Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mighty OILERS!!!!! 23/24 Thread! Cup Time Baby!!! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=425551)

bessiedog 09-24-2023 04:31 PM

Mighty OILERS!!!!! 23/24 Thread! Cup Time Baby!!!

Oooohhhhyeaaaaa!

Tis time folks!

Pre-season beat up the peggers tonight!!!

Gonna be such a sweet sweet season!!!

Go
Mighty

OIL!!!!

bessiedog 09-24-2023 05:54 PM

On a non Oil note…..

Heard the Spittin Chicklet podcast Re: Babcock …… wow!

I had no idea…

Gerald J 09-26-2023 04:51 PM

A lot of Cup talk over the summer, that's for sure. Big year for Holloway and Broberg. Both guys have had some bad luck with injuries. Holloway reminds me a little of Taylor Hall. Fans need to be patient with Broberg especially. Yeah, I think he's playing it safe. Not like his first training camp where fans were really wowed. Maybe being paired with the Viking will help his development.

p.s. Do not put Lavoie on waivers! Somebody claims him for sure. If he doesn't have a roster spot by the time the season starts, trade him.

antmai 09-26-2023 05:16 PM

If only we had two more first round picks!

Twisted Canuck 09-26-2023 05:44 PM

Cup Time in the thread title? Bold move. At least ketchup is inexpensive, and sort of masks the taste of crow.

Magpies eating crows. Great visual.

Hope they have a great season. :)

Talking moose 09-26-2023 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4663561)
Cup Time in the thread title? Bold move. At least ketchup is inexpensive, and sort of masks the taste of crow.

Magpies eating crows. Great visual.

Hope they have a great season. :)

It’s like deja vu from last years flames thread.
Hopefully this don’t backfire on bessie…….:argue2:

Talking moose 09-26-2023 07:50 PM

I don’t think it will backfire to that degree though. There’s just too many Mcdavids on the team for that to happen.

58thecat 09-28-2023 07:10 AM

Got the win but didn’t look that mighty at all! [emoji38]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e717ae473c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bessiedog 09-28-2023 08:20 AM

Feh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4663908)

Blasphemy.......!!!!!! That game wuz a classic "Rope a Dope!"

Hurtin Albertin 09-28-2023 07:19 PM

This team has been an utter embarassing failure since 1990, they fluked into the finals in 2006 post lockout, then they missed the playoffs 10 years in a row and missed something like 12 times in 13 years, they picked first overall 4 times in 6 years, they drafted the best player since Crosby/Ovechkin and still have missed the playoffs or have done nothing, their ownership and coaching has been a clownshow with some horrible accusations against them, they cheated on the cap multiple times, signed the worst dirtbag gambling dirtbag in the league and they only have 1 player on the roster who was alive when they won the cup (a newborn at the time), the arena is a grey depressing ridiculous monstrosity that is already out of style where you have to **** in a bottle if you want to make the next period, this team is the Cleveland Browns of the NHL and possibly the worst pro league sports team in North America over the last 30+ years, in yet I still love them and hope they win the Cup before Draisaitl skips town with McDavid in tow. I am a long suffering Oilers fan, at least I have 5 Cups to look back on from 5 decades ago, please win the Cup Oilers and redeem our team for the 3 decades of darkness.

fishtank 09-28-2023 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4663908)

At first glance looks like flame Colors ….:scared0018:

270person 09-29-2023 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurtin Albertin (Post 4664111)
This team has been an utter embarassing failure since 1990, they fluked into the finals in 2006 post lockout, then they missed the playoffs 10 years in a row and missed something like 12 times in 13 years, they picked first overall 4 times in 6 years, they drafted the best player since Crosby/Ovechkin and still have missed the playoffs or have done nothing, their ownership and coaching has been a clownshow with some horrible accusations against them, they cheated on the cap multiple times, signed the worst dirtbag gambling dirtbag in the league and they only have 1 player on the roster who was alive when they won the cup (a newborn at the time), the arena is a grey depressing ridiculous monstrosity that is already out of style where you have to **** in a bottle if you want to make the next period, this team is the Cleveland Browns of the NHL and possibly the worst pro league sports team in North America over the last 30+ years, in yet I still love them and hope they win the Cup before Draisaitl skips town with McDavid in tow. I am a long suffering Oilers fan, at least I have 5 Cups to look back on from 5 decades ago, please win the Cup Oilers and redeem our team for the 3 decades of darkness.

Amazing that through all of this they still come out looking "5x" as good as the team 300k south who in their history have pretty much won....nothing.

1899b 09-30-2023 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4664167)
Amazing that through all of this they still come out looking "5x" as good as the team 300k south who in their history have pretty much won....nothing.

Not sure why the Flamers are always the comparison…

All that McRib and Drai regular season razzle dazzle for years and just as competitive as the recently added Seattle Kraken. MEH…

270person 09-30-2023 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 4664391)

All that McRib and Drai regular season razzle dazzle for years and just as competitive as the recently added Seattle Kraken. MEH…

You can't really believe that. A simple standings check would say otherwise.

Talking moose 09-30-2023 07:41 AM

Congratulations Bakersfield Condors on your win over the Calgary Flames!

1899b 09-30-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4664399)
You can't really believe that. A simple standings check would say otherwise.

Guess you missed the playoffs last year…. Lol

IL Bar 09-30-2023 08:53 AM

I don’t know why but every year Oiler fans always figure they have the cup conquered in the preseason. Then March comes around and you’re throwing jerseys on the ice and ready to fire everybody. Makes for good entertainment.

whitetail Junkie 09-30-2023 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IL Bar (Post 4664419)
I don’t know why but every year Oiler fans always figure they have the cup conquered in the preseason. Then March comes around and you’re throwing jerseys on the ice and ready to fire everybody. Makes for good entertainment.

:)

im sure Mcregular season and the boys wont disapoint you again next spring. :evilgrin:

Bigwoodsman 09-30-2023 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 4664391)

Then start a thread for the Seattle Kraken.

Lots of closet Oiler fans following this thread.

BW

jungleboy 09-30-2023 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Season isn’t even underway yet, but the squawkers and chirpers are in fine form.

1899b 09-30-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman (Post 4664423)
Then start a thread for the Seattle Kraken.

Lots of closet Oiler fans following this thread.

BW

I enjoy following the team and it’s delusional fan base.

Seattle with just two years in the league went just as far as the Mighty Oil last year.

Facts are facts.

Talking moose 09-30-2023 02:01 PM

Quote:

Go reread last years flames thread. You just described it to a perfect capitol T.
Lol

sns2 09-30-2023 02:05 PM

If healthy when entering the playoffs, we will go as far as our goaltending allows.

1899b 09-30-2023 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4664482)
If healthy when entering the playoffs, we will go as far as our goaltending allows.

That cliche goes for the other 15 teams entering the playoffs as well..

Woody sure likes that Skinner kid. Never in 40 years of watching the NHL have I ever witnessed a club pull a goalie 4 times in one playoff year, let alone keep going back to him each time to start the next game…..

Hopefully Campbell got that couch time with his shrink this past off season. He must be thinking wtf….

sns2 09-30-2023 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 4664489)
That cliche goes for the other 15 teams entering the playoffs as well..

Woody sure likes that Skinner kid. Never in 40 years of watching the NHL have I ever witnessed a club pull a goalie 4 times in one playoff year, let alone keep going back to him each time to start the next game…..

Hopefully Campbell got that couch time with his shrink this past off season. He must be thinking wtf….

Ok, I will say it another way. With slightly better than average goaltending, we will win the cup this year. Take it to the bank.

Better?

Skinner deserved the Calder. Matty Beniers year for a Calder winning forward was very average.

They couldn’t go to Campbell. Skinner earned the chance. His teammates likely felt the exact same. I’d say whoever Connor wants in net is who goes into the net. Serious.

1899b 09-30-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4664517)
Ok, I will say it another way. With slightly better than average goaltending, we will win the cup this year. Take it to the bank.

Better?

Skinner deserved the Calder. Matty Beniers year for a Calder winning forward was very average.

They couldn’t go to Campbell. Skinner earned the chance. His teammates likely felt the exact same. I’d say whoever Connor wants in net is who goes into the net. Serious.

It’s was a goal tending debacle when goaltending counted the most.

I want this team to win for this community but man there has been some cringey stuff over the years…

sns2 09-30-2023 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 4664518)
It’s was a goal tending debacle when goaltending counted the most.

I want this team to win for this community but man there has been some cringey stuff over the years…

Can’t change the past, so why dwell on it? Move on bud. This is a good hockey team. To be in the conversation is all you can realistically ask. There is a salary cap and 31 other teams vying for the same prize.

We have as good a chance as any.

MountainTi 09-30-2023 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 4664400)
Congratulations Bakersfield Condors on your win over the Calgary Flames!

:)

58thecat 10-01-2023 08:13 AM

Quote:

Agree it sure does.:)

58thecat 10-01-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4664517)

Better?

Better chances booking tee off times for the team come spring then planning a cup parade.