Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Highlander Hunting Podcast topic ideas? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=351272)

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 09-14-2018 02:01 PM

Highlander Hunting Podcast topic ideas?

Hey Alberta hunters,
for those of you that aren't familiar, we have a Calgary based hunting podcast.
We say:
Offering tips, instructions, and stories about backcountry hunting on public land.

Podcasts are free to download- we make no money from it.

Anyhow, with the big game season here I thought I'd put up a post and see if anyone has any suggestions on topic ideas they would like us to cover.

So if anyone has suggestions about a guest or topic that you would find interesting. Just shoot us an email.

Best of luck to all this season.

John
highlanderhuntingpodcast@gmail.com

heretohunt 09-14-2018 04:50 PM

Kevin Wilson would be a good guest. Bow hunting and white tails.
Meat care in the field and preparation is always a good one.
Tactics for finding big elk on crown land in Alberta.

Brbpuppy 09-14-2018 06:23 PM

How about vehicle preparations and emergency gear like what recovery tools and stuff you would bring with your hunting rig. Among other preparedness stuff for the back roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattthegorby 09-14-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brbpuppy (Post 3841007)
How about vehicle preparations and emergency gear like what recovery tools and stuff you would bring with your hunting rig. Among other preparedness stuff for the back roads.

I really like this idea.

How about one discussing less talked about techniques. Stuff like moccasins for stalking, ducks with no decoys, spears, sling shots, etc...

Boogerfart 09-14-2018 07:51 PM

Proper vehicle prep and maintaince, must bring items for back country driving, etc is a often overlooked thing that gets people in trouble every year.
It would be good to see more focus on the trip in and out as opposed to just the hunt, we tend to get tunnel vision going in and skip over potentially critical steps/items.

MooseRiverTrapper 09-14-2018 07:52 PM

How about some Alberta Bios and the topic can be wildlife management strategies.

getatmewolf 09-14-2018 11:09 PM

How about any of the local Alberta writers, I enjoy story podcasts particularly when they are relatable. I also enjoy your technical gear talks, reloading and backcountry.

Brbpuppy 09-15-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogerfart (Post 3841062)
Proper vehicle prep and maintaince, must bring items for back country driving, etc is a often overlooked thing that gets people in trouble every year.

It would be good to see more focus on the trip in and out as opposed to just the hunt, we tend to get tunnel vision going in and skip over potentially critical steps/items.

Exactly.... I love these podcasts, and hope that you guys cover this topic.

cody j 09-16-2018 06:58 AM

Interviewing some biologists, or other people involved in managing Alberto's wildlife, all sorts of stuff to talk about - caribou, wolf management, CWD,hunting draws etc

rangerstan 09-16-2018 08:04 AM

podcast ideas

Hiring outfitter for hunts- what to ask, how to find them (caribou, elk, moose cougar etc) rates, success rates etc

Controversy issues - guides directly taking residents for hunts (ie:sheep)

Stinky Buffalo 09-16-2018 10:04 AM

Highlander Hunting Podcast topic ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by getatmewolf (Post 3841145)
How about any of the local Alberta writers, I enjoy story podcasts particularly when they are relatable. I also enjoy your technical gear talks, reloading and backcountry.

That’s a great idea.

There’s one of the local ones that also does courses on how to deal with dangerous wildlife. A chat with him would make for a great podcast.

dugh 09-16-2018 10:19 AM

How about the synergy between the Alberta Trappers and the hunting community discussing predator management, collaboration and cooperation? Or F&W enforcement?

Does a person subscribe to your podcasts :test: ?
Thank you, Doug

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 09-18-2018 07:11 AM

thanks for the ideas guys. We'll run them through the sausage maker and see what comes out!

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 09-18-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugh (Post 3841628)
How about the synergy between the Alberta Trappers and the hunting community discussing predator management, collaboration and cooperation? Or F&W enforcement?

Does a person subscribe to your podcasts :test: ?
Thank you, Doug

Doug, you can subscribe or just download individual episodes. If you listen on your desktop the easiest way is to go to:
highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Or you can get it through iTunes, Google Play, or Stitcher.

Fisherdan 09-18-2018 08:55 AM

Once you did a hunting rifle podcast... perhaps a podcast about shotgun selection, use, etc might be fun.

Jordan_BHA 09-18-2018 08:39 PM

Be real cool if you could get someone from Jimbow's to sit down and talk gear and archery hunting.

Stinky Buffalo 09-19-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan_BHA (Post 3842840)
Be real cool if you could get someone from Jimbow's to sit down and talk gear and archery hunting.

Oooh, that's a great idea!

dicknormal 09-19-2018 03:37 PM

How about having Shannon Phillips on so we can practice cheap shots before the crowd starts posting harvest pics of their animals.

Swervs 09-19-2018 06:02 PM

I am always interested in people’s camp set ups and ideas.

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 10-29-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

That's the plan. We talked to Jim about coming on but I don't think it will be until after hunting season.

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 10-29-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

That's the plan. We talked to Jim about coming on but I don't think it will be until after hunting season.