Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tikka fit vs Browning (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369802)

puphood1 09-22-2019 08:13 AM

Tikka fit vs Browning

I am looking at buying a Tikka T3X however when shouldering the stores guns they seem to be 1/2-1 inch short of sitting on my shoulder properly. I also tried a Browning X bolt which shouldered up much better and compared the two rifles side by side and it appeared that the X-bolt's butt end of the stock was longer by about 1/2 inch.
As I was hoping to purchase a T3X I am wondering if there is a fit fix for the stocks lack of length? Shim? Replacement stock ?....Thanks...

DiabeticKripple 09-22-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puphood1 (Post 4029630)
I am looking at buying a Tikka T3X however when shouldering the stores guns they seem to be 1/2-1 inch short of sitting on my shoulder properly. I also tried a Browning X bolt which shouldered up much better and compared the two rifles side by side and it appeared that the X-bolt's butt end of the stock was longer by about 1/2 inch.
As I was hoping to purchase a T3X I am wondering if there is a fit fix for the stocks lack of length? Shim? Replacement stock ?....Thanks...

You can buy butt pads that are thick to increase the length of pull.

I went with a limb saver pad as the tikkas are bad for kicking.

huntingfamily 09-22-2019 03:48 PM

I did the same. Ended up walking out with the x-bolt.
No regrets.

colroggal 09-22-2019 04:07 PM

It may be a model thing for fit. I have a T3x CTR that has a perfect lop for me. I'm 6'4" and like a longish stock.

As for recoil, it's a .308 with a heavy barrel. However it recoils about the same as my Ruger gsr. I do plan on picking up a hunter model at some point this winter in 7mm rem mag, so we'll see about that.

That CTR, btw, shoots a 3/4 moa fouling group.

Colin

puphood1 09-26-2019 07:23 AM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 4029644)
You can buy butt pads that are thick to increase the length of pull.

I went with a limb saver pad as the tikkas are bad for kicking.

Thanks. Was yours a T3x. As they have changed the recoil pad on the T3x? If so how much thicker is the new limb saver and is it a good fit to the gun?. I put a limb saver on my M77 years ago and had to make it fit....Thanks again....

raw outdoors 09-26-2019 07:33 AM

I love guys that walk into the gun shop with visions of sugar plumbs in there head in September with there t shirts on, shoulder rifles ooogle and giggle and buy something new and shiny then comes November and they put on 4 layers of clothing and they can’t get the sight picture correct in there scope because there LOP is to long and there scope is to forward set up for them
In the store while they wore they’re coolest mossy oak T shirt!!

bubba300 09-26-2019 08:45 AM

I like both rifles but the x bolt fit me better,t3x are a lighter rifle and carry nicer but like others have said a limbsaver is a must on them.

timsesink 09-26-2019 10:11 AM

Browning's for me all the way.

Tronneroi 09-26-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raw outdoors (Post 4031162)
I love guys that walk into the gun shop with visions of sugar plumbs in there head in September with there t shirts on, shoulder rifles ooogle and giggle and buy something new and shiny then comes November and they put on 4 layers of clothing and they can’t get the sight picture correct in there scope because there LOP is to long and there scope is to forward set up for them
In the store while they wore they’re coolest mossy oak T shirt!!

LOL dang man, better hope the temperature doesn't change when you're hunting. If you have to take off your jacket you might never get that shot off!

Howard Hutchinson 09-26-2019 12:13 PM

:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tronneroi (Post 4031315)
LOL dang man, better hope the temperature doesn't change when you're hunting. If you have to take off your jacket you might never get that shot off!

raw outdoors 09-26-2019 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tronneroi (Post 4031315)

Hey bubba I was at bass pro and got a sweet deal on a rifle for the old lady, got the scope mounted up with there best guy out of the fishing department. Took the old lady out to McLean creek to get it sighted in weather was real hot so she had her dress on obviously. Fired off a bunch of round at a tree till it fell over. Poor old lady got a black eye from something can’t figure it out. Guy at bass pro was a professional gun fit me great. Got a nice picture of my girl shooting her tightest group yet.

Tronneroi 09-26-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raw outdoors (Post 4031318)
Hey bubba I was at bass pro and got a sweet deal on a rifle for the old lady, got the scope mounted up with there best guy out of the fishing department. Took the old lady out to McLean creek to get it sighted in weather was real hot so she had her dress on obviously. Fired off a bunch of round at a tree till it fell over. Poor old lady got a black eye from something can’t figure it out. Guy at bass pro was a professional gun fit me great. Got a nice picture of my girl shooting her tightest group yet.

So that's why my wife can't hit anything... I'll have to take that photo out with us next time to correct her form!

andy1 10-06-2019 09:45 PM

T3. Some shops sell just the barrelled action complete. You can put whatever stock or chassis you want.