Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   In defence of fuddie duddies (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=349686)

Don Andersen 08-17-2018 06:45 PM

In defence of fuddie duddies

Seems like fuddie duddies are under attack by ........
Well, as a self proclaimed fuddie duddie who started repairing trout streams before most of the yappers were born, there is something you keep in mind.
The people working on those stream projects were mostly gray hair fuddie duddies.
About time some of you young whipper snappers get off your key boards and attempt to replicate what your elders have accomplished.

Don

pikergolf 08-17-2018 06:58 PM

Fudd's do a yeoman's job of volunteering in my area. Rifle range, trap club, pheasant release, trout transport at Bullshead, habitat improvement, lot's of fudd's doing lots of lifting. Thank you fudds.

Heron 08-17-2018 09:30 PM

Ok, I’m in! What are we doing? I will gladly give up some time and labour.

ShortsideK 08-18-2018 05:43 AM

I'm probably older than all of you, but I accept that "times are changing".
Things evolve.

Mr Flyguy 08-18-2018 06:54 AM

"The times they are a changin' " Heck, Bob Dylan said that 54 years ago!

Mr Flyguy 08-18-2018 07:01 AM

"My opinion is that the most versatile line weight for trout fishing is a 6-weight, and if I had to use just one rod for all of my Bow fishing, that would be it."

A quote from Jim McLennan in his book Blue Ribbon Bow. But hey, he must be one of them "fuddy duddies" as well!

58thecat 08-18-2018 07:38 AM

Hmmmmm was it not the fuddy duddies that in thier youth went beserk and only now are attempting to right thier wrongs?

Not saying it's a bad thing to learn from the past....I think the young ones are a lot more aware now but do need a helping hand along the way.

My dads generation was wild, he is 80, I watched and only was 1/2 as crazy now I look at my son who is way more in tune with conservation then I was at his age....

Don Andersen 08-18-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 3828233)
"My opinion is that the most versatile line weight for trout fishing is a 6-weight, and if I had to use just one rod for all of my Bow fishing, that would be it."

A quote from Jim McLennan in his book Blue Ribbon Bow. But hey, he must be one of them "fuddy duddies" as well!

And he is right.
Must be an age and experience thing.

Don

MK2750 08-18-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Yup, my absolute favorite rod is a 906 Z-Axis, trying to find a way to take it into the afterlife should one exist. However, I think you are quantum thread jumping.

But on topic, my late father wasn't fishing unless he filled the creel. I limited my catch to a feed every now and then but that was 10-15 years ago. My son has only killed a couple of trout in his lifetime and and has taught me more about water and systems than I had learned in my time up to that point.

I believe it was Jack Nicholson who said it best in "The Witches of Eastwick"

"Man complains about sleeping with a dead woman and it was him that killed her."

Bigwoodsman 08-18-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 3828071)
Seems like fuddie duddies are under attack by ........
Well, as a self proclaimed fuddie duddie who started repairing trout streams before most of the yappers were born, there is something you keep in mind.
The people working on those stream projects were mostly gray hair fuddie duddies.
About time some of you young whipper snappers get off your key boards and attempt to replicate what your elders have accomplished.

Don

Don, I have tremendous respect for the work and sacrifices that fellows like you, Barry Mitchell, and Bob Scammel just to name a few have made and done to enhance my trout fishing experience in this province.

Thanks to all the fuddie duddies out there!

BW

river ghost 08-18-2018 12:31 PM

Lets not forget George Mitchell.I use to take his "big pocket" sized fishing guide everywhere,that little mag. kept my imagination reeling.

pipco 08-20-2018 01:20 PM

Don,

Yours, the work of many others and your willingness to share knowledge is much appreciated.

My age would be between a whipper snapper and fuddy duddy.

Would I be a whipper duddy or a fuddy snapper? :)

Stan

ShortsideK 08-20-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

He qualifies his statement by limiting it to the Bow River.
Yes, the 6 wt. covers a lot of territory. It's a sledgehammer for the fishing that I generally do.

To each his own, but using a 6 wt. for non-flowing water is archaic.

Mr Flyguy 08-20-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortsideK (Post 3829320)
He qualifies his statement by limiting it to the Bow River.
Yes, the 6 wt. covers a lot of territory. It's a sledgehammer for the fishing that I generally do.

To each his own, but using a 6 wt. for non-flowing water is archaic.

You're right, it's a sledgehammer for those little 10 to 12" dinkies!

ShortsideK 08-20-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 3829327)
You're right, it's a sledgehammer for those little 10 to 12" dinkies!

519 "dinkies" this season, to date, including several 15+"ers.
(yes, I keep a running count):thinking-006:

Stryker2 08-27-2018 01:15 PM

About fuddy duddies

Quote:

I figured I might find you on a thread called "old fuddy duddies" :sHa_shakeshout: