Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anticipation, or how do you get through your work day when you want to go FISHING?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=428939)

Drewski Canuck 02-01-2024 10:04 AM

Anticipation, or how do you get through your work day when you want to go FISHING??

Sitting here looking at the picture of my friend's 70 cm walleye from last Sunday. Fishing wasn't that great, but fish like that can make you forget about all the time spent on the ice waiting for a hit.

Now I sit with the anticipation of next weekend.

How does a person focus on work when you really want to go fishing?

If anyone else has a strategy, just tell me.

It is true that hope was invented by a fisherman.

Drewski

RACKER 02-01-2024 10:20 AM

I feel your pain. Last Saturday at Pigeon I had a great day. Weather was perfect and the fish were biting. Now today I’m bummed out having to work and seeing the beauty day outside. All I do is rewind the past days and be happy that I was rewarded with fun times and set a positive goal for next outing. But I’m sure wishing I was out there. Best of luck to all that are enjoying the outdoors

AlbertanGP 02-01-2024 11:20 AM

I remind myself of my three children in professional programs in university...

58thecat 02-01-2024 11:30 AM

one word...retire...:)

Drewski Canuck 02-01-2024 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertanGP (Post 4697996)
I remind myself of my three children in professional programs in university...

Brother I know your pain!

Middle child finishing up this April and youngest one has a few years left to finish off Med.

Then I am free to go fishing!

Drewski

BuckCuller 02-01-2024 01:43 PM

Nothing makes time go by like hard work.

Immerse yourself in your work and bust your butt.
That way time flies by then boom it’s the weekend.

SamSteele 02-01-2024 02:09 PM

MLF is streaming at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiloil37 02-01-2024 03:47 PM

Never had a problem getting through the week/weeks prior to fishing trips. Basically it works like this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...33edd5363c.jpg

The only trouble I have is getting asleep and staying asleep the night before. I haven’t found a cure for that but I typically get into a good sleep about 2:20 am just in time for the 2:30 alarm.

New2Elk 02-01-2024 07:45 PM

I’m currently working on setting up field programs at a variety of locations. I’m choosing to send myself as the field personnel to some of the sites based entirely on how good/accessible the fishing is in the area. That way I can get my fishing in on my lunch break or in the evenings. I’ve had some prime fishing on a number of sites over the last few years, and I don’t travel for work without my fishing rod.

Frank_NK28 02-01-2024 09:32 PM

I found the best approach for me has been to switch career paths and work a 14 on 14 off schedule. I get to fish and hunt alot more than I did doing the 5-6 day work werk gig...

Rvsask 02-02-2024 05:43 AM

The only day I actually find hard is the Friday of the May Long Weekend. I’m probably not there mentally. For the rest of the year I just work when I have to and worry about angling when I can.

SNAPFisher 02-02-2024 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckCuller (Post 4698041)
Immerse yourself in your work and bust your butt.
That way time flies by then boom it’s the weekend.

That is pretty much it for us working shlubs. I also get things all ready for the weekend so I'm packed and good to go. But it ain't easy waiting!

Drewski Canuck 02-02-2024 12:30 PM

A few more hours and I am on the Road!!

Nice thing about the days getting longer is that I will get on the ice today for last light.

Drewski

58thecat 02-02-2024 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4698382)
A few more hours and I am on the Road!!

Nice thing about the days getting longer is that I will get on the ice today for last light.

Drewski

That is awesome!
Catch’em up and enjoy the outing.

ZJHoban 02-04-2024 11:03 PM

I just skip out early :)

Drewski Canuck 02-09-2024 08:25 AM

The problem with having a great weekend fishing with good friends, and the following weekend you can't go, is that you really really look forward to the Family Day Weekend!

I did get to fish Monday late afternoon as I had work in the area, and what made things even worse is that I caught an even bigger burbot than the ones from Sunday.

Oh well, at least there is Superbowl.

Drewski

SNAPFisher 02-09-2024 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4699988)
The problem with having a great weekend fishing with good friends, and the following weekend you can't go, is that you really really look forward to the Family Day Weekend!

I did get to fish Monday late afternoon as I had work in the area, and what made things even worse is that I caught an even bigger burbot than the ones from Sunday.

Oh well, at least there is Superbowl.

Drewski

Nice on the burbot! I'm curious, how many you caught or are seeing? The best I've done is 2 in a day at Calling but one was 8 lbs.

Drewski Canuck 02-15-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 4700029)
Nice on the burbot! I'm curious, how many you caught or are seeing? The best I've done is 2 in a day at Calling but one was 8 lbs.

Snap,

Maybe PM me. Some people think its bragging, some people ask why so many.

Either way, it was more than that, and the size you experienced and bigger.

Drewski

Drewski Canuck 02-15-2024 09:41 AM

By the way, I tried the boiling in salt water and garnishing with Garlic Butter last night for Burbot.

No, they DO Not taste like Lobster.

But then again, when people where canning Pike in Ketchup and trying to say it tastes like Salmon, alot of alcohol must have been involved in reaching that conclusion!

All the same, Ling boiled in salt water and then drained and garnished with Garlic Butter was pretty tasty!!

It is a great time to be alive!

Now just one more day to get through ...

Drewski

CNP 02-16-2024 09:30 AM

How?

Retire 😊.
I have to fish less. It's getting to be mundane...all this fishing. Definitely have to focus on something else instead of just fishing. I think the happy state is fish, but once a week at most. Maybe three times a week?
https://i.imgur.com/F85H9NI.jpeg

Drewski Canuck 02-16-2024 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4702090)
Retire 😊.
I have to fish less. It's getting to be mundane...all this fishing. Definitely have to focus on something else instead of just fishing. I think the happy state is fish, but once a week at most. Maybe three times a week?
https://i.imgur.com/F85H9NI.jpeg

Mister, you truly are an evil person.

You could have just laughed at me.

You could have just stuck a knife in my back and twisted it.

You could have just reported me to PETA, or the NDP.

But no, you post a fishing picture when I have to do some Accounting before I take off for the weekend.

That was truly a low blow!

But I agree, I really want to retire as soon as I can! And I really doubt I will keep the fishing to only 3 times a week! (There is hunting season also!)

Drewski

WayneChristie 02-18-2024 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4701816)
By the way, I tried the boiling in salt water and garnishing with Garlic Butter last night for Burbot.

No, they DO Not taste like Lobster.

But then again, when people where canning Pike in Ketchup and trying to say it tastes like Salmon, alot of alcohol must have been involved in reaching that conclusion!

All the same, Ling boiled in salt water and then drained and garnished with Garlic Butter was pretty tasty!!

It is a great time to be alive!

Now just one more day to get through ...

Drewski

I smoked burbs before, probably the best fish Ive tasted other than Mahi Mahi :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie 02-18-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSteele (Post 4698049)
MLF is streaming at the moment.

umm . had to go find my glasses to read that right :thinking-006::sHa_sarcasticlol: