Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Ram river area fly fishing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365263)

nimrod 06-15-2019 09:55 AM

Ram river area fly fishing

Anybody know how the south ram river is fishing, looking to go next weekend, any info would be great, thanks

MountainTi 06-15-2019 10:47 AM

Lot of rain out this way, and more to come, I'm guessing it would be pretty muddy. Just a guess though

nimrod 06-15-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 3989568)
Lot of rain out this way, and more to come, I'm guessing it would be pretty muddy. Just a guess though

Ok thanks, hope it clears up my next weekend

smitty9 06-16-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 3989560)
Anybody know how the south ram river is fishing, looking to go next weekend, any info would be great, thanks

The river has been open only 14 and a half hours. Unlikely anyone can give you much of a fishing report.

I personally don't fish the South Ram much (if ever) before July. Water is cold, fish just finishing spawning, not a lot hatch wise. Better options out that way in my opinion for June.

italk2u 06-16-2019 03:29 PM

It looks like they're calling for 60+ MM over the next week in the Nordegg area.
Could be a long wait.

nimrod 06-16-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by italk2u (Post 3989873)
It looks like they're calling for 60+ MM over the next week in the Nordegg area.
Could be a long wait.

I hope this is not the case, the weather man said it was to rain ( website) here to day, no rain so far.

SNAPFisher 06-16-2019 09:58 PM

Seems like it set to come this week. Big cool off, big rain. Good luck.

nimrod 06-24-2019 06:56 AM

Well the trip want pretty good from the start, crossed Hummingbird to the ram trail, hiked to the crossing of the ram in the ranger area, rising a foot and thats all fast flowing, Friday and Saturday fly fishing was blue water clear, so after waking up on Sunday, the ram was muddy over night, so we packed up camp and walked out, until the hummingbird crossing, I was swept down stream, the Hummingbird was a foot higher, caught a big rock and recovered to the south bank, but my friends got across , so I asked them to go to the trail ride people to get me across, all went well with the horse crossing, now still recovering from the hummingbird crossing rising a foot.

From now I will be asking for the horse to get me across both ways. Thanks to the people there for there help, did not get to older guys name, if anybody was it please pass it on.

SNAPFisher 06-24-2019 08:36 AM

That sounds pretty crazy. I'm glad you got out okay. I have personally never seen water rise that quick. That must have been an eye opener.

I've fished the S Ram as early as the beginning of July and it was crossable but one had to be very careful and require a wading staff in some areas. It was not nearly as fun as say an August or September trip so I'm always watching those levels to see when it is more of a pleasure to fish.

Bigwoodsman 06-24-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 3992860)
Well the trip want pretty good from the start, crossed Hummingbird to the ram trail, hiked to the crossing of the ram in the ranger area, rising a foot and thats all fast flowing, Friday and Saturday fly fishing was blue water clear, so after waking up on Sunday, the ram was muddy over night, so we packed up camp and walked out, until the hummingbird crossing, I was swept down stream, the Hummingbird was a foot higher, caught a big rock and recovered to the south bank, but my friends got across , so I asked them to go to the trail ride people to get me across, all went well with the horse crossing, now still recovering from the hummingbird crossing rising a foot.

From now I will be asking for the horse to get me across both ways. Thanks to the people there for there help, did not get to older guys name, if anybody was it please pass it on.

Years ago a fellow riding his horse across that crossing got caught up in the current and drowned. I can't recall if the horse survived or not, and IIRC this was a very experience rider.

BW

MountainTi 06-24-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman (Post 3993103)
Years ago a fellow riding his horse across that crossing got caught up in the current and drowned. I can't recall if the horse survived or not, and IIRC this was a very experience rider.

BW

That is why tie downs shouldn't be used on a horse in that environment.....or ever. And it was on the ram.

Guessing it was Del and Judy that got you across?

nimrod 06-24-2019 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=MountainTi;3993126]

it was on the hummingbird.

Guessing it was Del and Judy that got you across?

You are correct, but Del nor Judy were there, but a older gent that worked with Palmer years ago.

alder 06-24-2019 06:10 PM

That crossing of hummingbird creek right out of the staging area to the trail can get pretty deep. I’ve only been across it on my horses late July and fall so I believe it was as you say. Glad you made it out ok.

How was the fishing before the risky way out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nimrod 06-24-2019 07:58 PM

Well we did not catch any fish, the ram as a little fast, but clear on Saturday as all the streams were, then on Sunday the ram was muddy, but the hummingbird was still clear but now higher than Friday crossing

ehrgeiz 07-03-2019 11:04 AM

Spooky stuff, Hummingbird is usually an easy cross near the staging area. Always a good reminder that things can change and fast when it comes to mountain watercourses. At least there you have a pretty good distance downstream before you hit some drops and canyons. I too know the joy of going through the dishwasher in a river.

nimrod 07-03-2019 11:44 AM

And a big Thanks to the horses that brought me back from the south side, Wrong side of the creek

alder 07-22-2019 07:50 PM

Has anyone been back to this crossing at the Hummingbird that leads to the South Ram Trail recently?

nimrod 07-22-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alder (Post 4004705)
Has anyone been back to this crossing at the Hummingbird that leads to the South Ram Trail recently?

Let me know if you are going, I have a 12 pack of beer to pass on, for the main guy with the horses

alder 07-31-2019 08:45 AM

River was gin clear last weekend. Lots of folks trying their luck out there on the South Ram.

JDK71 07-31-2019 09:44 AM

all creeks and rivers all clear in and around Caroline area

Madpiper 08-06-2019 01:23 PM

Would be great to get up there for an overnight on the bike and do some fishing. The Ram was my first river fishing as a kid, good memories!