Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Eskimo 6120I (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339877)

DOGFISH 02-23-2018 12:23 AM

Eskimo 6120I

Who else has one of these. They are awesome. Set up and take down is easy. Tons of windows. Zippers can be closed with one hand, snow skirt is large and peels off Ice easily. Stays warm easily. Tons of space. Do not hear the wind on the tent. Lots of reflective material on the outside I am going to start winter camping in mine as I just made an insulated floor for it.:sHa_shakeshout:

trophyhunter 02-23-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOGFISH (Post 3737694)
Who else has one of these. They are awesome. Set up and take down is easy. Tons of windows. Zippers can be closed with one hand, snow skirt is large and peels off Ice easily. Stays warm easily. Tons of space. Do not hear the wind on the tent. Lots of reflective material on the outside I am going to start winter camping in mine as I just made an insulated floor for it.:sHa_shakeshout:

I’m interested in the winter floor idea. Description or pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calgarygringo 02-23-2018 06:51 AM

Yes the floor sounds interesting. Pics?

I use the interlocking gym matts but still looking for a better idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophyhunter (Post 3737718)
I’m interested in the winter floor idea. Description or pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavYak 02-23-2018 07:03 AM

We use a 6120i and do overnights in it. Imo it is the best tent for overnight trips due to its layout, heat holding ability and ability to stand up to wind.

Imo you don't need a floor, just use cots and get 4 of those foam kid mats. One cot each side of tent and the 4 mats up the middle. Drill up to 2 holes on the opposite side of cot and you are set. Gives you an area to stand without boots on and keeps the ice/snow from melting in front of the heater. Cot with a camping pad and sleeping bag will keep you plenty warm even in -30 or colder, we use a sunflower heater in ours and never turn it up over low on one burner.

The only thing I don't like about the 6120i is the small doors. I am only 5'10 170 lbs and it can still be annoying to try and get in and out of, I imagine big guys would have trouble getting in and out.

The quickfish 5 insulated is a really nice looking tent too. Not the proper shape for doing an overnight with 2 people but a great shape for 2 or 3 people out fishing for a day, has bigger doors too, I would consider it over the 6120i if I wasn't planning on doing overnight trips.

calgarygringo 02-23-2018 07:17 AM

We looked at it too and decided against it after both us us little guys thought the doors on it sucked. I cannot imagine big guys and that system. I could see a few headers happening going in and out of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3737722)
We use a 6120i and do overnights in it. Imo it is the best tent for overnight trips due to its layout, heat holding ability and ability to stand up to wind.

Imo you don't need a floor, just use cots and get 4 of those foam kid mats. One cot each side of tent and the 4 mats up the middle. Drill up to 2 holes on the opposite side of cot and you are set. Gives you an area to stand without boots on and keeps the ice/snow from melting in front of the heater. Cot with a camping pad and sleeping bag will keep you plenty warm even in -30 or colder, we use a sunflower heater in ours and never turn it up over low on one burner.

The only thing I don't like about the 6120i is the small doors. I am only 5'10 170 lbs and it can still be annoying to try and get in and out of, I imagine big guys would have trouble getting in and out.

The quickfish 5 insulated is a really nice looking tent too. Not the proper shape for doing an overnight with 2 people but a great shape for 2 or 3 people out fishing for a day, has bigger doors too, I would consider it over the 6120i if I wasn't planning on doing overnight trips.

DOGFISH 02-23-2018 07:31 AM

The design with the hubs will not allow for bigger doors. I guess you can't always have it all. I am once again unable to post pictures on this site but I used a 10 x 10 insulated tarp with a couple pieces of good one side 3/8" plywood to keep the chairs and cots from poking through and making it non slip. Building a 77" center post now for the middle hub incase snow build up overnight, and I will also mount my battery operated CO detector and a few coat hooks on it.

RavYak 02-23-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOGFISH (Post 3737731)
The design with the hubs will not allow for bigger doors. I guess you can't always have it all. I am once again unable to post pictures on this site but I used a 10 x 10 insulated tarp with a couple pieces of good one side 3/8" plywood to keep the chairs and cots from poking through and making it non slip. Building a 77" center post now for the middle hub incase snow build up overnight, and I will also mount my battery operated CO detector and a few coat hooks on it.

Yes the 6 sides and small wall sizes is what makes it require small doors. It is also what makes it the best tent in windy situations. We have had ours out in some pretty nasty stuff and it always does great. Just wanted to mention it because like I say we both dislike the doors and are smaller guys. Anyone 250+ would probably have a heck of a time getting into these tents.

As for flooring one of the best secrets I can share is to not shovel the snow away(unless there is lots of snow then shovel it down but leave an inch or two). The bit of snow pack keeps the floor from getting slippery.

DOGFISH 02-23-2018 02:36 PM

I have to agree we were out at Island Lake overnight and during the day the wind was blowing hard when you were out side as you needed a balaclava, but inside was quiet and no noise or buffeting from the wind. We were quite impressed as it anchored nicely with 4 ice anchors and never budged, we did not even anchor the side hubs. Very happy with the purchase so far. Dogfish

FishHunterPro 02-23-2018 06:09 PM

I was thinking of using the orange insulated tarp in my tent for the floor. I really don’t have plans to fish from my hut though for over night trips.

JohninAB 02-23-2018 06:43 PM

Hmmm, I have checked out the 6120i at The Fishin Hole and had no issues with the door and I am no small guy. Seen the 5i today set up at the west end store. Was impressed. Sure seemed to have a ton more room than my 949i.

Willowtrail 02-23-2018 08:56 PM

I always bring a 3/8” osb floor when I do overnight trips. Things stay dry that way. Best secret to overnight trips other than 1 1/2” pvc or abs pipe under the skirt before snow goes on.

I haven’t insulated them but have always been thinking of how to without making it too thick. I run a different insulated Eskimo and it’s a way better then the non insulated version.

DOGFISH 02-23-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninAB (Post 3738176)
Hmmm, I have checked out the 6120i at The Fishin Hole and had no issues with the door and I am no small guy. Seen the 5i today set up at the west end store. Was impressed. Sure seemed to have a ton more room than my 949i.

Yes I am the same no small guy, it would be nice if the doors could be bigger but the size and warmth were enough of an advantage to go with the 6120I.

DOGFISH 02-24-2018 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Island lake -24 with 25 kph winds

Shaner 02-26-2018 11:39 AM

I found it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BRIpVA

Ive been looking for a new ice fishing shelter and this thing has tonnes of room. They have it on sale right now too, so I think Im going to have to break the news to my wife that I have a parcel coming! LOL

EZM 02-26-2018 12:11 PM

I've always just rolled out my 4' wide by (whatever you cut it to long) rubber mats for overnighters or long trips and keeps the inside from getting slippery.

I have a big hexagon tent too and I run 2 rolls down either side and put the holes in a line down the middle leaving a gap there - but you could cut it once you figure out "the perfect layout" for how you fish.

I've tried the foam interlocking squares, plywood and other stuff and I keep coming back to the roll up mats ..... they come in different thicknesses and grip patterns and are sold in various widths and by the foot.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...t-/A-p8681645e

After you are done with them roll them back up and throw them back in the truck bed without the fear of them flying away on you down the highway ..... lol ( not that that's ever happened to me or anything).

RavYak 02-26-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninAB (Post 3738176)

It is a fair bit different when you are dressed in full winter gear and trying to carry in a propane tank, auger etc.

As mentioned before though there is no better tent for windy situations or over night trips. I don't know of another tent that I could recommend for a trip like our Athabasca trip a couple years ago, the 6120i handled it well though.

DOGFISH 02-26-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaner (Post 3739967)
I found it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BRIpVA

Ive been looking for a new ice fishing shelter and this thing has tonnes of room. They have it on sale right now too, so I think Im going to have to break the news to my wife that I have a parcel coming! LOL

You would not want an insulated tent? They are heavier and more expensive but worth it in my opinion . Just my 2 cents. Dogfish