Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Goose Feathers (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=363756)

mtnhunter 05-12-2019 09:48 PM

Goose Feathers

Any successful snow goose hunters this spring willing to part with feathers for a friend who needs them for a craft? She is specifically looking for the long flight feathers from the wings. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nafiul15 05-13-2019 06:51 PM

Should have posted it earlier. I left in the garbage after my hunt

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnhunter (Post 3975440)
Any successful snow goose hunters this spring willing to part with feathers for a friend who needs them for a craft? She is specifically looking for the long flight feathers from the wings. Thanks!

DSD Addict 05-14-2019 11:55 AM

I will be in your general area in the fall and will be happy to share feathers with you if you want to come get them from me in Stettler County.

I tried to bring some home last year for my girlfriend's craft project and got hassled at the border for it. Would love it if a local could get some use out of them.

mtnhunter 05-14-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSD Addict (Post 3976049)
I will be in your general area in the fall and will be happy to share feathers with you if you want to come get them from me in Stettler County.

I tried to bring some home last year for my girlfriend's craft project and got hassled at the border for it. Would love it if a local could get some use out of them.

Thanks DSD! If I’m still searching for more at that time I’ll be sure to connect with you.

thumper 05-15-2019 11:26 PM

If your friend is selling the craft, they might wish to reconsider. Selling any part of a migratory bird is a big no no.

mtnhunter 05-17-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 3976818)
If your friend is selling the craft, they might wish to reconsider. Selling any part of a migratory bird is a big no no.

Hey thumper, my friend is not selling the craft

antlercarver 05-18-2019 09:11 AM

Feathers

We have a lot of geese on our yard and every summer about June- July they
molt their feathers. I have to pick about a pail full of long end of the wing flight feathers other wise the lawn mower makes a unsightly mess of them.
Any where you see a lot of geese now or better still in July just go picking. In some areas the footing may be a bit slippery

walking buffalo 05-18-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 3976818)

Molted feathers are considered Exuviae, which is not defined as Wildlife.

The feathers from Antlercarver's yard are legal for sale.

The question becomes if it is worth the hassle to argue with any enforcement officer as to proving that the feathers were molted or obtained from a dead bird.