Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Sage One Spey opinions (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337075)

PFKGSP 01-11-2018 01:36 PM

Sage One Spey opinions

So I'm looking at a Sage One 8wt Spey rod. Price is good since it is discontinued. Better than a new Method anyway.
It is a 13'6 rod. I am relatively new to this type of casting but plan on a trip to the coast or Island in the near future for salmon/steelhead.
I have a few single hand One's that I really like but I have heard that the two handers were not there best effort.
Just looking for some opinions/experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Maxwell87 01-11-2018 02:11 PM

Sone guys found the tips to be “soft” and compared to a method or other super fast rods guys overload to lob/cast stuff out they are a completely different stick, for a first double handed rod. So when they used other rods not just the sage one they couldn’t hit em as hard, causing a nasty tailing loop.

Buy what you can afford and go from there! I tell this to all my clients students and friends. Many guys I know usually drift one way or another overtime with wanting way softer or way faster double handed rods. Don’t buy into the hype of some of these rods with nicknames... you won’t be catching more or less fish with a method.

If there wasn’t a few guys pushing the super fast stuff this rod would be considered “fast” 10 years ago.

PFKGSP 01-11-2018 02:25 PM

I'll take that as a yes:)

Thanks for the opinion.

I want something that I can learn to cast properly with and not just resort to throwing bombs. I am not necessarily a fan of the superfast stuff.

Money isn't really the issue but if I get a rod for 5-700 instead of 1100 that puts a nice reel and line on it for free basically.

Fenix_84 01-11-2018 02:56 PM

Id wait for the spring cause a couple fly shops host spey claves where you can try the different rods.

Maxwell87 01-11-2018 03:00 PM

For a first rod you can’t go wrong yes, attending a clave to try a bunch is always good but lessons is well spent to dial in a rod you have ornimporve your skills that rod you will have for years no doubt.

PFKGSP 01-11-2018 04:33 PM

I would be 100% on the lessons. I have a 5 wt rod that I want to use more on the bow as well. I watch for the clinics but haven't really seen too many.

Open to suggestions, not today mind you!

flyon 01-12-2018 08:20 AM

I've got the 8136 and it has its place... definitely a slower rod for my preference. I enjoy casting the scandi line with it but dislike throwing a skagit with it... too noodley.

I've got rods that cost around the 1k mark and other that were a few hundred dollars. I like different things about them all. Find one that works for you. Unfortunately, giving a spey rod a wiggle at the shop isn't gonna do it... you need to give it a go on the water- spring speyclave.

If it is your first foray into the spey world- maybe look for a more economical set-up to see if it is your thing.

Definitely look into some lessons- it is one thing to watch a pile of you tube videos- but spey casting in your living just isn't gunna work.

PFKGSP 01-12-2018 09:45 AM

Excellent, thanks for the advice. The one I am looking at is a `13-6 as well
I will definitely take in a few casting clinics this spring.