Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Brookies (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=385770)

mtnhunter 08-07-2020 08:38 AM

Brookies

Hey everyone, I am looking for your help in steering me in the right direction to try for brook trout. My 14 year old son has just started fly fishing and is hoping for a chance to catch his first. Not looking for anyone’s favourite spots, but I am hoping someone could suggest a stream or two to try that has decent numbers of brookies. FYI, we live in Calgary. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott N 08-07-2020 08:48 AM

If you're not set on moving water, Elbow Lake in K-Country is a nice / reasonably easy hike that has a lot of brookies in it. They are stunted, so you won't catch anything of size, but it's a good place to go if you want to knock that species off your list.

tallieho 08-07-2020 09:16 AM

I don't no if this is still going on The Quirk Creek,Brook trout removall west of Bragg Creek..Maybe get a hold of F&W OR TU..

bessiedog 08-07-2020 10:33 AM

Decent Brookline’s r hard to come by in Alberta streams as they seem to stunt..... then all you get r these tiny (yet pretty) dink fish.

Head south... Butcher lake just south of Pincher Creek has em.. but no real size.

I’ve caught and are nicer bottoms from Crandall lake in Waterton... great hike... you can see the fish... dryfly willing critters at times

Dang tasty too.

Jayhad 08-07-2020 11:05 AM

Bragg Creek is plug full of them.

mtnhunter 08-07-2020 02:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

dalewig 08-07-2020 03:05 PM

Cataract creek right above the forestry trunk road is suppose to have a lot of brookies, and some nice scenery round there. Haven’t personally fished it , but hiked along that section couple weeks ago and def some juicy looking beaver ponds and corner pools.

Drewski Canuck 08-07-2020 03:47 PM

You could go try Maligne Lake, or River.

Was there last weekend, and a red and white flatfish (if you have any for sale call me!) works really well on 14 - 17" Brookies.

Drewski

mtnhunter 08-07-2020 07:23 PM

Thanks! Don’t have any flatfish for sale Drewski but appreciate everyone pointing me in the right direction

walking buffalo 08-09-2020 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4214833)
Bragg Creek is plug full of them.

If you want brookies, pay attention to this ^.

Walk past the West Bragg creek parking lot.
Great place to learn how to fly fish a little stream.

slingshotz 08-09-2020 12:14 PM

Willow Creek up past the Indian Graves Rec area upstream of the 532 is chock full of them. I used to be on the Brook Trout TU removal program and I would easily pull a few dozen out of the creek each day. Again nothing of great size due to the stunting, max was maybe 9" but they are pretty aggressive and hungry for little dries normally.

mtnhunter 08-09-2020 03:05 PM

This is perfect! The smaller streams are great for him to learn fly fishing!