Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Where to start looking for mid-priced bows? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=168891)

Vingiu 02-22-2013 02:48 PM

Where to start looking for mid-priced bows?

I'm thinking of getting into archery this winter, in preparation for hunting some moose next season. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choices available, and so I'd like to hear some of your guys' opinions.
Where's the best place (or brand) to start with for a mid priced bow? I need to stay below $700, I don't want to have to fork over more than a few hundred bucks after I've sold my rifle. I'd even consider a traditional bow if it's the right price. Draw weight largely won't be an issue either, as long as it's not a 110 pound monster. What's a good manufacturer to start looking at?

RayL42 02-22-2013 02:55 PM

Your local pro shop is the best place to start. Shoot all the bows in your price range (new and used) and purchase the bow that feels the best to you.

Mtnbowhunter 02-22-2013 03:28 PM

Try trophy book archery. They will get you set up.

280remington 02-22-2013 04:02 PM

Just picked up a new mathews chill at trophybook today.the service there is outstanding very friendly and helpfull.and they have lots of bows in diffetent price ranges to try out.good luck

Ultimate Predator 02-22-2013 04:48 PM

Try swampdonky outdoors and save your self $300 way cheaper then trophy book

Zuludog 02-22-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator (Post 1860906)

^^^ They are are closed until the 22nd? I phoned there today and the phone message said they were closed. I've only been there once but the service was really good.

Vingiu 02-22-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator (Post 1860906)

$300 less for a mid-priced bow package? That sounds like a tall order -- I hope you're right :) I'll check them out as well as trophy book.

Ultimate Predator 02-23-2013 02:06 AM

Got my new pse dna from swamp 720$ bucks trophybook wants 899 now new rest sight quiver a few other goodies add it up

ASAT1 02-23-2013 08:10 AM

You should try the Bowtech assasin out, its a wicked package and less vibration then the Pse Stinger ,and for the $300 sheaper thats hard to believe on package bows seiing their only $399 - $700 to begin with so to see a Stinger for $99 ,I might have to come up there and buy a few to sell to archery shops down here and make some money for myself:sHa_shakeshout:

Stik'em 02-23-2013 09:15 AM

Trophy Book has a bunch of bows on clearance because they are discontinued, they are listed on the website I believe I saw two bowtech destroyers for 600. I've deal with both Trophy Book and Swamp donkey. I only let Trophy Book do work on my bow because they so far have only done what I ask, or if they see something they've called me to confirm.

I bought my Hoyt from Martin, he is great to deal with, he just didn't do the tech work on my bow like he said he would (didn't cost me anything). Otherwise his service is tough to beat, I find he is prices are better for everything too, from Broadheads to Tree stands. He just likes to BS a lot, haha.

Stik'em

schian 02-23-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stik'em (Post 1861727)
Trophy Book has a bunch of bows on clearance because they are discontinued, they are listed on the website I believe I saw two bowtech destroyers for 600. I've deal with both Trophy Book and Swamp donkey. I only let Trophy Book do work on my bow because they so far have only done what I ask, or if they see something they've called me to confirm.

I bought my Hoyt from Martin, he is great to deal with, he just didn't do the tech work on my bow like he said he would (didn't cost me anything). Otherwise his service is tough to beat, I find he is prices are better for everything too, from Broadheads to Tree stands. He just likes to BS a lot, haha.

Stik'em

You hit the nail on the head with Martin, haha.
Does good work, but he likes to talk for sure. Good guy tho, probably gonna be picking a new bow up from him pretty soon here.

To the OP I have a package I'm looking to sell, pretty much ready to go, a few years old but only asking $225, just needs a rest.
PM me for pics if you are interested.

Schian

normanrd 02-23-2013 06:19 PM

I was at Trophy book today and was surprised to see that they had no consignment / used rack, only new stuff. They said it was because there are too many used ones around and they dont have the space to do it. Just fyi.

Vingiu 02-24-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schian (Post 1862246)
You hit the nail on the head with Martin, haha.
Does good work, but he likes to talk for sure. Good guy tho, probably gonna be picking a new bow up from him pretty soon here.

To the OP I have a package I'm looking to sell, pretty much ready to go, a few years old but only asking $225, just needs a rest.
PM me for pics if you are interested.

Schian

PM sent. Thanks Schian. Thanks to everyone else as well, I'll start doing some looking at both of those stores.

Nytronut 03-16-2013 12:55 PM

Not sure how you have made out butI have a very nice used Hoyt Vipertec for sale that is fully equipped with 10 carbon arrows for $600.00.

brohymn2 03-16-2013 09:34 PM

if your a lefty i have a bowtech assassin for sale in the classifieds

Donkey Slayer 03-17-2013 08:18 AM

my next bow I will give swamp donkey a try. met him at the sportsman show and I was impressed with his customer service.

My present and first bow i purchased at TB. Based on my perception of attitute received, as I mentioned I will give swampdonkey a try. Maybe I just caught a bad day. Please note, my username has nothing to do with the shop.

schian 03-17-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampdonkey (Post 1891645)
my next bow I will give swamp donkey a try. met him at the sportsman show and I was impressed with his customer service.

My present and first bow i purchased at TB. Based on my perception of attitute received, as I mentioned I will give swampdonkey a try. Maybe I just caught a bad day. Please note, my username has nothing to do with the shop.

Martin's a good guy, likes to BS and knows his stuff. Gotta take him with a grain of salt though and don't tell him you bought your other bows at TB haha, he likes to rag on every other shop/ bow tech out there. Likely you'll hear him call them story book or something and then go on about how bad they are.
Either way, his prices are hard to beat and he's good with a bow thats for sure.

Schian

fishnchicks 03-17-2013 10:30 AM

Check out Jimbows

If your lookin in calgary, check out Jimbows. Amazing service and so much knowledge. So much selection. He will set you up and you will walk out of there with the biggest smile on your face! I promise...:sHa_shakeshout: