Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   how many stands do you have up ? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=351040)

petew 09-10-2018 12:13 PM

how many stands do you have up ?

Curious as to how many stands people have up around the country? Private land, or crown ?

JDK71 09-10-2018 12:16 PM

4 on private land 2 on the ground and to in the air

35 whelen 09-10-2018 12:19 PM

Two ladder stands on private land ,8 ladder stands on Crown, 1 ground blind on Crown.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Bulldog Edm 09-10-2018 12:46 PM

I have 0 up this year. 😞 I got a new job and haven't had a chance to set some up. I will have to rely on my climber this year.

Passthru 09-10-2018 01:17 PM

One hang on stand.

Xiph0id 09-10-2018 02:38 PM

1 store bought stand hopefully. Used to be 2 as one was stolen, although, I haven't check this one lately.

8 wood built ones.

All on crown land.

Big Lou 09-10-2018 03:26 PM

Currently 11 on private. Will be one more going in on some grazing lease soon. Took the chainsaw and cut myself some nests in brush piles for the ground game.

bowhunter9841 09-10-2018 06:48 PM

0 stands, haven’t hunted a stand since 2011, I like to hunt on foot! Mainly because I don’t want them stolen.

capper 09-11-2018 10:17 AM

We have 6 between me and my dad. 4 of them on private land. We lock ours up to the tree.

lastlatvian 09-12-2018 05:39 PM

What height do you guys put em at and what species? Do you use blinds up in the trees and when you hear or see a deer when do you start to prep the bow?

Big Lou 09-12-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlatvian (Post 3839964)
What height do you guys put em at and what species? Do you use blinds up in the trees and when you hear or see a deer when do you start to prep the bow?

You can never have your bow in hand to soon. Less movement done on your part, all the better.

I’ve had stands as low as 10’ and as high as 36’. Average these days would be around the 20’ area. If there’s good enough cover/back drop, I prefer the lower sets for better shot angles. No blinds in the tree for this cat. Pick a good back drop and stay still. If you’re 25 yards away from the trail you expect game on it’s no big deal being up high but if an animal gets in tighter than anticipated you best be well acquainted with a serious bend at the hips to shoot or maybe not shoot at all. A good harness system can pay dividends in such a scenario and is something I practice for. Doing so tied off at ground level will give you a feel for it before moving to an elevated platform should you choose. Biggest thing for an accurate shot from height is consistent form. Maintaining your T like in practice regardless of stand height/shot angle. Don’t drop your bow arm to the target. Bend at the hips and keep your form.

lastlatvian 09-12-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 3839980)
You can never have your bow in hand to soon. Less movement done on your part, all the better.

I’ve had stands as low as 10’ and as high as 36’. Average these days would be around the 20’ area. If there’s good enough cover/back drop, I prefer the lower sets for better shot angles. No blinds in the tree for this cat. Pick a good back drop and stay still. If you’re 25 yards away from the trail you expect game on it’s no big deal being up high but if an animal gets in tighter than anticipated you best be well acquainted with a serious bend at the hips to shoot or maybe not shoot at all. A good harness system can pay dividends in such a scenario and is something I practice for. Doing so tied off at ground level will give you a feel for it before moving to an elevated platform should you choose. Biggest thing for an accurate shot from height is consistent form. Maintaining your T like in practice regardless of stand height/shot angle. Don’t drop your bow arm to the target. Bend at the hips and keep your form.

great reply, last question, at what yardage do normally draw your bow? I saw lot of does at under 15 yards in my first tree stand last friday but I felt they could hear me draw sub 20 yards.

Big Lou 09-12-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlatvian (Post 3839993)
great reply, last question, at what yardage do normally draw your bow? I saw lot of does at under 15 yards in my first tree stand last friday but I felt they could hear me draw sub 20 yards.

Can’t offer a one does all answer for you as every situation can and will vary. Actually having deer to practice drawing on is a great tool if you can perform it without compromising yourself. Whether you feel they can hear you or not, if you’re getting to full draw and don’t have heads snapping up and sets of eyes staring bullet holes through you then you’re getting it done. Drawing early isn’t a bad thing if you can potentially hold at draw for as long as you want but it’s a roll of the dice if you can’t. They can hold up for no apparent reason for longer than you’d ever think necessary and for whatever reason they please. There’s no one answer. The more you hunt, you’ll develop a better feel of the animals and situations you’re facing.

nast70 09-13-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 3838855)
Currently 11 on private. Will be one more going in on some grazing lease soon. Took the chainsaw and cut myself some nests in brush piles for the ground game.

I stumbled onto something like this couple years ago. Big brush pile by a dugout. thought it would be a good spot to hide, climbed to the top and found a great spot someone had carved out. plywood floor, shelves cut out etc. Used it a couple times, but never saw a thing.

Lefty-Canuck 09-13-2018 04:37 PM

Right now 8

LC

dbllung 09-13-2018 10:30 PM

This year only have 12 hang ons and 4 ladders. (But it is still early in the season) . Last year 17 hangers and 4 ladders ... it sucks bringing them all in during the first few weekends in December, But I like to have morning and evening sets in good locations for most wind directions .. I reset them every season, in new scouted locations so I don’t get complacent , and just hunt an area because I have a stand there!!

Lots of work/fun but usually it pays off. Most times I try to get over 16-17 feet where I can, but sometimes I have to go lower if the trees aren’t as sturdy

58thecat 09-14-2018 06:10 AM

4 unless one took a walk:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Prdtrgttr 09-14-2018 07:34 AM

9. 2 ground sets. Been using a lot more ladder stand sets now. However, we have a couple of portable lone wolf stands that can be hung in less than ideal trees.

DRhunter 09-15-2018 10:28 PM

Right now I have 7 tree stands out. Sometimes feel like I could have twice as many out, but still mostly use a couple stands the majority of the time.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk