Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mass Shooting in Australia - 7 Dead (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=344628)

CaberTosser 05-11-2018 07:57 AM

Mass Shooting in Australia - 7 Dead

An awful event in Australia has happened that appears to be a probable murder-suicide due to the fact the police there are not seeking a suspect. Of course we’re all familiar with Australia’s draconian gun laws but one thing stood out to me in the article and that was that despite having gun laws as onerous as they already have they still had a representative from a gun control lobby group to interview for the article. This is telling because it reveals the truth about gun control groups and their fundamentalist mentality; they can have the most difficult gun laws on the books short of an outright blanket ban of any and every firearm and they will still want to achieve that total ban. Australia is a perfect example of what our own anti-gun zealots want, for it is obvious that they will never be satiated in their pursuits. Much like the pipeline enviro-protest crowd they’ve tasted victory previously and it only serves to encourage them in their next steps.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/family-...alia-1.3925062

elkhunter11 05-11-2018 08:02 AM

A horrible incident, but it does demonstrate, that even strict firearms regulations do not prevent firearm crimes from occurring.

Scott N 05-11-2018 08:20 AM

I agree with both of you.

260 Rem 05-11-2018 08:39 AM

Notwithstanding the tragedy, this was a domestic incident and had nothing to do with gun control.

CaberTosser 05-11-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3783801)
Notwithstanding the tragedy, this was a domestic incident and had nothing to do with gun control.

I agree with the domestic incident synopsis, that’s pretty cut & dried, but how do you rationalize that it has nothing to do with gun control when the article quotes a representative from Australia’s gun control lobby? Do you think for a moment that representative and their organization will not use the event as an example to further their own cause? Do you think they won’t add the body count statistics from it to every chart in their database?

Of course it’s got to do with gun control!

elkhunter11 05-11-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3783801)

Of course it's a domestic incident, but that won't stop some people from arguing that it would not have happened if the killer did not have access to firearms.

Scott N 05-11-2018 09:49 AM

I was just over checking the CBC website, and they have no mention of this story yet that I could find. The cynic in me can't help but think it's because the CBC often uses Australia for the gun law model we want to follow. Fail!

elkhunter11 05-11-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott N (Post 3783843)
I was just over checking the CBC website, and they have no mention of this story yet that I could find. Thy cynic in my can't help but think it's because the CBC often uses Australia for the gun law model we want to follow. Fail!

Exactly, the story would not support their political agenda.

6.5 shooter 05-11-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3783848)

yup ^^^^

Wolftrapper 05-11-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3783848)

CBC posted it 2 hours ago.
It's their worst shooting in 2 decades. Some could argue some gun control does work. It goes both ways, just sayin.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud gun owner. The same old lame arguments on here won't help anything though.

Scott N 05-11-2018 10:08 AM

CBC's new story now is how the banks are taking it to Sturm Ruger and Remington. My cynicism seems more justified now.

58thecat 05-15-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3783804)
I agree with the domestic incident synopsis, that’s pretty cut & dried, but how do you rationalize that it has nothing to do with gun control when the article quotes a representative from Australia’s gun control lobby? Do you think for a moment that representative and their organization will not use the event as an example to further their own cause? Do you think they won’t add the body count statistics from it to every chart in their database?

Of course it’s got to do with gun control!

Exactly....

6MT 05-15-2018 08:51 AM

I am so sick & tired of these events being called "mass" shootings.

Newview01 05-15-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6MT (Post 3785803)
I am so sick & tired of these events being called "mass" shootings.

X2

West O'5 05-15-2018 01:05 PM

The Gun Grabber lobby will NEVER rest until every last BB gun is prohibited,and this is why we can't give them an inch.Their game plan is divide and conquer.
Too many Fudds here in Canada willing to throw AR and handgun owners under the bus because nobody "needs" those to hunt.....and there goes a cpl hundred thousand non-hunting sport shooters from our ranks.
Next they go after "sniper rifles".....please define what constitutes a "sniper rifle"??Annnndddd.....Another tens of thousands of PRS shooters disenfranchised.
It never ends.......

CaberTosser 05-16-2018 06:39 PM

"You don't need that blunderbuss, you can use a boomerang!" : every gun grabber ever