Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   mexico vacation (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=358747)

walker1 02-01-2019 09:46 AM

mexico vacation

Hi all
Booking a family trip soon. Been to Mexico 6 times and we do like the all inclusive.
Asking if anyone has been to Barchelo in PV?
likes dislike

Thanks

Gary K 02-01-2019 09:59 AM

ive been, nice resort.

personally i like nuevo or bucerias better. PV is too commercial for me.

if it was me id look at something like this,
https://www.vrbo.com/9759

book a cook/bartender a few days for next to nothing and be on your own for a few days.

wwbirds 02-01-2019 10:04 AM

Barcello PV

We were there in January last year. I would go back. It is one of the original resorts so dates to about 30 years ago but is very clean and well maintained.
Beach was a little small and too rough to swim but several pools were great.
Resort is actually gated and about 10 km from Town of PV but a couple times we caught the local bus outside the resort for $1. USD and went into town to sightsee and shop. I would have no issues going back this year but girls decided they wanted something with more beach so we are going to Barcello in Cabo this year.

tbiddy 02-01-2019 10:34 AM

Not to derail but I agree on the VRBO. Depending on when and length of stay they are the best option IMO. But your groceries at the Mega between PV and Bucerias. Or head to Costco. I’d avoid Sayita. Way, way too busy and research the sewage problems they are having due to all the people.

walker1 02-01-2019 11:18 AM

Thanks all.
I also like Nuevo.
Wife likes the inclusive!!! I do...... but need things to do. I take my paddleboard.

The Barchelo in Cabo is nice. I stayed at the resort next to it. Can't use the beach as riptide in brutal.

sewerrat 02-01-2019 07:21 PM

We were in PV during Christmas, we don't do all inclusive just stayed at a small hotel down town. we did walk the beach along the resorts, you will be disappointed at the beaches as they are all very small and lots of rocks and gravel not nice sandy beach. Another suggestion is Ricon de Guayabitos huge beach lots beach bars very safe in town very authentic and there are some nice resorts there as well.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/mx/dec...al&type=total&

Grizzly Adams 02-02-2019 09:09 AM

My favorite, excellent for a family. Eco oriented, lots of wildlife on site, programs for kids.

https://www.sandos.com/sandos-caraco...clusive-resort

Grizz

Ken07AOVette 02-02-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3923736)
My favorite, excellent for a family. Eco oriented, lots of wildlife on site, programs for kids.

Grizz

What do you mean eco-oriented?

58thecat 02-02-2019 09:58 AM

Akumal.....check it out and surrounding area.

Just a beauty area.

Grizzly Adams 02-02-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3923759)

Very natural environment, Dispersed buildings, lots of walk ways through the jungle, you need a map to get around. Historical perspective, there's a Mayan ruin on the property, Bicycle trails and bikes, nature oriented activities, like a survival course. I now know how to start a fire with tin foil and a battery . :lol: loose wildlife , like coatatmundi wandering around the resort, racoons as well, would you believe. Monkeys in the trees and on your table if you put up with them. Not a Nut Bar Greenie place, if that's what you're wondering. Nothing wacky about the food either, including a Japanese restaurant that was great. There is a vegetarian restaurant though, I passed. :D Kids didn't and said it was actually good.

Grizz

TheHammer675 02-02-2019 01:45 PM

nice place to go

omega50 02-02-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3923759)

It means you might get attacked by Mexican Raccoons-Coati like we did.:sHa_shakeshout:
And get food poisoning from the dessert buffet-like we did

But otherwise awesome

kingrat 02-02-2019 05:32 PM

no straws for drinks, and found it smelled like a weird sewer smell all over, otherwise we liked it and the kids loved all the water slides.

thing 02-02-2019 06:59 PM

We stayed at the Barcelo this time of year last year. It is a nice resort. It isn’t in PV, it is south of town, by itself....private. It isn’t a giant resort like you’d see in Nuevo or the Mayan but it’s nice, clean, and has excellent food. Drinks are good too, swim up bar etc. it is in a “U” shaped bay surrounded by jungle, the setting is nice. As someone else mentioned it is a short and cheap bus ride into PV.

There is stuff to see and do south of PV, so being down that way is beneficial. The botanical gardens are worth the trip just for the restaurant, it is fantastic. Also the zoo is across the street (walking distance). I’ve described it as 50% on of the best zoos I’ve been too (I’ve been to a lot!!) and 50 % one of the worst lol.. At night there is nothing close so if you don’t want to spend the evening at the resort you will have to take the bus (or cab) into PV.

Grizzly Adams 02-03-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 3924025)
no straws for drinks, and found it smelled like a weird sewer smell all over, otherwise we liked it and the kids loved all the water slides.

Nobody told you, straws are now environmentally taboo ? :D

Grizz

riden 02-03-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walker1 (Post 3923310)
Thanks all.
I also like Nuevo.
Wife likes the inclusive!!! I do...... but need things to do. I take my paddleboard.

The Barchelo in Cabo is nice. I stayed at the resort next to it. Can't use the beach as riptide in brutal.

We like Nuevo as well, we have stayed at Riu Palace, but I wouldn't take a family there.

I generally prefer resorts that are outside the main town, and they tend to be cheaper.

Riu Jalisco would be a nice place to take your kids.

kingrat 02-03-2019 09:35 AM

Meh, I dont care. I want one for my pina coldas. I also burn lots of plastic at home trying to warm this damn world up but that's another topic.

MoFugger21 02-03-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Grizz

Sorry for the partial derail... We stayed at Sandos with friends, family, kids, etc Dec 2017 and it was a lot of fun. Water park was really good for the kids and even a good way to kick the hangover recovery into high gear for the big kids... Lots of restaurants and bars, nightly entertainment, animals free-wheeling around, free rentals on kayaks and mini sail boats/cabanas. That said, the ocean wading/swimming right in front of the resort is impossible with the rocks/corral, so you need to walk a bit down the beach to get away from that. The resort is HUGE, so bring some comfortable sandals to walk around in. And the resort is in the jungle, so it smells like.... the jungle. The smell isnt near as bad as some make it out to be though.

All told, I'd gladly take the kids back there when they're a bit older (were 3 and 1 when we went) and it's not such a pain getting a 1 yr old around and planning around naps, etc.

tacomama 02-03-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Grizz

Nice!!!
Actually heading there tomorrow :sHa_shakeshout:

kingrat 02-03-2019 04:12 PM

The Japanese restaurant was good the kids liked it. And I liked the meat restaurant where they kept coming with all the meat to your table. Over all it was a good place.

AndrewM 02-03-2019 04:30 PM

For anyone flying out of Edmonton. The crystal star inn is $99 and includes a night stay and a week of parking. Most of the rest are $120 or more.

Ken07AOVette 02-03-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3923828)
Very natural environment, Dispersed buildings, lots of walk ways through the jungle, you need a map to get around. Historical perspective, there's a Mayan ruin on the property, Bicycle trails and bikes, nature oriented activities, like a survival course. I now know how to start a fire with tin foil and a battery . :lol: loose wildlife , like coatatmundi wandering around the resort, racoons as well, would you believe. Monkeys in the trees and on your table if you put up with them. Not a Nut Bar Greenie place, if that's what you're wondering. Nothing wacky about the food either, including a Japanese restaurant that was great. There is a vegetarian restaurant though, I passed. :D Kids didn't and said it was actually good.

Grizz

Tyvm! :)

Ken07AOVette 02-03-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega50 (Post 3923994)
It means you might get attacked by Mexican Raccoons-Coati like we did.:sHa_shakeshout:
And get food poisoning from the dessert buffet-like we did

But otherwise awesome

Ok, avoid Mexico and Cuba. Gotcha!!

Hawaii again sounds great.

omega50 02-03-2019 04:57 PM

And as great as Hawaii sounds some people get nervous when on Tsunami alert.

Ken07AOVette 02-03-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega50 (Post 3924617)
And as great as Hawaii sounds some people get nervous when on Tsunami alert.

The first time we went was 2011. Of course we were there for the tsunami, yay. We didn't like the idea of the wind blowing radiation to Hawaii, but the tsunami did not bother us at all. I knew which way high ground was, rental car had cases of water and snacks already.

RandyBoBandy 02-03-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3924603)
Ok, avoid Mexico and Cuba. Gotcha!!

Hawaii again sounds great.

^ this all day long !! I know one thing for sure in Hawaii, if those red-n-blue lights come on, it's State Trooper not some fake po-po from the cartel :)

thumper 02-03-2019 09:17 PM

'A life lived in fear is a life half lived'

bubba 96 02-03-2019 09:52 PM

Sandos carocol is really nice, as were sandos members we like playacar a little better, headed there mar 7...

Smokinyotes 02-03-2019 10:09 PM

We spent the second week of January in Haultuco. Stayed at the Isla Natura all inclusive. The resort wasn’t the greatest, the food sucked and I spent half of it sick in the room. I’ve never had an issue going to Hawaii.

Grizzly Adams 02-04-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 3924805)
'A life lived in fear is a life half lived'

Thinking of going to see the volcano on Hawaii, only reason that would interest me in going there. :D

Grizz