Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Waders? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=172649)

BEL 03-25-2013 06:01 PM

Waders?

I am thinking of getting my daughter a pair of chest waders. What are some good brands and what should I look for? Insulated or not? thanks. BEL

The Fisherman Guy 03-25-2013 08:41 PM

I would definitely suggest first of all, breathable stocking foot waders. Yes, you will also need to buy boots. Boots offer much better ankle support, and traction with wide felt soles, as opposed to the rubber boot foot waders. Lighter too.

Insulated waders will get very hot in the summer. Stick with a quality wader which fits her best, it's best to have her try on several diffrent waders to maximise fit. If she gets chilly, she can always layer up.

If she's comfortable, she's happy!

Scott N 03-25-2013 08:46 PM

How old is your daughter? The choices might be limited.

silverdoctor 03-25-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott N (Post 1904011)
How old is your daughter? The choices might be limited.

Yep, good question...

If you can get the size, definitely get breathables with the sock feet. I never wear my neoprene waders anymore, too warm and sweaty.

For cold, you don't really need alot of layers but I find a basic pair of nylon pants over jeans works wonders. Really extends the time you can stay in moving water in winter. In summer, they can't be beat.

I've never had wading boots, $10 sneakers from walmart will last me a season.

BEL 03-25-2013 11:09 PM

She is mid 20's. thanks for all the info guys. BEL

mikeym 03-26-2013 09:07 AM

as for brands, there are a few different ones out there.

Sims, Orvis, Redington and Hodgeman all make some good waders. Sims and Orvis are probably two of the best and the price shows it especially with their guide series. i've had a pair of Redingtons and my latest pair are Hodgeman and both were really good quality waders that had a lot of river miles on them. the Hodgemans i have had for about 10yrs and finally last year a hole wore thru on the seam by the knees. and that was after walking thru lots of bush and tangles without a tear. might just patch them and use them for a couple of more years. wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

that being said i was down at Bass Pro and looked at their White River brand. the higher end pairs looked like they had some real nice features and were pretty well constructed with reinforced knees and crotch and multi layered construction. and they were a pretty good price, under $200. i am really considering maybe purchasing them for my next pair.

Rgds
Mike

FishingFrenzy 03-26-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeym (Post 1904447)
as for brands, there are a few different ones out there.

Sims, Orvis, Redington and Hodgeman all make some good waders. Sims and Orvis are probably two of the best and the price shows it especially with their guide series. i've had a pair of Redingtons and my latest pair are Hodgeman and both were really good quality waders that had a lot of river miles on them. the Hodgemans i have had for about 10yrs and finally last year a hole wore thru on the seam by the knees. and that was after walking thru lots of bush and tangles without a tear. might just patch them and use them for a couple of more years. wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

that being said i was down at Bass Pro and looked at their White River brand. the higher end pairs looked like they had some real nice features and were pretty well constructed with reinforced knees and crotch and multi layered construction. and they were a pretty good price, under $200. i am really considering maybe purchasing them for my next pair.

Rgds
Mike

Check out the reviews before you buy. They have alot of leakage problems...