Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   First Lakes to open for Canoe/Kayak fishing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=282042)

johnnymacrds 03-02-2016 11:09 AM

First Lakes to open for Canoe/Kayak fishing

I am looking for some info regarding the first lakes to open up where I could put a Canoe / Kayak in and do some fishing or just tour around. Also any easy river canoe spots would be greatly apprecaited. With this warm weather I am hoping to get a trial run or 2 in.. I bought a new 15.6 ft and would like to take it out for a spin ASAP.

I live in Calgary so I am looking for something within 2 hours or so?

Thanks for the help in advance...

Elchinodiablo 03-20-2016 08:45 PM

Im following too. Some fishing along the way would be nice.

Okotokian 03-21-2016 09:42 AM

It's a nice and easy paddle downstream on the Bow if you put in under the Glenmore Trail bridge. Can leave your vehicle there. I'd plan to take out at or soon after the deerfoot bridge by Douglasdale. I got exhausted trying to go against the wind all the way to Policeman's flats.

Foot Stomper 03-21-2016 11:24 PM

Seriously considering a drive out to Winchell Lake to see if it's open... Not holding my breath but a coffee, with the dog and an hour or two in the truck on back roads needs a destination... sometimes...

CurtisV. 03-22-2016 09:29 PM

There is lots open here in the south end.
But also most fishing closed in PP1 I do believe.

Foot Stomper 03-23-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 3180949)
Winchell is completely covered with ice still, no open water.

Thanks for update Jet!

Damn! I was hoping to get my new kayak out for a spin there this weekend...

Ok, plan B... figure out a more southern destination.

cfricker 03-23-2016 09:49 PM

Will be looking for somewhere to try out my new pontoon in the Calgary area as well around middle of April.

Foot Stomper 03-26-2016 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gap Lake today was very nice for my maiden voyage. Never paddled a fishing kayak before and am very happy with my purchase!!

weedhaul 03-26-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 3184590)
Gap Lake today was very nice for my maiden voyage. Never paddled a fishing kayak before and am very happy with my purchase!!

Wow that was today? Was there any ice?

Red Bullets 03-26-2016 10:33 PM

So soon after ice off that water is going to be quite cold. Wear your PDF in case you get dumped. I remember a person dumping a kayak a week after ice off at a local lake and he let out a blood curdling scream as soon as he hit the water and was very lucky someone in a boat was a minute away or the cold water would have got him in 4 or 5 minutes.

Foot Stomper 03-27-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedhaul (Post 3184681)
Wow that was today? Was there any ice?

No ice on it at all. It's in a pretty good spot for the sun to warm it up and a few springs I think help too.

Foot Stomper 03-27-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3184725)
So soon after ice off that water is going to be quite cold. Wear your PDF in case you get dumped. I remember a person dumping a kayak a week after ice off at a local lake and he let out a blood curdling scream as soon as he hit the water and was very lucky someone in a boat was a minute away or the cold water would have got him in 4 or 5 minutes.

That water was about the same temp I like my beer. :happy0180:

Good point on the Pfd. I was wearing the new auto inflate Pfd and forgot it was even on its so comfortable.

weedhaul 03-27-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 3184899)
No ice on it at all. It's in a pretty good spot for the sun to warm it up and a few springs I think help too.

Think I'll head out there with the kayak this week! Thanks!