Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Unrefurb" SKS? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339535)

10aciousB 02-17-2018 11:03 AM

"Unrefurb" SKS?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched, and no results came back.

I bought a hardwood stock SKS few months ago for a really good price from Cabela's. At the time I didn't really know anything about SKSs, only that there are few things more Canadian than owning an SKS LOL. All I knew was to buy Soviet, check the rifling, and check the bolt. I really haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it since. I basically just field stripped it once I got it home to look for any rust/pitting before tossing it in the safe, where it's lived ever since. I took it out the other night just to give it a once over as I'm planning on putting it into a Sabertooth aluminum chassis. In doing so, I started noticing some things, and I think I might have a non-refurb!

- No refurb [/] stamp on the receiver or stock
- No xxx'ed out serial numbers on the stock
- Blued barrel, no BBQ paint
- Silver bolt and bolt carrier
- Blued rear sights (refurbs usually get "in the white" rear sights)
- Non- painted bayonette

While I know that none of these things by themselves necessarily mean it's a non-refurb, but all things combined? I was also under the impression that if you buy from a big box store, it will be a refurb.

I'm hoping there's someone considerably more knowledgeable that I am that could give me some insight. I really don't want to mess with it if it's a collectible, even if only somewhat.

Grizzly Adams 02-17-2018 04:25 PM

Take it apart, new, pristine parts will be self evident.

Grizz

KGB 02-17-2018 07:07 PM

Congrats of buying the SKS, you now officially joined the club, LOL!!
Chances that this is non refurbished gun are one out of 10,000000.... doesn’t mean that you should put it back in to the safe. Clean it well off the cosmoline and go have some fun. It is a fun gun after all!
The best way to clean it is with the boiling water. There are a few videos you can find on you tube how to do it. Check out the CGN site for a lot of great info about this rifle.
Have fun!

Grizzly Adams 02-18-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 3734328)
Congrats of buying the SKS, you now officially joined the club, LOL!!
Chances that this is non refurbished gun are one out of 10,000000.... doesn’t mean that you should put it back in to the safe. Clean it well off the cosmoline and go have some fun. It is a fun gun after all!
The best way to clean it is with the boiling water. There are a few videos you can find on you tube how to do it. Check out the CGN site for a lot of great info about this rifle.
Have fun!

Think the odds are a little better than that, just gotta be somewhat knowledgeable and lucky. I found one at the local gun shop.

Grizz

Ehgun 02-18-2018 09:44 PM

Check out this site. www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=17575

10aciousB 02-20-2018 08:04 PM

Thanks for all the info fellas! I was also told it could be a light refurb, which is exactly what it sounds like...not as comprehensive a a rebuild and mostly original, but with some new/refinished parts. Either way, I'm super happy with this find! It will be thoroughly enjoyed.