Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Front Valance Cut (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=408419)

curtz 02-08-2022 07:30 PM

Front Valance Cut

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to cut 4" off the snow plow valance on my truck, think it looks a lot better.

57charlie 02-08-2022 07:33 PM

Just need to take "a little off the top" now.

stubblejumper01 02-08-2022 07:36 PM

That does look better. We had some of those trucks leased. We took those off until the truck was being returned. If we didn’t they would eventually get ripped off and then the lease company overcharged us.

Smokinyotes 02-08-2022 08:17 PM

Looks a lot better. It would look better yet with no front license plate.

CNP 02-08-2022 10:06 PM

I had to google snow plow valance lol. I know it as an air dam. Anyway, mine is completely gone. Got ripped off while I was driving in a crop field when goose hunting and dipped into a drainage in the dark. Got out, picked it up and never put it back on. Truck looks better without it :)

Greatwest 02-08-2022 10:11 PM

Agreed it looks better. Would look even better if it had a Chevy bow tie instead of that Ford emblem. Lol. Just Joking kind of.

elkhunter11 02-09-2022 07:06 AM

It's odd that the F-150 used a retractable front air damn, yet the air am on the Superduty is fixed.

nimrod 02-09-2022 07:19 AM

Front ends of trucks are lower as time goes on, if a truck gets in a accident with a car, bumper need to be the same level, older trucks front bumpers not on the same level, new trucks are like cars now,

Dean2 02-09-2022 07:31 AM

I took the valance completely off mine when I put the winch on. It did not stick down anywhere near as far as your Ford did, but it still hung down at least 4-5". They do it to improve gas mileage and take air away from the underside. No idea how much it really affects the mileage but it sure does affect front approach angle. As far as front bumpers getting lower, this new 2500 is at least 6" taller all around than my 1996 2500, for now good reason other than to look tougher and bigger. It is actually the only thing I don't like about the new truck. It has the same ground clearance as my old one. There is no car made that would not go under the front or rear bumper of this new truck.

https://i.imgur.com/jdBkusy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WzwKS8D.jpg

elkhunter11 02-09-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4485112)
Front ends of trucks are lower as time goes on, if a truck gets in a accident with a car, bumper need to be the same level, older trucks front bumpers not on the same level, new trucks are like cars now,

The air dams are added below the bumpers, and they are added to improve fuel economy, it isn't about accidents.

Stinky Buffalo 02-09-2022 07:38 AM

Looks much better!

I'm also from the "rip it all off" camp, as I know I'll be involuntarily tearing it off when I go bumping down the backroads.

Awesome looking truck by the way! I want one of those when I grow up (which, as IncrediGirl will tell you, is very unlikely to happen!) :D

Don't worry, Dean2, your trucks look awesome to me too. From what I have seen, you keep your equipment in tip-top shape! :wave:

Ackleyman 02-09-2022 07:43 AM

That '96 is a Cherry.
New one looks pretty nice too.

nimrod 02-09-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4485117)
The air dams are added below the bumpers, and they are added to improve fuel economy, it isn't about accidents.

Ok well where are the air dams located on 1995 onto 2000 to 2006 all im saying is bumpers have been lowered as newer trucks get newer

Dean2 02-09-2022 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4485129)
Ok well where are the air dams located on 1995 onto 2000 to 2006 all im saying is bumpers have been lowered as newer trucks get newer

My 96 came with an air dam. They were optional order item back then. I removed it when I had the winch mounted. Look at the picture I posted, 1996 versus 2021 2500 Rams. I don't see any evidence of the bumpers getting lower. If anything I see the opposite. No saying it is the case on all trucks, but on Ram 2500s it sure seems to be.

Thanks Stinky and Acleyman. My nephew is really happy about getting it to drive. He uses it for hauling the utility trailer, pulling the boat etc and the rest of the time it is parked in a heated garage. He says every where he goes someone is trying to buy it off him and guys come over just to look at the truck and talk. Both he and his son are big time car nuts so thought that was a good place for it and he will take as good a care of it as I did. didn't want to sell it to someone who would use it as a cheap boonnie basher.

Grizzly Adams1 02-09-2022 08:31 AM

Some of us would call that putting lipstick on a pig. :lol:

Grizz

Stubb 02-09-2022 09:52 AM

The superduty's front valence always bugged me how low it is. I replaced it with the valence for a 2wd as it's 3-4" shorter and same mounting system.

pittman 02-09-2022 01:09 PM

Seems like all the new trucks have a front valence that hangs down pretty low. My understanding is that they assist with fuel economy. I've heard from a few folks that have taken them off that it made a noticeable difference.

curtz 02-09-2022 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4485112)

Behind the valance they have 2 of these steel brackets bolted to the frame, they call them Prius catchers. They are supposed to stop a car from going underneath if you get in a head on collision.

vance 02-12-2022 08:41 AM

fuel economy?

Curtz,
Curious to find out if your modification has a measurable effect on fuel economy. I like how it looks. I have an F150 with same air dam and it made me nervous this hunting season hitting drifted snow. Didn't tear it off, but one day it will, so I am interested in doing the same to my truck.
Vance

Tronneroi 02-12-2022 10:17 AM

Both of my dodge's valences were removed by parking blocks...

EZM 02-12-2022 10:44 AM

My last 2 vehicles had their air dams removed ....... in the bush and on the spot .... lol

fordtruckin 02-12-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vance (Post 4486759)
Curtz,
Curious to find out if your modification has a measurable effect on fuel economy. I like how it looks. I have an F150 with same air dam and it made me nervous this hunting season hitting drifted snow. Didn't tear it off, but one day it will, so I am interested in doing the same to my truck.
Vance

You have a lift or front end leveling kit on it? I had the dealer install a front end leveling kit on my 2018 f150 and it really made a difference. Was about 250$ installed. I haven’t really noticed much for fuel economy change since the modification.

EZM 02-12-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtz (Post 4485385)
Behind the valance they have 2 of these steel brackets bolted to the frame, they call them Prius catchers. They are supposed to stop a car from going underneath if you get in a head on collision.

Same reason the put crash bars just behind the front valence - which seems to be a precautionary piece of steel bar there.

Many guys take the plastic air dams off, remove the crash bars (you can cut them short then unbolt them and it will allow more clearance for a bigger tire.

elkhunter11 02-12-2022 11:59 AM

Anything that you do that increases the ground clearance , and lets more air under the front of the vehicle will increase fuel consumption, that includes removing the air dam, or installing a leveling kit, or a lift.

Dean2 02-12-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4486924)
Anything that you do that increases the ground clearance , and lets more air under the front of the vehicle will increase fuel consumption, that includes removing the air dam, or installing a leveling kit, or a lift.

Agreed. The best mileage gains came from improving the Aerodynamics on pickups. The lower front ends, valances, skinnier D rated tires etc all add a little more to better mileage but for those of us that use them off road, the mileage comes at the expense of off road performance/clearance. I set the truck to get the performance I want, the mileage penalty is just something you have to lice with.

Dale S 02-12-2022 12:30 PM

You can buy a Tremor valance from Ford for $160. There made for a sharper incline approach. Only 2.5 inches. Don't ask how I know. The Trevom's don't have the 2 steel brackets. I get 14.9 liters per 100 on average. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2d22527d75.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...dd242a4a88.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c6948aad72.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

curtz 02-12-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Curtz,
Vance

It's a shop queen mostly but do take it out on days off, I will check it next days off. A guy would think with the shorter valance it would be less air drag and better on fuel.

elkhunter11 02-12-2022 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtz (Post 4487051)
It's a shop queen mostly but do take it out on days off, I will check it next days off. A guy would think with the shorter valance it would be less air drag and better on fuel.

Actually, it works the opposite, the lower the air dam, the less air getting under the truck and into the undercarriage, the less air drag.

curtz 02-16-2022 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Curtz,
Vance

Took the truck to town last night for curling, on the way home set the cruse at 105km, flat stretch of road and -15c. 12.4l L per 100km, I think in the summer/fall it was around 11.5 or so. Still pretty new and haven't taken it on a long trip empty, used mostly for pulling 5-wheel and boat to the lake and hunting. I think 12.4 is around 22 - 23 mpg, for a 1ton diesel I'm good with it.

Dale S 02-17-2022 02:58 PM

I have a little heavier foot than you. Usually 10 k over the speed limit. My average is 14.9. My truck is parked outside so it idles lots to warm up. Looks like the same truck.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk