Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fish& Wildlife officer question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365106)

Typical 06-10-2019 09:09 PM

Fish& Wildlife officer question

I was wondering let say for example that you forgot your hunting licence back at the camp, let say 20km or so and on your way back from your evening hunting, you get stop , Can Fish & wildlife officers have the capability to verified if you have a licence on their truck computer ?

Mountainaccent 06-10-2019 09:10 PM

Negative. Must be on you at all times and photos on phone do not count either

boah 06-10-2019 09:23 PM

If you are on your way back, in your truck, you are not hunting. Therefore, you do not need a license.

Mountainaccent 06-10-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 3987958)
If you are on your way back, in your truck, you are not hunting. Therefore, you do not need a license.

That is incorrect.

Trochu 06-10-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountainaccent (Post 3987955)
Negative. Must be on you at all times and photos on phone do not count either

Are you sure, they can't verify? I have a hard time believing that.

Mountainaccent 06-10-2019 09:31 PM

fail to carry a hunting licence when the hunter is hunting under the authority of that licence or when the hunter is transporting game taken under it.
● fail to produce a licence when requested to do so by a wildlife officer.

Mountainaccent 06-10-2019 09:32 PM

Right from the regs. An no I’ve asked if photos of license saved are good and answer is no because the scan them. Oh well not hard to carry them

boah 06-10-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountainaccent (Post 3987964)
fail to carry a hunting licence when the hunter is hunting under the authority of that licence or when the hunter is transporting game taken under it.
● fail to produce a licence when requested to do so by a wildlife officer.

So, where does it say you need a hunting license to drive down the road?

Joe Black 06-10-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Correct.

One of the first things they will always ask you" what are you doing" or " are you hunting"

You are driving, not hunting. Tell them that. You do not need a hunting liscence to drive.

Please chime in if this is incorrect.

If you say/ admit to hunting, then yes. You can be charged for hunting without having it on your person.

Mountainaccent 06-10-2019 09:36 PM

Intent on hunting If you have rifle bow hunting gear your have intent on hunting don’t matter if you just left your spot or not. Written in the regs pretty easy to understand

Joe Black 06-10-2019 09:39 PM

So if you are driving to a shooting range, out of season, with your gun and hunting gear, and state you are not hunting, you can be charged?

Please, charge me. Would have fun with that.

Joe Black 06-10-2019 09:40 PM

Ps.

Please try to prove "intent".

Ha

boah 06-10-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountainaccent (Post 3987970)
Intent on hunting If you have rifle bow hunting gear your have intent on hunting don’t matter if you just left your spot or not. Written in the regs pretty easy to understand

I can have a gun in my truck 365 days a year. Not hunting. As the above poster said, don’t admit to hunting.

elkhunter11 06-10-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Unless you have game in the vehicle.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

And if they check on the computer, and see that you have licenses issued to you, and you have firearms and hunting gear with you, they are going to suspect that you are hiding something. Do you really want to have F&W watching you, because they suspect you of illegal activities?

Mountainaccent 06-10-2019 09:43 PM

I won’t poach. It’s pretty easy to follow regs just easier to carry tags and license so I don’t look for ways to get out of tickets or look like a tool

Joe Black 06-10-2019 09:46 PM

Driving in a vehicle with a gun is not poaching, unless I'm missing something?

boah 06-10-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3987975)
Unless you have game in the vehicle.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Correct, unless it’s monopoly

Joe Black 06-10-2019 09:47 PM

What if I always have game?

mini-moose 06-10-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typical (Post 3987954)
I was wondering let say for example that you forgot your hunting licence back at the camp, let say 20km or so and on your way back from your evening hunting, you get stop , Can Fish & wildlife officers have the capability to verified if you have a licence on their truck computer ?

Yes they can check and verify what licences you hold.

boah 06-10-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountainaccent (Post 3987976)
I won’t poach. It’s pretty easy to follow regs just easier to carry tags and license so I don’t look for ways to get out of tickets or look like a tool

I apologize, I didn’t know there were people that have never made an innocent mistake. I hope you report yourself if you ever accidentally make a mistak. Or else, in your own words, you will look like a tool.

Jim 06-10-2019 09:50 PM

Hunting

Just tell them you are hunting rabbits or some other game that doesn’t require a license. It’s not what they know, it’s what they can prove.

Joe Black 06-10-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mini-moose (Post 3987982)
Yes they can check and verify what licences you hold.

But you need to attach the tag IMMEDIATLEY if you shoot something.

Therefore, if you state you are hunting(big game)and don't have it on you, you can Be charged. Full stop.

clock5849 06-10-2019 09:54 PM

You are not hunting. After driving down the road a while, you remembered leaving your license back at camp. You promptly turned around to go back and get it and hunt if time allows or, start cooking for the boys. Your storyline!

Typical 06-11-2019 06:09 AM

Replies

Thanks for all the answers, but only one member has answer my question, The question was, Can a fish & wildlife officer verified your licence in the field ?
Thanks

Bushrat 06-11-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typical (Post 3988053)
Thanks for all the answers, but only one member has answer my question, The question was, Can a fish & wildlife officer verified your licence in the field ?
Thanks

If your in an area that has cell/internet service and you have your WIN card they can verify. Still doesn't let you off the hook and you are still subject to fines for not carrying your licence/tags on your person if your hunting.

elkhunter11 06-11-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks

He can do that if he has computer access, or if it is during business hours where he can call an office, but it is still an offense to not be able to produce your license if asked.

58thecat 06-11-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Yes.

Or no..

Depends on many variables...

Carry your licence and there will never be an issue....

nebcfarmer 06-11-2019 07:23 AM

Papers! Show us your papers!

pikeslayer22 06-11-2019 07:59 AM

Think his question is “for” a wildlife officer

nast70 06-11-2019 08:17 AM

Its a piece of paper, how hard is it to carry it? I photocopy several and stash them in all my gear. One in the truck, one in my backpack, and another in my jacket and a spare, just in case. Same goes with my fishing licenses. No reason whatsoever to not have a copy on you at all times. Its not the officers responsibility to prove you have a license by checking, its yours, its the law.
To much running around and looking for loopholes and what if scenarios. Its getting tired.