Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Long Range Hunting Success (Poll) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=338824)

Salavee 02-06-2018 03:22 PM

Long Range Hunting Success (Poll)

The practice of Long Range Hunting is becoming increasingly popular but harvest success rates are obscure. Let's see where we're are at:

1) I have harvested at least three Big Game animals at a distance of 450-549 yards.

2) I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of 550-649 yards.

3) I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of 650-749 yards.

4) I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at distances of 750 yards or greater

alder 02-06-2018 05:16 PM

you should have added:

"I have never harvested an animal at a distance greater than 300 yards", to see how many don't participate in long range hunting on this forum. Just to see how it would change the percentages. Good survey though.

Dubious 02-06-2018 05:22 PM

Ya I would add an option for the less than 300 just to put it all in perspective. I would guess that most game is taken in the 0-200 yard range

Nyksta 02-06-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubious (Post 3725959)
Ya I would add an option for the less than 300 just to put it all in perspective. I would guess that most game is taken in the 0-200 yard range

Id wager that more than 99% of animals are taken less than 300 meters if you were to get an accurate survey of all alberta hunters

Pathfinder76 02-06-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3725962)
Id wager that more than 99% of animals are taken less than 300 meters if you were to get an accurate survey of all alberta hunters

Well no, because I would imagine that those that answer this survey have also taken game under 300 yds.

LKILR 02-06-2018 05:33 PM

If you can’t get close than your not hunting. You’re just sniping.

Nyksta 02-06-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3725965)
Well no, because I would imagine that those that answer this survey have also taken game under 300 yds.

Exactly what i mean. I myself am interested in long range shooting and feel comfortable out to 500 meters if the circumstances are proper. But the major part of my hunting still ends up being very close. I regularly set up with long range views of forest edge, and still most times my animals are taken under 80m. This year i got two animals. they were 45 meters and 6 meters.

BorealBucks 02-06-2018 06:03 PM

i have never shot an animal more than 50-60 yards away, that's because i bush hunt.

Pathfinder76 02-06-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3725980)
Exactly what i mean. I myself am interested in long range shooting and feel comfortable out to 500 meters if the circumstances are proper. But the major part of my hunting still ends up being very close. I regularly set up with long range views of forest edge, and still most times my animals are taken under 80m. This year i got two animals. they were 45 meters and 6 meters.

I mean, a hunter can do both.

catnthehat 02-06-2018 06:11 PM

I hear all the time about long distance, short distance , and people slamming those that advocate or even occasionally shoot at long distance - right here in this thread in fact
I also have heard those that turn up their noses at people that shoot only at short distance .
However I have never seen a definitive distance parameter for long and short - basically because one Hunter's distance Maxim is not the same as another's .
I have shot them what I consider long and short .
Cat

hayseed 02-06-2018 06:18 PM

This should be a gooder.....

Vacation 02-06-2018 06:24 PM

Not a long range man....up close and personal...

Scottmisfits 02-06-2018 06:25 PM

As close as 20 yards, as far as 350 yards. Both under your parameters.

trigger7mm 02-06-2018 06:28 PM

Long range hunting success

Just wondering...does long range shooting somehow make up for a lack of hunting skills?

Pathfinder76 02-06-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 3726015)
Just wondering...does long range shooting somehow make up for a lack of hunting skills?

I’m curious as to why?

warriorboy10 02-06-2018 06:57 PM

My experience. It’s not about shooting long distances. It’s about working with a piece of equipment and getting to know what your equipment and yourself are capable of. Whether you make a clean kill at 80 yards or 800 yards that’s what working with your equipment will prepare you for.

slough shark 02-06-2018 07:06 PM

I suspect for a number of people this survey is bunk, I’ve talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at some pretty lon distances. In several of the cases they said they killed elk and deer at like 6,700 yards. Few holes to the stories in many cases, talk about placing the crosshairs on the spine, not using a rangefinder and this was the estimated distance. Anyone who has actually shot at ranges like that knows how much their bullet drops and how exact the distance needs to be to what you’re shooting for or you will miss.

bobalong 02-06-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 3726015)

Just wondering does your good hunting skills make up for your poor shooting skills:).
I am curious why there are so many of you that have to throw the "poor hunting skills" out there every time you talk of someone shooting long range.

These comments I believe are usually made by people who assume that other peoples shooting skills are as limited as their own.

I am not a long range shooter/hunter because I don't have the skills for it nor the dedication to become proficient at it but and I am fine with that.I do not question others abilities just because I can not duplicate them. How others hunt as long as it is legal is not really any of my business. I am happy with my equipment and my skills, albeit the range is somewhat limited, and by the way degrading others does NOTHING to improve your skills.

Just wondering for those who have put the time and dedication in to become excellent hunters, what makes you think that long range shooters have not put the time and dedication into becoming excellent shots at long range.

Grizzly303 02-06-2018 07:28 PM

Only less than 150

catnthehat 02-06-2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobalong (Post 3726084)
Just wondering does your good hunting skills make up for your poor shooting skills:).

Just wondering for those who have put the time and dedication in to become excellent hunters, what makes you think that long range shooters have not put the time and dedication into becoming excellent shots at long range.

I have often wondered that as well.
Or to assume that long range hunters are somehow lousy short range hunters!:thinking-006:
Cat

Freerider 02-06-2018 07:57 PM

Every big game animal I have taken has been well under your poll. Furthest shot on an animal was 500m coyote have killed 3 at that distance. Here’s my take on the whole controversial long range hunting thing. I love long range shooting and push myself to practice as far as I can push my rifles. I think guys pushing themselves to be capable further out is great. The problem is when it becomes more about the shot then the animal. Every effort should be made to close the distance as much as possible taking a 500m+ shot when you have the option for closer is wrong. If the only shot available is inside your abilities take it. What is ethical for one person is not true for another. I like Steve Rinellas take if your surprised you made the shot that’s to far. For some long range is 200 for others they don’t even start to worry until 500+. They key is to practice as much as possible and know your limits.

marlin1 02-06-2018 08:05 PM

was happy with my 300 yard moose this year , thats near my limit for now with current set up

BuckCuller 02-06-2018 08:10 PM

Only shot one over 400.

I don’t qualify for this pole.

Pathfinder76 02-06-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3726097)
I have often wondered that as well.
Or to assume that long range hunters are somehow lousy short range hunters!:thinking-006:
Cat

This is the funny part. I’ve hunted extremely hard and ended up getting a 450 yd shot or nothing. I’ve also hunted extremely hard and shot game at 15 yds. The opposite to this is also the case. As a friend of mine has said. I prefer to see the whites of their eyes when I shoot them. I agree. But I certainly won’t go home empty handed passing up a good shot at 450 yds.

rem338win 02-06-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3726174)
This is the funny part. I’ve hunted extremely hard and ended up getting a 450 yd shot or nothing. I’ve also hunted extremely hard and shot game at 15 yds. The opposite to this is also the case. As a friend of mine has said. I prefer to see the whites of their eyes when I shoot them. I agree. But I certainly won’t go home empty handed passing up a good shot at 450 yds.

Exactly.

Norwest Alta 02-06-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayseed (Post 3726003)
This should be a gooder.....

Hah

Norwest Alta 02-06-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3726174)

Curious what hunting extremely hard is? I've shot animals at both the ranges you speak of. Didn't have to hunt extremely hard at all. Must just come naturally to some I suppose.

catnthehat 02-06-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3726217)
Curious what hunting extremely hard is? I've shot animals at both the ranges you speak of. Didn't have to hunt extremely hard at all. Must just come naturally to some I suppose.

Sometimes one has to hunt long and very carefully to find an animal , some areas are not loaded with critters and it takes time.
Cat

Pathfinder76 02-06-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3726217)

25 miles from the nearest light bulb. For starters.

Norwest Alta 02-06-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3726226)
25 miles from the nearest light bulb. For starters.

Been there done that x2. 4 animals. 330 yds was the furthest about 75 yds was the closet. Extreme conditions and terrain but didn't have to hunt extremely hard.