This will save you a few bucks then taking it to a taxidermist.

Good luck.

Hogie135 06-21-2012 03:09 PM

Mine is at Starky's taxidermy right now. Actually going to pick up my skull today. He does everything for you. $50 for the skull to be done up for you. He's on the North end. Google him and you'll find his number.

airbornedeerhunter 06-21-2012 03:51 PM

Brian Starkevich

x2 on Starkys. Brian is an amazing taxidermist, he's done all my deer and birds and I just picked up my Wolf from him a couple of weeks back. He's fast too, you won't wait longer than a year at the most. I got my wolf back in 8 months and he's gotten deer back to me in 9 months. His prices are very reasonable and he is a super friendly guy. I would recommend him to anyone.

BackPackHunter 06-21-2012 05:35 PM

i know a guy, that has the bugs, and does very nice skulls
but he's in red deer , pm me if u want more info

Jimmyjjj 06-22-2012 10:55 AM

Starkys is too backed up but he recomended Edmonton Fur Tannery... they are only open weekdays (same with Western Fur).

I went to Halford's website and it looks like they are only open weekdays too.

Anyone know of another place I could go on Saturday?
Maybe I will do it myself... anyone know where I could buy some tanning supplies (fleshing knife, chemicals, etc...)?

Stewie 06-22-2012 11:02 AM

Canadian Custom Skulls in Drayton Valley does a real nice job with the skull cleaning

Rather Be Hunting 06-22-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter (Post 1488829)
x2 on Starkys. Brian is an amazing taxidermist, he's done all my deer and birds and I just picked up my Wolf from him a couple of weeks back. He's fast too, you won't wait longer than a year at the most. I got my wolf back in 8 months and he's gotten deer back to me in 9 months. His prices are very reasonable and he is a super friendly guy. I would recommend him to anyone.

X2.