Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   RCPM open fire on residents and volunteer fire fighters (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381537)

raw outdoors 05-14-2020 07:15 AM

RCPM open fire on residents and volunteer fire fighters

Two RCMP officers opened fire at the Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade hall in central Nova Scotia during the manhunt for the gunman responsible for the province's mass shooting. (Paul Palmeter/CBC)
Confusion over a parked police cruiser and someone wearing a safety vest led two RCMP officers to start shooting at a person at a central Nova Scotia firehall during the manhunt for the gunman in last month's mass shooting, sources confirmed to CBC.

Officers missed and no one was injured in the April 19 incident at the Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade hall, which was left peppered with bullet holes. The gunman at the centre of the manhunt was not in the area at the time.

The hall was being used as an emergency refuge centre for residents from Portapique, N.S., the village where the shooting rampage that ultimately took 22 lives had started 12 hours before.

An RCMP cruiser and an officer were stationed at the hall. At the time, police forces across the province were on the lookout for the gunman, who was impersonating an officer and driving a replica RCMP cruiser, and was continuing to kill as he moved from community to community.

Sources confirmed the account of a witness who previously told CBC that two RCMP officers pulled up to the firehall, located about 25 kilometres east of Portapique, and opened fire at around 10:30 a.m. local time. The incident was over in a few seconds and the officers took off.

The Nova Scotia Serious Incident Response Team is investigating what happened. It remains unclear precisely whom the officers opened fire on.

'The most traumatic thing they ever endured'

Less than 10 minutes before the incident, RCMP had tweeted that the shooting suspect was in the Debert and Central Onslow area.

However, surveillance footage that was later retrieved showed the gunman had already moved beyond the community. Video taken at 10:25 a.m. in Millbrook, about 13 kilometres down the road, shows him wearing a fluorescent safety vest.

One of the bullet holes left in the side of the firehall. Some of the bullets even damaged one the fire brigade's trucks. (Paul Palmeter/CBC)
Two of the people at the firehall were the fire chief and deputy chief, who declined interviews this week. Clair Peers, a volunteer firefighter who speaks for the brigade, said the firefighters were not wearing safety vests and were in a meeting room with a displaced resident who was trying to register for emergency support when the shots started.

"It was probably the most traumatic thing that they ever endured," said Peers. "These guys were inside on the floor with the tables tipped up … this was a situation that they're never going to forget."

The gunfire damaged one of the fire trucks. It left bullet holes in a stone monument to fallen members and in the walls of the white building.

It's unclear who was wearing a safety vest. Peers said that in addition to the RCMP officer stationed outside the hall, there was a Colchester County official there overseeing the evacuation centre.

Joy McCabe, who lives next to the Onslow hall, previously told CBC she saw two men who appeared to be RCMP officers pull up and start firing at the hall. She said she saw a third man crouching down between two vehicles.

WATCH | What we know about how the mass shooting unfolded:

Watch
13 Hours: What we know about how the Nova Scotia mass shooting unfolded
14 days ago 7:21
Based on RCMP reports, audio recordings and interviews, this is what we know about what happened during a gunman's rampage that left 22 victims dead. 7:21
Pat Curran, acting director of SIRT, said he didn't have any additional details to share this week. But the chaotic scene that unfolded at the hall reflects just how frantic the search for the gunman was that morning.

By the time the two officers arrived at the firehall, the shooter was already about 20 kilometres further south, where he passed a gas station in the Brookfield area, according to surveillance photos the Mounties released last week.

Tight-knit brigade shaken by incident

Peers wasn't at the firehall that morning and said it's still not clear to the firefighters what exactly prompted the RCMP officers to start firing. But he said he can appreciate they were in the midst of an unpredictable situation.

"It obviously definitely had something to do with the shooter, you know. But how that unfolded? I had no idea. And it was a pretty tense time," Peers said. "We're not probing or anything like that."

Like any family unit, the Onslow Belmont firefighters look out for one another, said Peers. They regularly get together for breakfast on Sundays to swap stories about their week.

After the deadly rampage and the shots fired at their base, the brigade held a gathering to talk about what happened.

The group is used to responding to deadly highway crashes and the occasional standoff. But half the time they're helping with medical emergencies. Their first call of 2020 was to rescue a 22-year-old horse that broke through the ice of its owner's pond.

Clair Peers is a volunteer firefighter who speaks for the Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade. (CBC)
The horror that played out throughout the surrounding communities last month was unlike anything they imagined.

"We have the highest respect for the RCMP and they have to do their job, and they have to do what they do the way they want to do it. And I think that we know that at some point in time information will be released," Peers said.

The brigade's members are just relieved no one was hurt by the shots at the hall, said Peers, but he's still keeping an eye on his fellow volunteers for signs of strain. The brigade's deputy chief and chief are now seeking counselling to help process the experience.

The shots fired at their hall have shaken the close-knit group, many of whom are also connected in some way to the families who are grieving and the people who were killed.

For now, they have resumed delivering groceries to people amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In some ways, things are returning to normal and Peers said the volunteers are as committed as ever to serving the community.

"We will always respond, and it doesn't matter whether the tree blew down on your house or the cat climbed up the tree. Whatever it is, we will respond. They can be rest assured," said Peers.

The fire truck hit by bullets is already back in service. Peers said he's not worried about the damage to the building.

"Those things can all be fixed. Yeah, other things that take time to heal," he said. "My concern was the people. That's what we have to do, back up our comrades."

elkhunter11 05-14-2020 07:27 AM

It's fortunate that these trigger happy officers were incompetent with their firearms, and missed the person that they were shooting at, and that the bullets didn't hit any other innocent civilians either.. Wounding or killing an innocent person, would have been much more difficult to sweep under the rug, than damage to a fire truck and buildings. But the fact that these trigger happy individuals are RCMP officers, will prevent them from being charged , for putting the lives of those citizens at risk.

58thecat 05-14-2020 07:42 AM

Here we go....another thread on LEO's gonna get interesting.....:1041::cheers:

barsik 05-14-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4169801)
It's fortunate that these trigger happy officers were incompetent with their firearms, and missed the person that they were shooting at, and that the bullets didn't hit any other innocent civilians either.. Wounding or killing an innocent person, would have been much more difficult to sweep under the rug, than damage to a fire truck and buildings. But the fact that these trigger happy individuals are RCMP officers, will prevent them from being charged , for putting the lives of those citizens at risk.

they were shooting at one of their own officers. the firehouse was a designated sanctuary for people after they learned the madman was disguised as a police officer. an officer was standing guard in front of the building to protect the people inside when a cruiser rolled up on the scene they only knew the suspect was disguised as a police officer and weren't aware of the firehall's designated purpose. must have been some rather animated language on the radio after the smoke cleared. as more information is released, it is quite obvious that the gun confiscation is a total farce.

58thecat 05-14-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barsik (Post 4169808)
they were shooting at one of their own officers. the firehouse was a designated sanctuary for people after they learned the madman was disguised as a police officer. an officer was standing guard in front of the building to protect the people inside when a cruiser rolled up on the scene they only knew the suspect was disguised as a police officer and weren't aware of the firehall's designated purpose. must have been some rather animated language on the radio after the smoke cleared. as more information is released, it is quite obvious that the gun confiscation is a total farce.

Just to let you folks know that even with highly skilled tactical ERT teams/militar
friendly fire will happen too....things get a little antsy/ramped up at times.

elkhunter11 05-14-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barsik (Post 4169808)

The officer at the fire hall probably never imagined that the closest that he would come to death that day, was to have fellow officers trying to kill him.

Quote:

Just to let you folks know that even with highly skilled tactical ERT teams/militar
Friendly fire can happen during a firefight, but it usually happens when there is an actual threat present. With the suspect nowhere in the area, the only threat present, was the two officers that opened fire.

45/70/500 05-14-2020 07:59 AM

if you are disqualified from the mall cop service you may have a career with the RCMP come see us We are recruiting apply at www.nitwitliberalgov.ca

catnthehat 05-14-2020 08:02 AM

For crying out loud this news is so yesterday !
Give it a rest you bunch of whiny children !
It happen, it was a terrible terrible mistake but I'm sure the department is going to call all you bloody experts for your opinion before they render a decision!

Cat

58thecat 05-14-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4169820)
The officer at the fire hall probably never imagined that the closest that he would come to death that day, was to have fellow officers trying to kill him.

Friendly fire can happen during a firefight, but it usually happens when there is an actual threat present. With the suspect nowhere in the area, the only threat present, was the two officers that opened fire.

Your speculating.....again.

Good luck.....a few may bite.

I am with cat in this one.....old news....move on....

https://theprovince.com/news/local-n...6-a79b709d3f27

waldedw 05-14-2020 08:29 AM

Yup old news ?? terrible mistake ??

The gun ban is old news also, and a terrible mistake ?? how long will it take you to move on from it ??

zabbo 05-14-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4169818)

In a flat out raging firefight, ok. This was a 12 to 14 hour crap show from beginning to end . The whole thing was bungled. IMHO. :budo:

1899b 05-14-2020 08:34 AM

Hard to defend a constabulary that never has to face consequences for ineptness time and time again. It’s getting old. I can’t stand that the RCMP are never held accountable.

Whatever came of this??

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macl...n-bourque/amp/

Another one of note was the 2014 St Paul Alberta debacle as well.

Grizzly Adams 05-14-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4169818)

Word is FBI and ATF killed a few of their own guys at Waco and laid the blame on Koresh and company,

Grizz

Twisted Canuck 05-14-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4169806)

And in your mind, they did nothing wrong, as usual? Once the badge goes on, they immediately are always on the side of angels, correct?

glen moa 05-14-2020 09:11 AM

Bang.
What did I get? You got a fire truck sir. Was that a warning shot? I’m trying to flush him out. Who sir? I’m not sure but I see a safety vest. I’m out of bullets let’s leave. Ya me too. Let’s go.

kilgoretrout 05-14-2020 09:49 AM

Old News

Yawn....... where have you guys been ..... napping...... this came out weeks ago ....... :snapoutofit:

BigJon 05-14-2020 09:53 AM

Paid leave. The RCMP will investigate itself. Find their officers all acted heroically. The media will drop a couple more news "bombshells" into the mix to help everyone move along and that'll be that.

With all the amazing, good intention cops out there why are they not banding together to demand more accountability from their own agency when this type of stuff happens? You'd think they'd want to see the cops responsible for this asking "want fries with that" rather than stay in uniform.

58thecat 05-14-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4169869)
And in your mind, they did nothing wrong, as usual? Once the badge goes on, they immediately are always on the side of angels, correct?

I don't believe in angels....but when the wolves come circling someone has to be there....

https://www.ckom.com/2020/05/04/rcmp...wan-break-ins/

elkhunter11 05-14-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4169944)
I don't believe in angels....but when the wolves come circling someone has to be there....

And when the wolves are threatening your life, the last thing that you need is wolves in uniform shooting up the fire hall you are seeking refuge in.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Twisted Canuck 05-14-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4169944)

I agree, when the wolves come it would be nice for someone to be there. Usually they don't make it until it's time to investigate, or a lot of damage has already been done. And God help you if you look after yourself, because then you become the criminal. Ask Gerald Stanley and others about that.

And sometimes the wolves have yellow stripes on their legs and wear badges even. And they are kicking in doors and stealing gums from people who got evacuated because of a flood. And stuff like that.

58thecat 05-14-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4170050)
I agree, when the wolves come it would be nice for someone to be there. Usually they don't make it until it's time to investigate, or a lot of damage has already been done. And God help you if you look after yourself, because then you become the criminal. Ask Gerald Stanley and others about that.

And sometimes the wolves have yellow stripes on their legs and wear badges even. And they are kicking in doors and stealing gums from people who got evacuated because of a flood. And stuff like that.

well as long as it was only gum no real biggie...would be pizzed if it was my piggy bank or hockey card collection. :)

Twisted Canuck 05-14-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4170083)
well as long as it was only gum no real biggie...would be pizzed if it was my piggy bank or hockey card collection. :)

Yeah, thanks for catching the typo. It's always good to have somebody around who can really contribute like that.

58thecat 05-14-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4170085)
Yeah, thanks for catching the typo. It's always good to have somebody around who can really contribute like that.

your welcome....no harm done...just messing with ya.

I got your point as you have gotten mine....poop happens.

Twisted Canuck 05-14-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4170086)
your welcome....no harm done...just messing with ya.

I got your point as you have gotten mine....poop happens.

So, when two police don't identify a target, and open fire and endanger lives, you would classify that as poop happens? Like a typo where you miss the 'n' and hit that 'm' key right next to it? :confused:

270person 05-14-2020 07:01 PM

At least nobody lost a toe this time.

I remember an old movie back when I was a kid. The Gang That Couldnt Shoot Straight. No wonder the government wants to take all the guns away. A 9 year old with a Nerf gun and an ice cream cone represents a better deterrent.

vcmm 05-14-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4169806)

Let it go already!! They screw up more than you think! Look at Bill Blair.
I don't care of this gets me a time out or banned.Enough is enough..:thinking-006:

huntinstuff 05-14-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4169869)

I was an angel.......

Not a "saint", but an angel

There is a difference

😉😉😉😉😉

58thecat 05-14-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4170090)
So, when two police don't identify a target, and open fire and endanger lives, you would classify that as poop happens? Like a typo where you miss the 'n' and hit that 'm' key right next to it? :confused:

We don't know what took place there other than shots fired.

Your speculating way toooo much again.

58thecat 05-14-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcmm (Post 4170203)
Let it go already!! They screw up more than you think! Look at Bill Blair.
I don't care of this gets me a time out or banned.Enough is enough..:thinking-006:

Breath a bit...Bill Blair is another can of worms....people go,about thier day ban wagon jumping and speculating based on really nothing.....All I am pointing out is there is a lot of hate and haters are going to hate.....
We know nothing other than what was reported by a liable source....:snapoutofit:.....a story teller no more no less....and then along comes social media....:scared0015:

urcayuse 05-14-2020 09:17 PM

Look I get that the RCMP is an old and well respected institution, but the hero worship is a bit undeserved in this situation. Prior to the massacre the neighbors complained about this guy and cache of weapons he had, nothing happened.
Instead of sending out an emergency alert they used "Twitter"...Pure genius!
And to top it all off apparently part of the ROE was to light up anyone next to a parked cruiser wearing a safety vest....and then flee the scene.
We all know heads should roll for this circus of buffoonery and the likely hood they will is pretty small unfortunately.