Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moose Calling (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=19636)

Alberta Record Holder 09-11-2008 11:34 PM

Moose Calling

Anyone having any success calling moose yet?

cider 09-11-2008 11:52 PM

No I havn't had any success and have posponed calling untill the 20th of sept althought I've encountered some very chilly mornings of about -5 it is the time of year that matters.

Alberta Record Holder 09-15-2008 06:35 PM

btt

heybert 09-15-2008 08:46 PM

check back in a couple of weeks.

Gongshow 09-15-2008 08:57 PM

moose calling

saw a monster bull on saturday. tried calling. he wasn't interested. he took a long look at me and then ambled off into the bushes. then again, maybe i'm a lousy caller. I was in the bowzone around edmonton.

double gun 09-15-2008 09:09 PM

I had a bull answer my grunt on the 8th, but he wasnt too interested, just a soft grunt now and then.

Alberta Record Holder 09-16-2008 06:34 PM

Do you prefer to just use your hands to call or a birch tube?

Alberta Record Holder 09-17-2008 06:10 PM

btt

moosemad 09-17-2008 07:01 PM

Birch bark is the best, although when a bull is in heavy rut you can fart and they'll be interested

double gun 09-17-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Record Holder (Post 184987)
Do you prefer to just use your hands to call or a birch tube?

When I first started calling I planned to use the birch tube, but always seemed to forget it in the truck or at home. I started to use my hands, since then I never take the tube only use my hands. I think they are a good thing, but since I have done well without it I dont bother.

Eager_Beaver 09-17-2008 09:08 PM

any tips or links on how to learn to call em? i need to hear some calls to replicate before i head out

double gun 09-18-2008 08:56 AM

Best advise I can give is to find someone who has called lots in and lives close to you to teach you. Thats how I learned to cow call, and as for bull grunts, I heard one grunting, and just copied it. Its very hard to type sounds on the internet.;) I have never tried it, but some claim a coffee can with a wet shoelace works.....but I have no clue if it would.

BigRackLover 09-18-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eager_Beaver (Post 185541)
any tips or links on how to learn to call em? i need to hear some calls to replicate before i head out

Check this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=moose

northof58 09-18-2008 12:07 PM

Cup your hands and practice saying "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" or "earrrrrrrrrrrr". Make it long and drawn out. Rise in volume and back off at the end. You can add a couple of soft grunts at the end. Everyone's call will be a bit different. Moose themselves are not all the same. If you are even close, you will likely start having success. For the bull grunt try making a "wah" grunt sound. You can do it soft or make it loud and explosive by cupping your hands over your mouth. Make the sound deep within and let it burst out of you, opening your hands as you do so.

I have had bulls respond immediately and that adds a lot of excitement when they start coming in making a lot of noise. But usually success means calling for two to three days in the same area and then they come quietly in.

As you hunt and start having success, you will start hearing the sounds they make and that is best. It is a lot of fun to sit and talk to a moose and get them to respond back to you.

Stinky Buffalo 09-18-2008 01:04 PM

There is a good instructional LP (circa 1970) made by Guy Provost and Elan Enr, I believe, called "The Art of Calling".

My partners and I pretty well had the whole dialogue memorized. :lol: Tradition dictated playing it over and over on the way to camp. The B side is full of examples for practicing with (no narration).

Quote: "Do not prolong the note; the sound is not 'Mooing'. You are speaking the language of a wild animal..."

Good stuff. Still cracks me up. :D

Stinky

Plat0r 04-09-2009 12:10 AM

The Art Of Calling

I've got that record you are mentioning stinky buffalo
if anyone is interested i could sell it or rip it
feel free to ask --> abacusdealer - at - hot/\/\ail.com

-pablo

Stinky Buffalo 09-13-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plat0r (Post 301626)
I've got that record you are mentioning stinky buffalo
if anyone is interested i could sell it or rip it
feel free to ask --> abacusdealer - at - hot/\/\ail.com

-pablo

Just saw your post today, Pablo... Thank you!

I managed to find an mp3 version online:

ABBowman 09-13-2017 01:26 PM

go on youtube youll find tons of moose calling videos