Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking to get in to trapping (have questions) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348701)

tex92 07-29-2018 06:36 PM

Looking to get in to trapping (have questions)

I was a licensed trapper for about 5 years in another province. And I have now lived in alberta for about the same (5 years). I would like to get in to trapping here but I have a few questions:
1. Has any one transferred there trapping license from one province to another? They do it with hunters ed so will they do it for trapping?
2. I know there are two types of trappers in Alberta an registered licence and resident licence. My question is if I were to choose to be a resident trapper right now, say in a number of years down the road when i retire and have more time on my hands can I change to a registered trapper?
3. If i can not transfer my license, then where is the best place to do the trappers course?
4. Any other information you guys can pass on would be great!

expedition 07-29-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattgoulding (Post 3819002)
I was a licensed trapper for about 5 years in another province. And I have now lived in alberta for about the same (5 years). I would like to get in to trapping here but I have a few questions:
1. Has any one transferred there trapping license from one province to another? They do it with hunters ed so will they do it for trapping?
2. I know there are two types of trappers in Alberta an registered licence and resident licence. My question is if I were to choose to be a resident trapper right now, say in a number of years down the road when i retire and have more time on my hands can I change to a registered trapper?
3. If i can not transfer my license, then where is the best place to do the trappers course?
4. Any other information you guys can pass on would be great!

1 i dont think so regs say must have taken alberta trapping course for rfma. probably could with resident trapping licence. Need proof
2 no problem i think you can hold both at the same time
3 depends on your location ata does travel. Contact westlock office for dates and times

tex92 07-29-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expedition (Post 3819009)
1 i dont think so regs say must have taken alberta trapping course for rfma. probably could with resident trapping licence. Need proof
2 no problem i think you can hold both at the same time
3 depends on your location ata does travel. Contact westlock office for dates and times

I'm in fort Saskatchewan so Edmonton area, I'm sure they do a course out this way at some point. How long is the course? Just a day?

expedition 07-29-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattgoulding (Post 3819032)
I'm in fort Saskatchewan so Edmonton area, I'm sure they do a course out this way at some point. How long is the course? Just a day?

September 21 23 IN Westlock

D4l3k 07-30-2018 07:44 AM

read the alberta trapping regs a couple of time so you are familiar with alberta laws
ie) the seasons, the areas, the forms you need for private land trapping, what are legal traps and sets, what you can trap if you are a resident trapper compared to a RFMA trapper etc

go down to the edmonton fish and wild life on 50st (they are closed from noon to 1 for lunch everyday)

take your previous province license and other documentation

get your resident trapping license (i think it costs 21 bucks)
this allow you to trap private land with permission from the land owner

if you want to own a RFMA, first you will need to find someone to sell you one, (typically range from tens of thousands into hundreds of thousands)
before f&w will transfer it to you:

a) you need to prove you are actively trapping for the last 3 years
b) you need to be a junior on the RFMA you want to take over
c) you need to have the alberta trapping course in the last 5 years (regardless if you have taken in previously)