Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Great Falls undercover oops! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415994)

D. R. Spivet 10-04-2022 06:42 PM

Great Falls undercover oops!

1 Attachment(s)
First let me say hello to the forum, good to finally join, I will finally get to see all the pictures. This might be worthy of a first post.
This post is related to one runcle of the bailey issued a few days ago about the Great Falls gun show in late September. Involving the RCMP and ATF and not informing everyone of their activities. Attached is a police report of what transpired that day.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1664930352

Hope that worked.

calgarychef 10-04-2022 07:09 PM

So a Canadian cop went across the border without authorization to conduct and investigation? That’s whacked.

Talking moose 10-04-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4564943)
So a Canadian cop went across the border without authorization to conduct and investigation? That’s whacked.

He never checked but figured it’s ok….. what next Chinese cops setting up shop in Canada?

58thecat 10-04-2022 07:19 PM

So where are we going with this?

:party0052:

Twisted Canuck 10-04-2022 07:20 PM

Next thing you know, Federal Cabinet Ministers will be back dating documents submitted to judges, dated April 31st....

https://tnc.news/2022/10/04/minister...ted-documents/

spoiledsaskhunter 10-04-2022 07:27 PM

wife was listening to great falls news the other day and it made the news down there too. man, where is this going to end?

fordtruckin 10-04-2022 08:26 PM

I’ve met that RAC. Glad I wasn’t around for that conversation lol. Reminds me of some I get to escape when my sergeant and captain are involved!

D. R. Spivet 10-04-2022 08:33 PM

Great Falls undercover oops!

It has occurred in the past when returning to Canada from the U.S. when crossing at Coutts/Sweetgrass that you will be questioned leaving the U.S. at that outbuilding that almost never gets used, but has been manned for amber alerts, escaped criminals, and coincidentally when a gun show is in Great Falls.

Sundancefisher 10-04-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4564943)

https://www.montanarightnow.com/grea...d335a2466.html

It was a combine RCMP and ATF undercover operation.

They didn’t tell Montana police so the Montana police asked them to stop and they did.

Not really a story.

3blade 10-04-2022 08:45 PM

royal gestapo officers and their cronies going way offside? No, that never happens

Sheriff should have put them in front of a pro 2A judge. Now that would have been worth watching.

FYI, they have cameras at cabelas in Kalispell. If you stop there with a Canadian plate, they stop and search you at the border. You know, for safety :rolleyes:

Trochu 10-04-2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4564972)

They didn’t tell Montana police so the Montana police asked them to stop and they did.

Not really a story.

Seems like it's a bit more complicated than that....

City police, "loaned" to the RCMP, working with the ATF, working in a foreign nation, and all three agency's "forgot" to inform LEO in said foreign nation? Just randomly speculating, watching people at shows.

I feel Canadian police watching Canadian citizens in a foreign country is quite similar to Chinese police watching Chinese citizens in a foreign country, and feel both are news worthy.

lannie 10-04-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 4564973)
royal gestapo officers and their cronies going way offside? No, that never happens

Sheriff should have put them in front of a pro 2A judge. Now that would have been worth watching.

FYI, they have cameras at cabelas in Kalispell. If you stop there with a Canadian plate, they stop and search you at the border. You know, for safety :rolleyes:

I have been in Kalispell Cabelas many times and have never been searched at the border.

Sundancefisher 10-04-2022 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4564983)

City police, "loaned" to the RCMP, working with the ATF, working in a foreign nation, and all three agency's "forgot" to inform LEO in said foreign nation? Just randomly speculating, watching people at shows.

I feel Canadian police watching Canadian citizens in a foreign country is quite similar to Chinese police watching Chinese citizens in a foreign country, and feel both are news worthy.

I don’t know. Feels like the typical story missing info and jumping to conclusions.

For instance… is it the RCMP’s responsibility to inform all levels of enforcement in the US or is it the lead US agency… in this case the ATF.

Is this really that serious or just exaggeration of a story to sell news to the frothing masses.

Not saying you are wrong…

But with what we know it sounds like nothing more than an administrative ops on the part of the ATF… or someone in Montana forgot to read an email memo?

elkhunter11 10-04-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

It is absolutely ridiculous, that police would be operating in a foreign country, without the local authorities being aware of their presence. It's too bad the Montana police didn't haul in these foreigners, and treat them to a cavity search.

roper1 10-04-2022 09:26 PM

Wut in he!! are they doing in Great Falls? There's not a lot of roads northbound & not many border crossings. This cloak & dagger stuff really did the deed on the Wortman file, they KNEW what he had & where it came from.

Pioneer2 10-04-2022 09:28 PM

When did Kalispell get a Cabelas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 4564986)
I have been in Kalispell Cabelas many times and have never been searched at the border.

I haven't been there in a decade or more since we can't buy reloading components.All they had was Snappy's and Sportsman Haus .

Battle Rat 10-04-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 4564986)

Same here and have been at many Cabelas and Scheels and have never been searched.
Just a BS fear mongering story.

marky_mark 10-04-2022 11:58 PM

Quote:

Hahahahah
Now I’ve heard it all

Go across the street to the ski haus
They have way better quality stuff there
And no cameras lol

crazy_davey 10-05-2022 12:38 AM

Quote:

Sorry bud, was just there. Not true. I have a criminal record, if they would have checked anybody, they would have checked me, they didn’t.

And yes, I have a waiver for crossing into the US.

Ackleyman 10-05-2022 07:25 AM

In the US un armed and dealing with big bad gun smugglers ? Even the chick working at the gun show pegged the under cover cop as a potential thief and called the local sharks. What a joke.

Grizzly Adams1 10-05-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

x2, no different.

Grizz

CNP 10-05-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4564972)

Not really a story.

True enough. It's embarrassing but it's not the fault of any Canadian police institution. They were a unit in an operation that was led by the ATF. The ATF failed to pass this on to the local police and supervise the operation. Thats where the problem lies.........with the ATF. Most of the comments here are so way off they are laughable. We tell the government to leave us law abiding firearms owners alone and go after the smugglers. Well that is what was going on.

fordtruckin 10-05-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4565057)
True enough. It's embarrassing but it's not the fault of any Canadian police institution. They were a unit in an operation that was led by the ATF. The ATF failed to pass this on to the local police and supervise the operation. Thats where the problem lies.........with the ATF. Most of the comments here are so way off they are laughable. We tell the government to leave us law abiding firearms owners alone and go after the smugglers. Well that is what was going on.

Hmm reading the report it says they (atf) notified the great falls police department. The sheriff claimed the pd has no jurisdiction in the fair grounds, which are entirely within the limits of the city of great falls. Generally sheriffs do not handle city calls as they have their own police and focus on county calls. Sounds like a sheriff upset he was left in the dark and now claiming he controls something that his office would generally avoid.

Trochu 10-05-2022 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4565057)
We tell the government to leave us law abiding firearms owners alone and go after the smugglers. Well that is what was going on.

Sounds like more of a hope and a prayer to me and harassing what are more likely than not, legal gun owners when they cross the border.

elkhunter11 10-05-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4565078)
Sounds like more of a hope and a prayer to me and harassing what are more likely than not, legal gun owners when they cross the border.

They may catch the handloader smuggling a bag of brass or bullets across the border, from the show. Judging by the delays in processing PAL renewals, and transferring firearms, the government/RCMP seems to capitalize on every opportunity to harass legal firearms owners.

59whiskers 10-05-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4565095)
They may catch the handloader smuggling a bag of brass or bullets across the border, from the show. Judging by the delays in processing PAL renewals, and transferring firearms, the government/RCMP seems to capitalize on every opportunity to harass legal firearms owners.

Trudeau is working hard with Biden to do everything possible to discourage law abiding working people to own forearms. With the costs and legislation restrictions it will force young people from owning firearms lawfully. The foxes are ruling the hen house.

midgetwaiter 10-05-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordtruckin (Post 4565069)
Hmm reading the report it says they (atf) notified the great falls police department. The sheriff claimed the pd has no jurisdiction in the fair grounds, which are entirely within the limits of the city of great falls. Generally sheriffs do not handle city calls as they have their own police and focus on county calls. Sounds like a sheriff upset he was left in the dark and now claiming he controls something that his office would generally avoid.

How did nobody else see this? This isn’t an international incident with the RCMP going all cowboy, it’s the county sherrif and the city police having a jurisdictional dispute.

There’s not enough information here to make any determination about what the Canadian officer and ATF were looking for.

CNP 10-05-2022 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordtruckin (Post 4565069)

The politics between a city pd, sheriffs and ATF aside, Canadian police were working with the ATF and responsible to the ATF. The buck stops with the ATF.

CNP 10-05-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4565078)

What would legal gun owners be doing at a gun show in the US? Looking is fine, purchasing items that are not controlled is fine but as soon as a purchase of a controlled item is made then that crosses a line. I have no problem with the entire operation. Let the cops do their job and bust criminals. If you're not a criminal you have nothing to worry about.

elkhunter11 10-05-2022 11:14 AM

If they somehow do catch a firearms smuggler, I just hope that they are charged in the USA, and go to court there, because in Canada, they will just get a slap on the wrist , and be right back smuggling in short order.

Quote:

What would legal gun owners be doing at a gun show in the US? Looking is fine, purchasing items that are not controlled is fine but as soon as a purchase of a controlled item is made then that crosses a line.
In that situation, the person would be violating American laws, so it should be handled by American police, and American courts.