Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wyoming Grizz Hunt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=341388)

dave99 03-18-2018 08:00 PM

Wyoming Grizz Hunt

Week-old news, but still pretty impressive that Wyoming went from de-listing the Grizzly from ESA protection in 2017, to a (proposed) hunt in 2018. 24 bears is no small number either.

A huge conservation success story for the greater Yellowstone ecosystem. Kudos y’all.

Thoughts on whether it’ll actually come to happen?

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/wyo...313#gs.tQMA00U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slicktricker 03-18-2018 08:27 PM

Not any time soon it won't in Alberta talked to many fw and conservation officers. Sounds like when something's taking away good chance never come back. I wouldn't hold my breath on it

dave99 03-18-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3754189)
Not any time soon it won't in Alberta talked to many fw and conservation officers. Sounds like when something's taking away good chance never come back. I wouldn't hold my breath on it

I meant whether it will actually come to pass in Wyoming this year, not in Alberta.

If history is an indicator, you are right to say that once a hunt is taken away that it will not come back. The reason I pose the question is because this very hunt WAS taken away 40 or so years ago, and is now poised to return.

Slicktricker 03-18-2018 08:37 PM

Alberta may see a grizz hunt but I figure il be so old I wouldn't be hunting them any way lol

fordtruckin 03-18-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 3754163)
Week-old news, but still pretty impressive that Wyoming went from de-listing the Grizzly from ESA protection in 2017, to a (proposed) hunt in 2018. 24 bears is no small number either.

A huge conservation success story for the greater Yellowstone ecosystem. Kudos y’all.

Thoughts on whether it’ll actually come to happen?

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/wyo...313#gs.tQMA00U

It wasn't Wyoming that delisted the bears it was the USFWS that delisted all the grizzlies in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. That includes Wyoming Idaho and Montana. It does NOT include Montana bears in the Northern Continental Divide ecosystem. Idaho is also considering a hunt but it would be for 1 bear. Montana will not hold a hunt in 2018 for Grizzly. There is still a large court case to be settled over the delisting so it is far from a sure thing. A Federal Judge in Missoula wants it all settled before any proposed seasons so we will have to wait and see... I've seen copies of the proposed regulations for Montana if and when we have a hunt and its quite extensive the protections put in place to ensure an animal isn't removed from a hunting district with an unstable population.

alder 03-19-2018 07:48 AM

They succeeded in doing it on wolves. But they had a strong advocacy group from the ranchers who were being affected, so politically they had a voice. Not sure bears impact their cattle as much but not sure. Anyways, it's a good sign that it made it that far.

Big Grey Wolf 03-19-2018 09:58 AM

Guys we will get a grizz hunt in Alberta. The 17000 grizz in BC are going to breed like rats now and migrate to Alberta to find new range. No one ever taught them about borders. It will probably help Montana get a hunt as well when the migrate south for warmer weather.

boah 03-19-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3754189)

Just like when they shut goat hunting down?

fishnguy 05-15-2019 01:03 PM

Didn’t want to create a new thread and this the most recent I could find on the subject.

AP: Tribes seek ban on public hunting of revered grizzly bears

Quote:

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — Native American groups are pressing lawmakers in Congress to adopt permanent protections for grizzly bears, a species widely revered by tribes but that has been proposed for hunting in Wyoming and Idaho.

Tribal representatives were due Wednesday before a House subcommittee to testify in support of legislation that would block grizzly hunting in the Lower 48 states, regardless of the species’ population size.

Grizzlies play a central role in the traditions and ceremonies of many tribes, some of which refer to the animals as “Uncle” and consider them to be healers, said former Hopi Tribe chairman Benjamin Nuvamsa.

“It’s like the eagle; we don’t shoot them because it’s that sacred,” said Nuvamsa, a member of the tribe’s Hopi Bear Clan. “It has a really, really deep meaning for us and we have to preserve and respect it.”

There’s growing pressure from state officials in the Northern Rockies to allow hunting because of grizzly attacks on livestock and occasionally people.

Last fall, a federal judge in Montana blocked grizzly hunts days before they were scheduled to begin. The ruling also restored threatened species status for about 700 bears in and around Yellowstone National Park.

An appeal filed by attorneys for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is pending before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Grizzly bears were nearly exterminated across much of the U.S. by hunting and trapping early last century. They received federal protections in 1975 and have since slowly rebounded in portions of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Grizzly hunting is allowed in Alaska.

The measure to make protections permanent is sponsored by Rep. Raul Grijalva, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee. The Arizona Democrat said the intent was to recognize and honor the bear’s unique place in Native American tradition, by giving them protections beyond what’s offered under the Endangered Species Act.

“The pressure from Fish and Wildlife is going to continue in this administration and it’s going to continue for delisting,” said Grijalva, referring to the agency’s attempts to revoke the bruins’ threatened species status. Such a move would transfer authority over the animals to state game agencies.

Hunting grizzlies “is not a sport to native peoples,” Grijalva added.

Jonathan Wood, a research fellow at the Property and Environment Research Center, said the measure would discourage states and landowners from cooperating in future efforts to restore imperiled species and undermine the goal of restoring grizzlies to more of their historical range.

Grijalva has offered similar legislation before but it went nowhere. It stands a better chance of advancing with Democrats now in control of the House. It’s expected to face a tougher road in the Senate and draw strong opposition from lawmakers representing Western states.

“It’s difficult to see how this passes the Senate or gets signed by the president,” Wood said.

landowner 05-16-2019 07:37 AM

Here in Alberta , some of my FN friends say their clan sees brother bear as sacred. Other clans have no trouble helping out a rancher or landowner.

dave99 05-16-2019 11:10 AM

With regards to the Wyoming 2018 grizzly hunt, a judge in Montana reinstated the legal protection for grizzly in the area of Montana and Wyoming adjacent to Yellowstone last fall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1417295002

“This is the second time in a decade federal officials have tried and failed to remove protections from the bears, a top priority for many western lawmakers who believe hunters should be allowed to kill a small number of bears to reduce conflicts with backcountry users and protect livestock.”

Bock Fever 05-16-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 3754454)
Just like when they shut goat hunting down?

This isn't like taking the bison hunt away for a year or two. Some people use the term Charismatic Megafauna or Calendar Animal to refer to the "special species". The non-hunting and anti-hunting portion of society puts a higher value on Bears, Wolves and Cougars than they do on Caribou or Moose. BC cancelling the Griz hunt because of people feelings despite biologists findings is a prime (and scary) example of that.

It will be hard to get the hunt back in AB but the populations will continue to increase so who knows.