Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   60 Gallon Air Tank Pin Hole (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=370759)

Sooner 10-13-2019 12:15 PM

60 Gallon Air Tank Pin Hole

So after 30+ yrs of use, I found out my stand up tank has sprung a leak beside the drain cock when I fired it up on Saturday. I know it is from rust(and my bodyman experience tells me the whole bottom is ready to go now so patching is out) and in doing some googling, I realize it is a hazard now, so when I need to fill a tire or use it, I will run it with the drain open so it fills enough to do the job but won't let it pressure up.

I bought good quality back then and it still has a great top end(motor part). Really don't want to or can afford a new compressor.

A welding shop should be able to remove the bottom cap, make something up and weld a new one on? Basically lose the rusty crusty bottom end? Or is that job going to be as costly as a new compressor? Bonus part about this is they can install a big drain valve vs that tiny one it came with.

Anyone have this done? If you know a welder/shop on here in Edmonton and area who I can support, pm me.

thanks

45/70/500 10-13-2019 12:36 PM

100 lb propane bottle works really well for a replacement tank

Dean2 10-13-2019 01:05 PM

You can buy the tanks separate for a lot less money than a whole new compressor. An 80 gallon tank is under $300, whereas a good quality compressor would be a couple of thousand at least. That would be the way I would go if the top end is still in good shape. You can often find large tank compressors on Kijiji real cheap, strip off the crap compressor and use the tank.

Sooner 10-13-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4039147)
You can buy the tanks separate for a lot less money than a whole new compressor. An 80 gallon tank is under $300, whereas a good quality compressor would be a couple of thousand at least. That would be the way I would go if the top end is still in good shape. You can often find large tank compressors on Kijiji real cheap, strip off the crap compressor and use the tank.

Thanks for the tip, that would work for me.

brslk 10-13-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner (Post 4039179)
Thanks for the tip, that would work for me.

Keep an eye out at Princess auto. I often see 60 and 80 gallon tanks go on sale for around $300 as Ken said. It would cost you more than that to have your current tank repaired.

Ken07AOVette 10-13-2019 04:35 PM

I have a stand up tank I am not using, you can have it if you want it. There is a motor and compressor on it, but the compressor I am sure is done. I can bring it next time I come to Edmonton if you want.

I will put up pics if you are interested. Its a nice looking red one.

amosfella 10-13-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4039147)

x2. I did one from Princess when they brought the new tanks in. I had to cut the mounting plate and bracket off the old compressor, cut the mounting plate and bracket off the new compressor, and weld the old plate and bracket on the new compressor. Kinda funny, I did all that, dad got a screaming deal on a IR 80 gallon unit, and never used the one I fixed for 2 years... haha

I think it's going into the other shop when I get it cleaned up and get the machine tools set up.

Kolibri 10-13-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner (Post 4039122)
Anyone have this done? If you know a welder/shop on here in Edmonton and area who I can support, pm me.

Looks like you solved the problem, repair is a gonna cost way more than buying a new one, and any B pressure welder would likely avoid touching it.

sourdough doug 10-13-2019 06:49 PM

Assuming that the OP has his answer, is there anything one can put in the tank to prevent water build up or to slow down rust...I ask this as info for the OP...
Yeah, right....ha

Ken07AOVette 10-13-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourdough doug (Post 4039257)
Assuming that the OP has his answer, is there anything one can put in the tank to prevent water build up or to slow down rust...I ask this as info for the OP...
Yeah, right....ha

Drain it more often you do not want to introduce contaminants

sourdough doug 10-13-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 4039258)
Drain it more often you do not want to introduce contaminants

Yeah....if I were to install a timed blowdown,

Ken07AOVette 10-13-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourdough doug (Post 4039260)
Yeah....if I were to install a timed blowdown,

smart- the local cabinet maker has one, cool unit

Dewey Cox 10-13-2019 07:26 PM

In regards to the suggestion of using a propane tank...

It's my understanding that air tanks are painted inside to resist rust, while propane tanks aren't. (Making them unsafe for compressed air duty)

Rancid Crabtree 10-14-2019 08:22 AM

I don't want to be the guy jumping down people's throat.
But you are seriously underestimating the dangers of a air tank failing.

For fun calculate the volume of air at atmospheric pressure that is held in a air tank at 120 psi. It's unbelievable how much energy is contained in even a small 20 gallon compressor tank.

Discard the old tank, it's absolutely not worth the risk.

gunluvr 10-14-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree (Post 4039434)
I don't want to be the guy jumping down people's throat.
But you are seriously underestimating the dangers of a air tank failing.

For fun calculate the volume of air at atmospheric pressure that is held in a air tank at 120 psi. It's unbelievable how much energy is contained in even a small 20 gallon compressor tank.

Discard the old tank, it's absolutely not worth the risk.

X2. An air compressor tank is a certified pressure vessel. Any changes (cutting, welding, etc.) compromises the original engineer's certification.

Bushrat 10-14-2019 09:15 AM

Google "air compressor tank failure images"

Ken07AOVette 10-14-2019 09:25 AM

Amazon.ca has timed releases for $50

Puma 10-14-2019 11:21 AM

I have an auto low pressure blow down valve on mine, when the tank gets below 20 psi the valve opens and drains the water etc out of the tank to drain.

Sooner 10-16-2019 03:31 PM

Hi all, appreciate the responses. I do keep the drain open but 30 plus years takes it toll. Rust stops for no one lol.

Looks like Princess Auto sells a 60 gallon tank assy less motor for 400 bucks from what I see online. I will swing by a store and see if they have one to look at. Most likely the easiest way to go.

Thanks again