Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   fox advise (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=363972)

coolpete1 05-17-2019 07:38 AM

fox advise

hey guys , i got a fox on a murder spree here with my chickens , i've seen him 3 or 4 times now but i can never get a shot at him. my dogs can't catch him so i'm left with trying to trap him . he's killed 30 or so chickens in the last few months , which now leaves the birds locked down till he's gone. what kind of trap can i use that won't hurt my dogs if they get in it? i can see the spot i want to put it from my house .

calgarychef 05-17-2019 07:48 AM

We always kept our chickens behind wire and never lost one, well except for that weasel...

Redhorse Ranch 05-17-2019 08:31 AM

fox trapping

You will need a damage control permit to set a trap or snares in the off season. The regs say you may hunt but not trap at any time of the year ...

coolpete1 05-17-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch (Post 3977379)
You will need a damage control permit to set a trap or snares in the off season. The regs say you may hunt but not trap at any time of the year ...

yeah I know , the question is what trap to use , I can read the regs.

Big Grey Wolf 05-17-2019 09:33 AM

fox

I also have a very sly fox killing our cats. If I set a conibear or leghold trap I may catch one of my dogs. I do not relish staying up half the night with a shotgun. Fox are very smart and usually will not go into a cage trap.

coolpete1 05-17-2019 09:47 AM

this guy is sneaky as hell , the dogs can't catch him either , not for lack of trying .

dugh 05-17-2019 12:25 PM

Use a live catch or some two coiled spring rubber jawed foot holds, release pets easy.

Redhorse Ranch 05-17-2019 01:02 PM

none

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolpete1 (Post 3977409)
yeah I know , the question is what trap to use , I can read the regs.

Sorry my bad.

HunterDave 05-17-2019 01:46 PM

Last year I tried catching the fox out at the farm that ate my Daughter's cat. I bought a large live trap at Peavey Mart and I couldn't get it to go into it. I had a problem with the farm dogs going in and eating the bait too......lol. Maybe set up a trail cam and see if you can pattern him and then set up to shoot him.

Big Grey Wolf 05-18-2019 07:05 AM

fox

Dugh, bought coiled spring/ rubber jawd traps. However hesitated to use them as thought might damage one of my hunting dogs foot. Do you know if anyone used them and caught dog by mistake and legs okay?
Dave, how about sitting out all night with a shotgun for me on the patterned fox, you can keep the pelt.

dugh 05-18-2019 07:15 AM

BGW, I've only caught fox, coyote and a turkey vulture in soft catch traps. All of ours are 4 spring though. A live catch would work if you use for bait whatever they've been killing, set close by.

AlbertaAl 05-18-2019 08:32 AM

I would set-up a wireless buzzer at the hen house that rings a chime in your house to waken you. Have a yard light shining on the location and have your scoped varmint rifle ready. Hopefully you have an illuminated reticle scope and set-up a shooting table/location.
I have these wireless buzzers on my acreage for security reasons...they are activated when anything walks across their path. Even a Robin will set it off.

South west trappin RG 05-18-2019 02:10 PM

I have caught many dogs in rubber jaw traps in clouding mine. Only thing it hurts is their pride. Stick your hand in one an see what it’s like.

Big Grey Wolf 05-19-2019 08:32 AM

Thanks South West, I will risk my dogs on the rubber leg holds. However I will not test the trap with my hand, have caught my fingers in enough conibear traps, most unpleasant experience. Still waiting for Dave to offer to sit up all night with his shotgun.

gtr 05-19-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3978143)
Thanks South West, I will risk my dogs on the rubber leg holds. However I will not test the trap with my hand, have caught my fingers in enough conibear traps, most unpleasant experience. Still waiting for Dave to offer to sit up all night with his shotgun.

I would hold out, for Dave. :)

Thunder Elk Hunter 05-19-2019 07:47 PM

I have seen ATA instructors put their hand in a #3 soft catch 2 coil spring trap with no finger damage. Would not try it with a 4 coil spring trap.