Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drive on Mcgreggor or CVR? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312993)

slamilton 01-21-2017 07:53 AM

Drive on Mcgreggor or CVR?

Thinking about spending the night on one of these so would hopefully be able to drive one since that is where I would sleep. I dont have a sled or quad to pull gear out. Anyone been out in last few days?
Obviously would do my own checking once out there but would like to see if even possible before I pack up all my gear.

slingshotz 01-21-2017 10:22 AM

McGregor is solid in the north to drive on as of last week. Easily 16-20" with no ice heaves or cracks that I could see. Bring your cleats as it is like zamboni ice between the snow drifts.

chucklesthe3rd 01-21-2017 11:41 AM

Do not drive on crawling valley! Cracks and has lake on top of the lake, super slippery!!!!!!!!!!!!be cautious.

Bullfighter 01-21-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd (Post 3449201)
Do not drive on crawling valley! Cracks and has lake on top of the lake, super slippery!!!!!!!!!!!!be cautious.

Was that from the campground entrance side of lake?

cujo1969 01-21-2017 08:34 PM

Was on McGregor today ice was good drove out with the duramax

bwch84 01-21-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd (Post 3449201)

Was out today at CVR ice is a solid 20" and no slush. Drove out on the east side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slamilton 01-22-2017 12:00 PM

I ended up going to mcgreggor. Ice was very thick everywhere I checked but then as I was playing with my dog I found a spot that only about 2" thick. Looked around a little more and found a couple other spots like that. This was around the corner from the boat launch near the bay.

Habfan 01-22-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamilton (Post 3450305)
I ended up going to mcgreggor. Ice was very thick everywhere I checked but then as I was playing with my dog I found a spot that only about 2" thick. Looked around a little more and found a couple other spots like that. This was around the corner from the boat launch near the bay.

Do you think that was frozen over snow melt, or flood water as some call it ? I have fished that area many times and never found a change in ice thickness like you are claiming ! Was there a beaver dam near ? I am really concerned about this because I fish there often. Were you drilling holes on these spots while playing with your dog ? As you might have found 20 inches of ice under that 2 inches of ice ! ?

slamilton 01-22-2017 05:17 PM

I never thought of it being frozen over flood water. I did start drilling a hole to test it and as soon as the water started leaking thru I stopped as it was only about 2" and didnt want to be there anymore. 5 feet away was perfectly solid 20"+ and was in 11 feet of water.