Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nice Ram Killed and Left (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=305587)

Ranger CS 10-24-2016 09:49 PM

Nice Ram Killed and Left

Just saw this tonight. What a shame. Looks like some poacher lost their nerve.
Be nice to see who ever is responsible caught and prosecuted.

http://www.660news.com/2016/10/24/fi...valley-poacher

kujoseto 10-24-2016 09:53 PM

Such a disgrace. Beauty of a ram too.
My wife showed me the article and asked if I have seen it on my outdoorsmen site :) She's getting to this stuff before me now haha.

Ranger CS 10-24-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kujoseto (Post 3367199)
Such a disgrace. Beauty of a ram too.
My wife showed me the article and asked if I have seen it on my outdoorsmen site :) She's getting to this stuff before me now haha.

Interesting, my wife found this article this evening and passed it along to me as well. Who said women aren't handy?

Twobucks 10-24-2016 10:23 PM

Ram was found Sept 23 2015 - F&W were waiting for pics to surface. Now asking people to come forward and call Report a Poacher line.

Smokinyotes 10-24-2016 10:34 PM

Very nice ram. Its too bad that we have idiots amongst us who would shoot this ram just because they were trigger happy.

Fur 10-25-2016 06:26 AM

Interesting article. Seems like it was in season when it was shot, wonder if it died and just by chance had its head on the log. Quite possible the hunter was unable to track it and lost it. Doesnt make sense someone shooting a legal ram in a legal season and leaving all of it.

bighornram 10-25-2016 08:10 AM

wmu 406 is not draw is it?

Kolt30 10-25-2016 08:21 AM

Are the tags biologist tags or what?

walking buffalo 10-25-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fur (Post 3367342)
Interesting article. Seems like it was in season when it was shot, wonder if it died and just by chance had its head on the log. Quite possible the hunter was unable to track it and lost it. Doesnt make sense someone shooting a legal ram in a legal season and leaving all of it.

Possibly the ram was shot in a No Hunting area. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolt30 (Post 3367411)
Are the tags biologist tags or what?

Yes. Most bighorns (rams and ewes) that use the Sheep River Wildlife Sanctuary are tagged for research purposes.

Slicktricker 10-25-2016 11:18 AM

I read that on Facebook said it was positioned for pictures and left either way that's just sickening

dave99 10-25-2016 12:23 PM

Horrible to see such a beautiful animal wasted. Wow do rams ever grow quickly in Sheep Sanctuary!

Maybe it's just me, but isn't the ram in amazing and untouched shape for having been killed and left "several days prior"? The eyes are untouched by scavengers, and the cape seems perfect. Can anyone explain that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger CS 10-25-2016 12:36 PM

Yes, the ear tags were installed by gov't guys as this ram likely came from the nearby Sheep River Sheep Sanctuary.
What a shameful waste, I hope someone can provide information to the authorities that will lead to a conviction and a good hard a.... kicking.

waterninja 10-25-2016 03:18 PM

Really is a shame. I'd like to think that someone couldn't find it after shooting it, but who knows what really happened.
Perhaps we'll find out some day.

Big Sky 10-25-2016 03:42 PM

The article described the location as west of Turner Valley near hwy 546.

Quote:

It is unlawful to hunt trophy or non-trophy sheep within the following areas:
1.6 km (1 mi.) of the Sheep River from the eastern boundary of WMU 406 upstream to Dyson Creek,
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

Grizzly Adams 10-25-2016 03:53 PM

The tag on the left ear is yellow with the number 30 on it, while the tag on the right ear is purple with the number 39.

Some people just can't pass up those sanctuary rams, probably shot right off the road. Bow hunter shot one there years ago, P&Y winner, got the guy an invitation to the banquet. Fly in the ointment was that a fish cop recognized the ram in the award photo. :lol:

Grizz

KBF 10-25-2016 05:01 PM

It said officers made the discovery. How often do officers make the discovery? In our area I've never seen an officer leave his truck other than to check a license. Must be more to the story.

Do they microchip sheep and possibly have followed a beacon signal?

deadeye 10-25-2016 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 3367636)
Horrible to see such a beautiful animal wasted. Wow do rams ever grow quickly in Sheep Sanctuary!

Maybe it's just me, but isn't the ram in amazing and untouched shape for having been killed and left "several days prior"? The eyes are untouched by scavengers, and the cape seems perfect. Can anyone explain that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, In an area full of predator/scavengers it is untouched after several days? Birds should have the eyes pecked out before the animal in cold.

Tfng 10-25-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBF (Post 3367903)
It said officers made the discovery. How often do officers make the discovery? In our area I've never seen an officer leave his truck other than to check a license. Must be more to the story.

Do they microchip sheep and possibly have followed a beacon signal?

They received a phone call reporting it. It's in the fine print near the pic.

roger 10-25-2016 07:21 PM

Too bad.
sheep never been a favourite of mine.wasteful

KBF 10-25-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFNG (Post 3367994)
They received a phone call reporting it. It's in the fine print near the pic.

Missed that. Thanks