Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Moose Decoy (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=350496)

sdb8440 08-30-2018 07:22 PM

Moose Decoy

After calling in the same bull three times last year and not being able to seal the deal, I know have one of the Montana decoys. I have a good idea about the set up, but I am wondering if I should leave it out overnight when if (lol) I am not successful on day one? My thought process is the less noise/movement the next morning the better.

Thoughts?

Passthru 08-30-2018 08:31 PM

I would think one day you might find you decoy in a crumpled mess from a bull having his way with it while your not there. Setting up can be a pain but beats having to pick up the pieces later

Moo Snukkle 08-30-2018 09:30 PM

We always took ours down every night. Can’t say that it was a game changer but on occasion in the morning the wind was different, so placements changed with the assumption game would close the final distance with the wind in their face.

dfrobert 08-30-2018 09:51 PM

They work good. Collapse it and pack it in/out. Setup as needed.

3blade 08-30-2018 10:11 PM

Walk and sound like a moose. They aren’t quiet unless they are suspicious. Setting up a decoy wont be a problem (I have one as well)

Be aware that a bull WILL swing down wind and scent check a cow he can see, from a long ways, sometimes 200-300 yards. Do not anticipate he will walk straight in like on so many videos. I learned that the hard way in archery season :sign0176:

sdb8440 08-31-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 3834401)
Walk and sound like a moose. They aren’t quiet unless they are suspicious. Setting up a decoy wont be a problem (I have one as well)

Be aware that a bull WILL swing down wind and scent check a cow he can see, from a long ways, sometimes 200-300 yards. Do not anticipate he will walk straight in like on so many videos. I learned that the hard way in archery season :sign0176:

Have you ever used one of the estrus scents to try and make the decoy a little sweeter?

3blade 08-31-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdb8440 (Post 3834559)
Have you ever used one of the estrus scents to try and make the decoy a little sweeter?

Yep, I eventually learned to use both. Obviously you put the scent on a log or stick, not the decoy.

Thing is they can still smell you. So when you get a response, you have to figure out how to position the scent, decoy, and yourself to bring the bull past you without him getting down wind. When a bull responds, he will almost instantly start swinging down wind of the sound. Think about this every time and set up accordingly.

Man I miss moose hunting. Only 6 more years for that tag :sign0161:

bowhunter9841 08-31-2018 10:31 AM

If you’re interested in it, I have a heads up moose decoy for sale on the buy and sell. Might help give you an extra edge.

sdb8440 08-31-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 (Post 3834576)
If you’re interested in it, I have a heads up moose decoy for sale on the buy and sell. Might help give you an extra edge.

Thanks, but with all the other gear to haul in, my hands will be full.

To all the others, thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated.

58thecat 09-07-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passthru (Post 3834349)
I would think one day you might find you decoy in a crumpled mess from a bull having his way with it while your not there. Setting up can be a pain but beats having to pick up the pieces later

Yup, I had a buck decoy set up and some other buck taught it a lesson over a one night in which I left it up thinking about sneezing in under darkness, after the sun was up I found the decoy beat all to hell .

58thecat 09-07-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle (Post 3834378)
We always took ours down every night. Can’t say that it was a game changer but on occasion in the morning the wind was different, so placements changed with the assumption game would close the final distance with the wind in their face.

You can also leave it down in the area and once your back there just grab it and set up accordingly if bringing it back and out is a pain in the arzze.