Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   February suffield cow elk quota hunt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=238941)

george 1979 12-11-2014 11:50 AM

February suffield cow elk quota hunt

Local hunters will get two opportunities early in the new year to help cull the ever-growing elk population at the Canadian Forces Base Suffield.

Alberta Environment and Susatainable Resource Development (ERSD), in partnership with the Department of National Defence, will hold a quota hunt for antlerless elk during two four-day sessions in February.

The first will run from Feb. 2-5, with the second one going Feb. 9-12.

ERSD says each season will have an allocation of 125 antlerless elk licences and each licence will have two tags associated with it, allowing hunters to harvest two antlerless elk.

Hunting antlerless elk in February is not new in Alberta, ESRD says. It is a management tool used in areas where ungulate depredation is consistently a problem in late winter. There is currently a season in wildlife management unit 300 that runs between Dec. 25, 2014, and Feb. 21, 2015.

The licences will be made available through a draw process. Applicants will have a specified time period in which to apply for a licence on-line or via a licence distributor. Successful applicants will be selected through a lottery style draw, making the process equitable for all Albertans.

Jamie 12-11-2014 11:58 AM

I would love to do this hunt with Willy. Unfortunately I have no place for the meat. Between the fish and the Bull Elk I managed this fall, the freezer is FULL.
Anyone want the meat if Willy can pull the tag?

WildOrchid 12-11-2014 11:59 AM

We were just wondering about this over breakfast. Good to know thanks for the post. :)

smith88 12-11-2014 12:23 PM

Who in the heck could handle two cow elk on a single license?

YoungGun77 12-11-2014 12:27 PM

Was this a result of the AGM? Does 'local' mean resident? Anymore information would be great. Thanks.

NFTrapper 12-11-2014 12:27 PM

Any idea when the draws are available to submit for?

lucky_magic_stick 12-11-2014 12:31 PM

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...uota-hunt.aspx
Here's a link to the rest of the information if anyone is curious.

Cheers,
Brett

npauls 12-11-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 2654160)
I would love to do this hunt with Willy. Unfortunately I have no place for the meat. Between the fish and the Bull Elk I managed this fall, the freezer is FULL.
Anyone want the meat if Willy can pull the tag?

I would take the meat for sure.

I didnt get anything this season and would love a freezer full of elk for the family. I would pay for the butchering or butcher myself if your son did get the tag and gets an elk.

I will also try for the tag but i only have a bow so i would need to find someone with a rifle that could join me for the hunt.

iliketrout 12-11-2014 12:58 PM

Too bad it's only Monday-Thursday hunts. It would have been nice to see the hunts over the weekend for those who work Monday-Friday...

Sooner 12-11-2014 02:58 PM

I didn't get a deer or a moose this year. May have to put in and see if were lucky. Thanks for posting. Could be a fun hunt.

Flight01 12-11-2014 03:13 PM

wording

There will be two, four day hunting seasons as follows:
•February 02 - 05, 2015
•February 09 - 12, 2015

Each season will have an allocation of 125 antlerless elk licenses and each license will have two tags associated with it, allowing hunters to harvest two antlerless elk.

Hunting antlerless elk in February is not new in Alberta. It is a management tool used in areas where ungulate depredation is consistently a problem in late winter. There is currently a season in wildlife management unit 300 that runs between December 25, 2014 and February 21, 2015.

The licenses will be made available through a draw process. Applicants will have a specified time period in which to apply for a license on-line or via a license distributor. Successful applicants will be selected through a lottery style draw, making the process equitable for all Albertans. Hunt details are as follows:
•The application period will open at 9:00 am on January 05, 2015
•The application period will close at 11:59 pm on January 14, 2015
•Draw results will be available beginning at 9:00 am, Monday January 20, 2015. At this time, licenses will be available for purchase.
•Licences are available to residents of Alberta
Group size for application is limited to two hunters.
No partner licenses will be available.
•There is no priority associated with this opportunity. All applicants will have 0 priority and there are no priority points given for unsuccessful applicants.
•All applicants must be eligible to hold an Alberta resident hunting license.
•Licences can be purchased online at albertarelm.com or a licence issuer
•Must be in possession of a green online paper tag in order to purchase the licence online
•Application Cost is $3.65 plus GST
•Licence cost is $9.00 plus GST

Posted: Dec 11, 2014

So I have never applied for a group license before. I have also yet to add a partner post draw. Why do you figure they wrote it this way? If its a one time , no priority points lottery draw why would it matter? Does it just cut down on applications? By you and your buddy having to apply as a group
are they avoiding you applying and your buddy applying and then whoever is successful adds the unsuccessful as a partner?

SteveY66 12-11-2014 03:18 PM

:)Fingers crossed love elk to much to pass this up!

Hawckeye 12-11-2014 03:34 PM

It isn't a group hunt. The base only allows one helper per hunter. This helper may also be a hunter but not necessarily.

Hawckeye 12-11-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliketrout (Post 2654226)
Too bad it's only Monday-Thursday hunts. It would have been nice to see the hunts over the weekend for those who work Monday-Friday...

Unfortunately the base is used for military training over the weeks for organizations like the Reserves.

Warrior 12-11-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawckeye (Post 2654397)
It isn't a group hunt. The base only allows one helper per hunter. This helper may also be a hunter but not necessarily.

This year you are allowed more than one helper.

cotang 12-11-2014 04:05 PM

Hunt Procedure

So what the procedure if you get drawn? Because its a military area, do you call them up and setup a time because a helper will be with you? I'm not 100% sure how to go about this....

Roughneck71 12-11-2014 04:39 PM

yep

I will throw my name in for sure after a terrible season.....cooking up my last 2 packs of last years moose tonight.....
Darrell.

slopeshunter 12-11-2014 04:41 PM

"So what the procedure if you get drawn? Because its a military area, do you call them up and setup a time because a helper will be with you? I'm not 100% sure how to go about this.... "

There is a early morning briefing each morning of the hunt which you must attend. Here you will learn all you need to know.

elkhunter1234 12-11-2014 05:04 PM

Antlerless Elk Quota Hunt February 2015

In response to concerns regarding the elk population at Canadian Forces Base Suffield (CFB Suffield), ESRD in partnership with the Department of National Defence at Canadian Forces Base Suffield is planning to hold a quota hunt for antlerless elk at CFB Suffield (wildlife management unit WMU 732) in February of 2015.

There will be two, four day hunting seasons as follows:

February 02 - 05, 2015
February 09 - 12, 2015
Each season will have an allocation of 125 antlerless elk licenses and each license will have two tags associated with it, allowing hunters to harvest two antlerless elk.

Hunting antlerless elk in February is not new in Alberta. It is a management tool used in areas where ungulate depredation is consistently a problem in late winter. There is currently a season in wildlife management unit 300 that runs between December 25, 2014 and February 21, 2015.

The licenses will be made available through a draw process. Applicants will have a specified time period in which to apply for a license on-line or via a license distributor. Successful applicants will be selected through a lottery style draw, making the process equitable for all Albertans. Hunt details are as follows:

The application period will open at 9:00 am on January 05, 2015
The application period will close at 11:59 pm on January 14, 2015
Draw results will be available beginning at 9:00 am, Monday January 20, 2015. At this time, licenses will be available for purchase.
Licences are available to residents of Alberta
Group size for application is limited to two hunters.
No partner licenses will be available.
There is no priority associated with this opportunity. All applicants will have 0 priority and there are no priority points given for unsuccessful applicants.
All applicants must be eligible to hold an Alberta resident hunting license.
Licences can be purchased online at albertarelm.com or a licence issuer
Must be in possession of a green online paper tag in order to purchase the licence online
Application Cost is $3.65 plus GST
Licence cost is $9.00 plus GST
Posted: Dec 11, 2014

catnthehat 12-11-2014 05:06 PM

Soooo, as I understand it, one hunter can take two elk on a single licence, or two hunters can take one elk each on a single licence??:confused:
Cat

elkhunter1234 12-11-2014 05:10 PM

Each Hunter can take 2 cows, so 250 hunter = 500 anterless elk.

Jamie 12-11-2014 05:10 PM

Cat, as I understand it.
One licence 2 tags
No partners allowed.
Thats a crap load of meat.

I just spoke with Will and we are going to try for this tag!

Jamie

catnthehat 12-11-2014 05:17 PM

Okay, but where dose the two hunters for each application come in?

Cat

Cory1 12-11-2014 05:25 PM

Two comments:
1) Any idea why weekend dates aren't included?

2) Don't like the idea that results are released on the 20th of Jan, with the first hunt starting the 2nd of Feb. Sure doesn't give much notice to get time off work and what not.

I'll put my name in the hat since I couldn't find the time for one this fall due to school.

Jamie 12-11-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 2654513)

Cat

You can put 2 names in the same envelope
You get drawn and its 4 cows.

Jamie

blgoodbrand1 12-11-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 2654513)

Cat

You can apply with a maximum of 2 wins on the same application. You both get 2 tags or you both get nada.

Habfan 12-11-2014 05:41 PM

Not 2 hunters ! 1 hunter and a helper ! But I don't think any helpers on this hunt ! That would make it tough unless you use gutless method !

Lefty-Canuck 12-11-2014 05:45 PM

Now why wouldn't they just issue one tag/ Hunter and double the number of tags = more opportunity? Or allow the hunter to designate one partner? How many guys will shoot one elk and let the other tag go unfilled?

Weird....

LC

Habfan 12-11-2014 05:50 PM

I read no partner lisences issued with these tags so you must shoot both if drawn !! I wonder if you can still hunt with someone in your vehicle just to help with loading, cleaning, etc. ?

iliketrout 12-11-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawckeye (Post 2654402)
Unfortunately the base is used for military training over the weeks for organizations like the Reserves.

Fair enough, thanks for the info. I guess the primary purpose of the base is to train our military!