Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Alberta Firearms Autonomy. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415174)

IR_mike 09-09-2022 01:11 PM

New Alberta Firearms Autonomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7STD52XJhY

Thoughts?

ghostguy6 09-09-2022 01:30 PM

Great! The less power those bone heads in Ottawa have the better it is for the rest of us.

Athabasca1 09-09-2022 01:36 PM

All good to hear that the AB government is offering financial support.

Jim Blake 09-09-2022 01:49 PM

Terri Bryant is very well spoken!!

Twisted Canuck 09-09-2022 02:28 PM

I'm going to have to apply for an ATC.

slopeshunter 09-09-2022 03:47 PM

Good news. TC, I’m sure Tyler can email you that ATC :sHa_sarcasticlol:

traderal 09-09-2022 05:40 PM

Wonder if our local media will show this.

WayneChristie 09-09-2022 06:27 PM

This is great news. my head is still spinning from hearing 3 politicians in a row all making sense! been a long time!:sHa_shakeshout:

Bo21 09-09-2022 06:29 PM

The ATC is that just for say prospectors and trappers? Like I can’t apply for one to have on me when hunting in the middle of nowhere.

The Cook 09-09-2022 06:53 PM

I just love Alberta. I just hate Ottawa under liberal/ndp rule.

Big Grey Wolf 09-10-2022 09:01 AM

Real problem now CFO office in Alberta so backed up like pass port offices. Every Albertan has bought a handgun as we think the Russians are coming and we will need one to defend ourselves with our trusty handgun.
However I am in support of expanded Alberta CFO office if it will improve processing of PAL's, ATT's and ATC's. :angry3:

Phil McCracken 09-10-2022 10:08 AM

Yes there is a backlog...primarily caused by the Feds.

However, this is great news and a step in the right direction in this Province...:)

Battle Rat 09-10-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo21 (Post 4557167)
The ATC is that just for say prospectors and trappers? Like I can’t apply for one to have on me when hunting in the middle of nowhere.

Baby steps but we are a lot closer to that than the rest of Canada.
Teri is all I favor of ATCs but it is a big uphill battle.

Twisted Canuck 09-10-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4557276)
Real problem now CFO office in Alberta so backed up like pass port offices. Every Albertan has bought a handgun as we think the Russians are coming and we will need one to defend ourselves with our trusty handgun.
However I am in support of expanded Alberta CFO office if it will improve processing of PAL's, ATT's and ATC's. :angry3:

I know lots of handgun owners, and have one or two myself, but I don't know anyone who is afraid the Russians are coming and wants to defend themselves.

But I do know our current government wants them, and is getting around to banning them just like scary assault style rifles. They are the only ones who are a concern to me and all reasonable Canadians, whether they own guns or not.

Stuntcarpenter 09-10-2022 05:42 PM

Does this have any immediate effects on restricted transfer times?

urcayuse 09-11-2022 03:13 PM

Although I’m sure this a good step in the right direction I can’t help but wonder what it means in the long term.
Is it just a case of immediate relief for transfer wait times? What happens when Ottawa bans now restricted fire arms? Can our CFO tell the fed to go pound sand?
I’ve carried an RPAL for years now but never bought anything like that. Just wondering if that window of opportunity is going to close forever here soon.

Twisted Canuck 09-11-2022 03:22 PM

Buy one soon or forever hold your peace. Unless PP is the next PM and reverses it, they are all gonna be prohib. And I never count on a politician to do the right thing.

CNP 09-11-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urcayuse (Post 4557683)
Although I’m sure this a good step in the right direction I can’t help but wonder what it means in the long term.
Is it just a case of immediate relief for transfer wait times? What happens when Ottawa bans now restricted fire arms? Can our CFO tell the fed to go pound sand?
I’ve carried an RPAL for years now but never bought anything like that. Just wondering if that window of opportunity is going to close forever here soon.

Feds make the laws and CFO's administer those laws.

https://www.alberta.ca/albertas-chie...ms-office.aspx

Big Grey Wolf 09-12-2022 09:49 AM

Agree with CNP, our Alberta CFO is just a contract employee of the Federal Gov. system with salary paid by Alberta tax payers. Some benefits but not much.
She must still administer and follow Federal laws.

IronNoggin 09-12-2022 02:43 PM

Awesome!
Wish any politico in BC would think the same...

Dick284 09-12-2022 03:44 PM

And if and when (god forbid) the political trade winds shift in the Province, be rest assured Teri will be paid her severance and an appointed lacky of the new regime will take the helm.

This worries me!

urcayuse 09-17-2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4557788)
Feds make the laws and CFO's administer those laws.

https://www.alberta.ca/albertas-chie...ms-office.aspx

Sorry this reply is so late. But doesn’t the RCMP apply those laws? I’m just trying to figure out if this amounts to a kind of not withstanding type deal.

CNP 09-17-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urcayuse (Post 4559672)
Sorry this reply is so late. But doesn’t the RCMP apply those laws? I’m just trying to figure out if this amounts to a kind of not withstanding type deal.

RCMP, Sheriffs and any municipal police force (Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Taber, Camrose, Medicine Hat and Lacombe) are authorized to enforce Federal Acts in Alberta. The notwithstanding clause is used to override a charter right. Firearms ownership/use is not a charter right. IMO a notwithstanding clause is not something that a province can use in order to not comply with the Firearms Act.

roper1 09-17-2022 08:55 PM

Quote:

I would think all Danielle has to do is instruct the prosecutors to concentrate on the bigger fish.

Battle Rat 09-17-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, but how those laws are enforced are not the same.
I have heard that an ATT in Alberta was any time/anywhere.
Where as one in the east was for Bob's gun range from 1900-2100 on Tuesdays.
I don't know if someone in the east would get overlooked by shooting a restricted on their own land.
I do know that in Alberta it is usually a case of "I didn't see it".

urcayuse 09-17-2022 10:31 PM

Well it’s good to see something going our way for a change at least.

CNP 09-18-2022 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4559733)
I would think all Danielle has to do is instruct the prosecutors to concentrate on the bigger fish.

Are you saying that you want an Alberta version of SNC-Lavalin?

Premiers don't suggest to the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General, let alone stepping down to prosecutors on how to proceed on criminal matters. Political interference in criminal matters is a crime in itself.

3blade 09-18-2022 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4559806)

Premiers don't suggest to the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General, let alone stepping down to prosecutors on how to proceed on criminal matters. Political interference in criminal matters is a crime in itself.

At least Danielle isn’t hiding behind closed doors like shiny pony did with SNC. She would announce it at a press conference.

An OIC should be used for catering, not making up laws without debate
The royal gestapo do NOT have legislative powers
Sparkle socks shut down the House for how long? And ruled as a dictator
There is no constitutional basis for a coalition government

So if the province shuts down the enforcement of non democratic, unconstitutional policy I don’t really care how they do it.

roper1 09-18-2022 07:10 AM

Quote:

Don't know current rules, but a few years back horse slaughter is legal in 50 States. For awhile, Nebraska & Texas were the only 2 states with horse plants. I think there is now Zero in the US but have not checked.

Because it's such a hot-button issue, USDA simply did not fund Inspectors for horse slaughter facilities. Maybe political interference, but AFAIK, no harm, no foul.

Failing to prosecute bribery, etc, as in SNC allegations completely different.

ctd 09-18-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Why not the Prime Minister tried to influence the Attorney General, all he did was get rid of one he could not influence for one he could.