Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   limit your pictures PLEASE (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=375521)

tallieho 01-19-2020 05:58 AM

limit your pictures PLEASE

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...133?via%3Dihub
yOUR KILLING OUR FISH....

35 whelen 01-19-2020 06:30 AM

I'm guessing since the inventive smartphones 20 to 30% of every fish stock is dying because people keep fish out of the water too long don't handle them properly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

kilgoretrout 01-19-2020 11:08 AM

just like video killed the radio star......... social media and hot spotting will be the death of our streams

FlyTheory 01-19-2020 11:56 AM

I have access to the full article through my institution. It's a very interesting and compelling read.

One thing I have to say is that they highlight:

"Another way to improve best practices may be to institutionalise
voluntary conservation ethics that transcend the basic regulatory requirements
on C&R (Fobert et al., 2009; Cooke et al., 2013). For example,
in the 2019/2020 Alberta Fishing Regulations, anglers are encouraged
to avoid targeting fish species-at-risk such as bull trout and
native westslope cutthroat trout, and to voluntarily reduce their efficiency,
i.e., “Practice this proven method to drop your release mortality
by half; catch half as many fish.” (Sullivan, 2019). Appeals to normative
behavior or ‘doing the right thing’, accompanied by informal sanctioning
systems (e.g., angling community appeals to appropriate behavior,
and anglers confronting those who don’t use best handling
practices), can be powerful social institutions."

This statement is compelling because this forum has a penalty for "onfronting those who don’t use best handling practices"...

There is a fine line between bashing someone for posting a picture of a fish on the rocks, and helpfully guiding proper fish handling. However, ostracizing someone for continually practicing poor fish handling is... maybe appropriate.

I would suggest the admins to ponder the positive impact that banning poor fish handling photos wouldn't be a horrible idea (unless fish are legally harvested). Or at least allowing people to comment (not troll or harass) on poor fish handling pictures.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Smoky buck 01-19-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyTheory (Post 4095830)
I have access to the full article through my institution. It's a very interesting and compelling read.

One thing I have to say is that they highlight:

"Another way to improve best practices may be to institutionalise
voluntary conservation ethics that transcend the basic regulatory requirements
on C&R (Fobert et al., 2009; Cooke et al., 2013). For example,
in the 2019/2020 Alberta Fishing Regulations, anglers are encouraged
to avoid targeting fish species-at-risk such as bull trout and
native westslope cutthroat trout, and to voluntarily reduce their efficiency,
i.e., “Practice this proven method to drop your release mortality
by half; catch half as many fish.” (Sullivan, 2019). Appeals to normative
behavior or ‘doing the right thing’, accompanied by informal sanctioning
systems (e.g., angling community appeals to appropriate behavior,
and anglers confronting those who don’t use best handling
practices), can be powerful social institutions."

This statement is compelling because this forum has a penalty for "onfronting those who don’t use best handling practices"...

There is a fine line between bashing someone for posting a picture of a fish on the rocks, and helpfully guiding proper fish handling. However, ostracizing someone for continually practicing poor fish handling is... maybe appropriate.

I would suggest the admins to ponder the positive impact that banning poor fish handling photos wouldn't be a horrible idea (unless fish are legally harvested). Or at least allowing people to comment (not troll or harass) on poor fish handling pictures.

What are everyone's thoughts?

One problem is not all photos are of C&R and second there is things that some view as good handling practices others do not. With the differences between what is viewed as except able handling differs enough that you open a holy hell can of worms here alone

In theory I get what you are saying but without true guidelines and a knowledge of every pic being C&R or a kept fish it’s is more likely to result in a ton of arguments accomplishing very little but a fight.

commieboy 01-20-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallieho (Post 4095565)

I agree with the sentiment, but...

your - possessive. That is YOUR fish
you're- contraction of YOU ARE. You're killing our fish. -> You are killing our fish

Bushrat 01-20-2020 06:33 PM

Use single barbless hooks and don't take the fish out of the water. Bring the fish to heel quick as you can, run your hand down the leader grab the fly and slide it out. Rarely with barbless do I have to net or take a fish out of water to unhook and release it.

huntsfurfish 01-20-2020 07:31 PM

Rarely with barbed do I have to net or take a fish out of water to unhook or release it.

bessiedog 01-20-2020 10:11 PM

Lots of conclusions based on a really really really small sample size kids.

Maybe the whole study would provide better empirical support for the conclusion...

But this sure feels like a ‘hey we got science proof off of one dinky study.. now we can be sanctimonious’.

One study makes me go hmmmm, possibly, but nah.

So I ain’t buying the conclusion. You do what you want on the stream.... I’ll do what I want.

If it’s within the regs..... don’t be judgy-preachy.

Flame suit on.

wind drift 01-20-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bessiedog (Post 4096814)
Lots of conclusions based on a really really really small sample size kids.

Maybe the whole study would provide better empirical support for the conclusion...

But this sure feels like a ‘hey we got science proof off of one dinky study.. now we can be sanctimonious’.

One study makes me go hmmmm, possibly, but nah.

So I ain’t buying the conclusion. You do what you want on the stream.... I’ll do what I want.

If it’s within the regs..... don’t be judgy-preachy.

Flame suit on.

Or, to look at it another way, this is a little bit of science to teach us what we already know deep down already. Making a fish exert itself and then allowing it to suffocate longer than it needs to isn't good for the fish.

Keep ‘em wet. Not so hard. We don’t need regs for everything.

Mr Flyguy 01-20-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commieboy (Post 4096502)
I agree with the sentiment, but...

your - possessive. That is YOUR fish
you're- contraction of YOU ARE. You're killing our fish. -> You are killing our fish

I'm glad somebody else is also protecting the English language here.

I'm OK with a quick photo if possible, but not hauling the fish over to a more photogenic area and then releasing it.

MK2750 01-21-2020 12:12 AM

With the price of phones I can't imagine holding one over the water with wet hands snapping pictures of a slippery fish. I have one of the water proof Olympus Tough cameras which makes it much easier to keep the fish wet.

Lornce 01-21-2020 07:01 AM

Wish I could read the study but you need to pay for it.

goldscud 01-21-2020 10:15 AM

The idea that I didn't see it die beside my feet so I must be OK in my handling practice...is so short sighted.
There is lots of scientific evidence beyond this one study showing the effects of air exposure post exercise.
If you want to chose to ignore it, you will have live with the long term effects of your neglect

FlyTheory 01-21-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldscud (Post 4096987)
The idea that I didn't see it die beside my feet so I must be OK in my handling practice...is so short sighted.
There is lots of scientific evidence beyond this one study showing the effects of air exposure post exercise.
If you want to chose to ignore it, you will have live with the long term effects of your neglect

2X!! I really appreciate this ^ thanks for saying it!!

Speckle55 01-21-2020 06:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I prefer picture's like these if I am releasing:test:

just saying:party0052:

David:)

jgib01 01-22-2020 01:13 PM

Mean air exposure time of 112 seconds seems super high to me. I would hope that most people are becoming more inclined to much shorter times out of the water for pics. If there isn't water still dripping off the fish in good fashion, it has been out too long. I started trying the "hold your breath" trick a couple of years ago, and it snapped me back into awareness a few times.

commieboy 01-22-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4096826)
I'm glad somebody else is also protecting the English language here.

I had to use Grammarly. :rolleye2:

I'm with you, Mr Flyguy. We have to do what we can.

Back on topic... I also have the Olympus Tough. Excellent for the intended purpose. Cell phones are too finicky for the job and you're always worried about dropping it and what not.